The Student Room Group

A2 Psychology B'ers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by figuresk8rstudent
Im just going through my notes and writing bullet points. Also doing test papers. Can't wait for psychology to be over!

Good luck!! :smile:

Original post by Cheskahb
Im doing English language in the morning too! I honestly don't know what to do, my hand will be killing me and by the end of the day ill be like a zombie! Im starting to get really nervous now, getting pretty stressed! Going to revise like crazy this weekend :redface:

Ah! It's awful, isn't it? I have bought myself some silicone pen grips to help make it more comfortable to write for such a long time. I'm not sure if they're allowed in the exam though so I may have to take them off - but here's hoping!! Which spec is your English Language? :smile: And I know, I have a medical condition which makes my stamina really bad and so by the afternoon I'll basically be asleep :frown: Best of luck!!
Reply 61
Original post by Cheskahb
The two main parts of the cognitive explanation is Becks theory and Abramsons theory.
Beck said people develop negative schemas through bad experiences with others. There are 4 types of negative thinking: absolutist, over generalisation, selective attention and magnification. Absolutist is that they believe everything must be perfect or it is a disaster. Over generalisation is believing one negative event means everything else is negative. Selective attention is seeing only bad events and ignoring good ones. Magnification is blowing things up out of proportion. The study, is Beck (1978), this identified the cognitive triad of negative thinking, where depressed people think negatively about the self, world and future.
Abramsons theory states hopelessness is the main thought in depression. It consists of negative expectations of the likelihood of positive events and negative beliefs about the individual to influence those events. Study's are Rose(1990) and Kapci (1998)
i hope this helps!

aaah that helps so much thanks, beck is finally making sense to me now so if it comes up ill use beck and probably seligmans learned helplessness with the dog experiment , great for AO2 ethics!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunnysideup12
Good luck!! :smile:

Ah! It's awful, isn't it? I have bought myself some silicone pen grips to help make it more comfortable to write for such a long time. I'm not sure if they're allowed in the exam though so I may have to take them off - but here's hoping!! Which spec is your English Language? :smile: And I know, I have a medical condition which makes my stamina really bad and so by the afternoon I'll basically be asleep :frown: Best of luck!!

Im doing aqa b for English, I bought the really expensive gel type pens fromw Wilkinsons for this exam as my hand hurts normally after an hour! I do hold a pen really funny so I'm prone to blisters all over my hand, not pretty haha. And I'm dreading it, I have anaemia so hopefully I won't be tired that day. They should give you some kind of recognition if you have a medical condition :frown:
Original post by esme-96
aaah that helps so much thanks, beck is finally making sense to me now so if it comes up ill use beck and probably seligmans learned helplessness with the dog experiment , great for AO2 ethics!

Posted from TSR Mobile

See I haven't been taught that study at all! I've been looking up past exam papers and I'm realising how much my teacher hasn't taught with regards to study's. I'm praying that they don't ask for a specific study in the exam as I definitely won't be doing well!
Reply 64
Hi I'm self teaching and struggling with Substance Abuse and remembering the Psychologists to quote and the studies. Does anyone have any revision notes or ways to remember the studies? Thank you
Reply 65
I did that last year! I chose Social Psychology and Phobias on unit 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

any tips? how was it last year?
Reply 66
anyone else doing moral development, cognition and law, forensic?
any predictions??

noticed on my PSYB2 re-sit there were a lot of research based questions for example in section one there were 2 questions about counter-balancing. Kinda hoping that with the new syllabus coming in september that they're recycling questions :smile:
Original post by vickyA95
any predictions??

noticed on my PSYB2 re-sit there were a lot of research based questions for example in section one there were 2 questions about counter-balancing. Kinda hoping that with the new syllabus coming in september that they're recycling questions :smile:

Cognition and Law - totally stressed about that lol
Original post by vickyA95
any predictions??

I'm doing moral development and forensics too!
i know that with moral development a question has never been asked about the following:
1. Gilligan alone (possible for whole 12 marks to be on her
2. Ways of investigating moral development (12)
3. Sex differences in moral development (12)

For forensics I'm not quite sure it could be, the following is ares for 12 markers:
1. Ways of measuring crime
2. Offender profiling
3. Theories of offending
4. Dealing with offenders
5. Treatment programmes for offenders
Reply 69
Teacher predictions for PSYB3: (She predicted this years PSYB1 and 2 essays perfectly)

Social Development: Friendships
Forensics: Measuring Crime, or discuss both types of profiling
Schizo/Mood Disorders: Treatments for mood disorders
Good luck to everyone doing psyb3 today, I'm doing schizophrenia/depression, cognition and law and moral development.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck everyone.
Doing attachment, cognition and law, schizophrenia and mood disorders :-D
Good luck everyone.
Doing attachment, cognition and law, schizophrenia and mood disorders :-D

Do you have any predictions for the essay question on cognition and law? I'm stressing abit about it haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Littlemissmae
Do you have any predictions for the essay question on cognition and law? I'm stressing abit about it haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea :-( It's the worst topic for me but either this or Stress so decided on cognition and law!
No idea :-( It's the worst topic for me but either this or Stress so decided on cognition and law!

Okay don't worry, I hate this topic too haha! I really hope it's not composite systems 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Good luck everyone!!! I'm so nervous, doing attachment, schizophrenia and mood disorders, forensic psychology... :s-smilie:
First two questions on substance abuse.. Fu*k.

Example of health promotion/education intervention? Had no idea.. 2 marks lost.
2 limitations of health promotion/education? Wtf? 4 marks lost..

What did everyone put for the a/b/c/d questions? I had B and C, but the second one I'm not sure..

Overall, wasn't that bad.. Nice 12 marker on mood disorders and substance abuse, ok 12 marker on social development..

Also, what did people put as to why it's good to observe same children over long period of time? I've put less extraneous variables as participant variables are constant = higher validity.. Not sure that's what they will be looking for.
Cognition and law questions - totally threw me :-(

Social development was by far easier.

Schizophenia and Mood Disorders - struggled with first question so just highlighted the explanations and included references to statistics.

Hope we all have done well or I'll cry lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
I think it went quite well in places, loved the mood disorders essay question and the forensic essay question! Didn't do so well on the social development essay though!

How did everyone else do?
Reply 79
Original post by CheesusCrust
First two questions on substance abuse.. Fu*k.

Example of health promotion/education intervention? Had no idea.. 2 marks lost.
2 limitations of health promotion/education? Wtf? 4 marks lost..

What did everyone put for the a/b/c/d questions? I had B and C, but the second one I'm not sure..

Overall, wasn't that bad.. Nice 12 marker on mood disorders and substance abuse, ok 12 marker on social development..

Also, what did people put as to why it's good to observe same children over long period of time? I've put less extraneous variables as participant variables are constant = higher validity.. Not sure that's what they will be looking for.

To be honest I'm drained I can remember the questions or what I wrote but I was pleased with the questions maybe not too sure of my answers tho.

The next exam I find difficult any help or advise would be appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending