The Student Room Group

Do you think many young guys in our society lack a real purpose in life?

I'm referring to guys in the age range of 18-28 or thereabouts. I feel like many guys in this age range lack a real purpose in life, just from my own experiences and observations. I think guys are much more competitive than girls and they have a much greater desire to achieve things, be successful and make something meaningful of their life (not saying some girls aren't like this too, but the vast majority are not). Many guys will try to compensate for this lack of purpose in different ways and I list a few of these below:

- Gyms are full of guys in the weights area trying to bulk up and put on large amounts of muscle. What for exactly? If you want to be healthy, just do a bit of cardio and light weight training. We don't need strength either - we don't live in caveman times anymore and most people do not do intense physical manual labour.

- The vast majority of crime is committed by males in our society. Why is this? Because they feel like they lack a purpose in life. They want to be recognised and noticed, and crime in this perverse way helps them to achieve this. Of course there are other reasons people commit crimes too, not denying that.

- Guys try to sleep with as many women as possible. Yes I'm sure they have high sex drives but why the need to sleep with so many random women? Because they want to achieve something and people often respect guys who can bed many women.

I think the lack of purpose in life is felt significantly more by males than females in our society. Women are generally content with a stable life, having an average job, marrying a nice man, having kids and not achieving anything particularly amazing or interesting in their lives (yes some women won't be content with this, but the majority will be). Males recognise once they reach the age of 18/19, many opportunities where they can achieve huge recognition (eg. sports, singing) are closed off to them and I think this is a depressing thought for them that the rest of their life is going to be spent in the 9-5 rat race like every other nobody.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, what do you think are the driving emotional factors of unemployment and depression?
Reply 2
Original post by Riku
Yes, what do you think are the driving emotional factors of unemployment and depression?
Hi Riku! :ahee:

Do you think the lack of purpose is felt much more in guys than girls? I feel like ignorance is a good thing to have in these times.
Reply 3
Original post by Bassetts
I'm referring to guys in the age range of 18-28 or thereabouts. I feel like many guys in this age range lack a real purpose in life, just from my own experiences and observations. I think guys are much more competitive than girls and they have a much greater desire to achieve things, be successful and make something meaningful of their life (not saying some girls aren't like this too, but the vast majority are not). Many guys will try to compensate for this lack of purpose in different ways and I list a few of these below:

- Gyms are full of guys in the weights area trying to bulk up and put on large amounts of muscle. What for exactly? If you want to be healthy, just do a bit of cardio and light weight training. We don't need strength either - we don't live in caveman times anymore and most people do not do intense physical manual labour.
- The vast majority of crime is committed by males in our society. Why is this? Because they feel like they lack a purpose in life. They want to be recognised and noticed, and crime in this perverse way helps them to achieve this. Of course there are other reasons people commit crimes too, not denying that.

- Guys try to sleep with as many women as possible. Yes I'm sure they have high sex drives but why the need to sleep with so many random women? Because they want to achieve something and people often respect guys who can bed many women.

I think the lack of purpose in life is felt significantly more by males than females in our society. Women are generally content with a stable life, having an average job, marrying a nice man, having kids and not achieving anything particularly amazing or interesting in their lives (yes some women won't be content with this, but the majority will be). Males recognise once they reach the age of 18/19, many opportunities where they can achieve huge recognition (eg. sports, singing) are closed off to them and I think this is a depressing thought for them that the rest of their life is going to be spent in the 9-5 rat race like every other nobody.

What do you think?

I bulk up for the looks that is achieved, I feel good from the DOMS, and cardio isn't my thing.
Also play Rugby, so needed there.

Violent crimes could be said, because men have high testosterone, and want to prove themselves worthy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi Riku! :ahee:

Do you think the lack of purpose is felt much more in guys than girls? I feel like ignorance is a good thing to have in these times.

I think that both sexes are capable of having an existential crisis but men are more likely to suffer from it practically (unemployment, suicide etc.) Women with it will tend to have low self-esteem and feel dependent on others. I could be compeltely wrong here.
Reply 5
There seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation about what it means to live a happy, successful, productive life and how you might go about achieving that. Perhaps we should teach basic life goals at school?

Unfortunately, a lot of people who are held up as examples of happy, successful, productive people are anything but. Pointless celebrities, reality tv losers, juvenile and overpaid footballers, thieving bastard bankers, lottery winners, cockney wideboys like Sralan Sugar. None of these are good role models.
Reply 6

What do you think?

-People go to the gym for all kinds of reasons, there's a lot of people here who play rugby/american football..etc so the extra muscle comes in handy. I don't see why you have an axe to grind with aesthetics, most guys could probably name at least one celeb who has the kind of body they would like. The difference is they actually go out and try to get it.
Plus I couldn't live with myself if I was going to the gym to do "light training". That smacks of weaksauce.

-This like many other areas is where males are over-represented, possibly could link with higher testosterone.

-They have high sex drives and if they stuck to the same woman, they'd lose attraction for her quickly plus the sex would decrease. Hence why it's better to switch up sexual partners.

All in all, I wouldn't say males in their 20s have no purpose, in actual fact I think what a guy does from the age of 20-30 is going to completely shape his life. Hence why women around the age of 30 are constantly sizing up men and their potential material gain for the future.
Reply 7
Gyms are full of guys in the weights area trying to bulk up and put on large amounts of muscle. What for exactly? If you want to be healthy, just do a bit of cardio and light weight training. We don't need strength either - we don't live in caveman times anymore and most people do not do intense physical manual labour.

What do you think?

You're missing the point slightly. There are many reasons why people throw weights around gyms and it is not necessarily to gain strength. You cannot build a well toned body without lifting weights, and lifting light weights will only go so far. Your body adapts to the weight and so you need to overload the muscle with a heavier weight. You get stronger and strength allows you to lift more weight, which if you eat enough protein and some good carbs and plenty of rest will result in bigger muscles. Strength is a component of what gets you the big muscles but it isn't necessarily the reason why people lift weights.
Reply 8
Original post by Algorithm69
Absolutely, yes. I feel the biggest factor in this is that our education system is failing boys.
how do you think it fails boys?
Reply 9
There a quite a few studies I remember reading that show teacher bias (whether consciously or unconsciously) when treating boys and girls. Teachers are far more likely to label mischievous boys as "troublemakers" and treat them more harshly than mischievous girls, which obviously would plant a destructive mindset in boys.

There are also arguments that the feminisation of education has led to the destruction of the types of learning boys revel in, such as competition or aggressiveness. Education is a sterile place now and it's unsurprising boys feel suffocated in that environment, and are discouraged from expressing their natural instincts in productive ways (instincts that are on overdrive thanks to puberty). Everything that leads to competition is banned. Conkers, yo-yos, pogs, tag etc. It's taboo to have an environment where one person can revel in succeeding over another. No, everyone's a winner. In fact I think one of the only subjects boys still excel in over girls is sports.

So yeah, I'm not surprised girl outperform boys. Or that male university dropout rates are much higher than female dropout rates. Or that women consist of the majority of the university population.

You do bring up some very good points.

I also agree that men lack purpose in life, mediocrity or repetition is not an option for most of us including myself. We constantly want ways to prove ourselves, to stand out and show that we are worth something to society, a male's worth is completely determined by what he achieves whether professionally or socially, where as women will always be held in high regard. For a lot of guys it is difficult finding enough avenues to do this and society definitely seems to be becoming ever more constrictive in this regards.
Agree with what is in OP...I touched on this subject a bit in the thread about why men committ suicide more.
Reply 11
True. The OP also mentioned men in gyms. As a "bodybuilder" myself (and I use the term loosely) I can completely understand why men do this. It's a great way to earn respect from both men and women without being a rich academic genius. In fact it might be one of the only ways for academically challenged men to earn respect. After putting on 2 1/2 stone of muscle it's quite astonishing how people treat you differently. Men and women constantly compliment you, women are more sexually attracted to you, men change how they talk to you as they're slightly weary, people move out of your way in the street etc. And for once in their lives it's something they can say they're an expert in and teach other people.You just become elevated in society.

actually, most people laugh at you behind your back because they assume you must have a really small penis. true story.
Reply 12
Cool story, bro.

is that like one of these meme things you have learnt?
Reply 13
Sure is.

Do you have to subscribe to a mailing list to get the new ones or is there some site you go to?
Reply 14
Definitely. I didn't want to do anything but doss around until I woke up when I was 19 and kicked myself back into education..

And I see guys older than me who have not woken up like I did.
Reply 15
The majority of the types of guys the OP mentions are essentially the "lads" at school who spent their time drinking Strongbow at the park on a Friday and dominated the fingering area at parties. They grow up to be adult versions of that - overwrought, pedestrian, meandering, unambitious. They'll probably get a wife who will end up hating them, they'll have a mistress who hates them, they'll have kids who hate them. It's a sad state of affairs.
100% Everyone feels like they are something special. But guess its down to celebrity culture in a way our failing education system and lack of jobs out there.

Its like males and females are not as compatible any more lol. Men are beginning to act more like women!
Reply 17
Everyone goes through this stage in their life; trying to find themselves in society. There is nothing unusual about it,
Reply 18
Original post by cole-slaw
actually, most people laugh at you behind your back because they assume you must have a really small penis. true story.

Key phrase there: behind your back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Mackay
The majority of the types of guys the OP mentions are essentially the "lads" at school who spent their time drinking Strongbow at the park on a Friday and dominated the fingering area at parties. They grow up to be adult versions of that - overwrought, pedestrian, meandering, unambitious. They'll probably get a wife who will end up hating them, they'll have a mistress who hates them, they'll have kids who hate them. It's a sad state of affairs.
I think I am similar except I was never a lad at school and never spent my time drinking Strongbow or dominating the fingering area of parties (does fingering area mean what I think it means?).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending