The Student Room Group

How valuable is a 2:1 degree from a Russell Group university?

Would having a 2:1 degree or higher from a Russell Group university be a huge advantage for a young person to have in today's grim unemployment scene? Or is it overrated?

Would it be enough to enable a young person to get a well-paid job relatively quickly after graduating and enjoy a comfortable quality of life, despite this broken economy we're facing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JamesTheCool
Would having a 2:1 degree or higher from a Russell Group university be a huge advantage for a young person to have in today's grim unemployment scene? Or is it overrated?

Would it be enough to enable a young person to get a well-paid job relatively quickly after graduating and enjoy a comfortable quality of life, despite this broken economy we're facing?

Not necessarily no.
Reply 2
Depends which RG it's from and which subject.
Reply 3
It's only as valuable as what you make of it. Unless you're one of these financially challenged folk who pick a subject purely because they're interested in it and not partially for job opportunities.
Reply 4
Pretty much. Its opens ALOT of doors for you
It better be or I am screwed. Although I'm not sure my uni is in the russel group so hey ho.
Original post by TheOneTrueEvian
LOL.

The answer is everyone has this. Literally everyone. For every job, there will be two dozen Russell 2:1s. You need a lot more than that to stand out.

Connections, work experience, selling yourself, getting people to like you, playing the lottery, making lots of applications...there's no magic formula.

Oh. Well I'll just have to make sure I get a first then...

I'm sorry but this is BS. 'Literally everyone' has a 2:1? Okay, there may be a fair amount of people out there who do, but I'm pretty sure there are far, far more people in the country who don't. And I don't think the majority of these are from Russell Group universities tbh; maybe on TSR they are, but this site is bit of a skewed representation of the general population, so I think statistically I'm likely to fare better in the world of employment than the majority of people (not to sound cocky. This is just a hypothetical question).

I'm not obsessed with earning a lot of money (i.e. a 6 figure salary). I don't have a thirst for the creme de la creme, I just want to enjoy a better quality of life than the one I've started off with. I think I can live happily with an income of around £40,000 per year, and I'm confident that a 2:1 from a Russell Group university will land me there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Also Russel group graduates better not get a better chance. A 2:1 from Oxford is worth just as much as a 2;1 from anywhere else it terms of what stuff you have covered. Of course the real world doesn't work like that...
Why bother even asking the question if you have a closed mind?

You didn't understand -- everyone applying for a job will have a 2:1 who will be under active consideration. The fact is a 2:1 from a Russell is worthless in and of itself. It comes down to the factors I've mentioned above more than anything.
Why bother even asking the question if you have a closed mind?

You didn't understand -- everyone applying for a job will have a 2:1 who will be under active consideration. The fact is a 2:1 from a Russell is worthless in and of itself. It comes down to the factors I've mentioned above more than anything.

Well, there seems to be a consensus (at least on TSR) that a good degree from a Russell Group university is more likely to be valued over a good degree from an ex-Polytechnic, which I agree is harsh.
Reply 10
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Also Russel group graduates better not get a better chance. A 2:1 from Oxford is worth just as much as a 2;1 from anywhere else it terms of what stuff you have covered. Of course the real world doesn't work like that...

I'm sorry, but I just don't think that's true. The Oxbridge degrees in a number of subjects are classified with respect to the other students at Oxford/Cambridge, who are most likely some of the most intelligent/hard-working people in the world. More than that, I'm well aware that I'm doing far more work than people at other unis in the first year of my degree (Cambridge NatSci; I'm doing split Bio/Physics, and have covered the same volume of physics as people doing straight physics at Manchester, and more maths than them). I have to say I think it's harder to get a 2.i at the top unis.
Original post by Joel R
I'm sorry, but I just don't think that's true. The Oxbridge degrees in a number of subjects are classified with respect to the other students at Oxford/Cambridge, who are most likely some of the most intelligent/hard-working people in the world. More than that, I'm well aware that I'm doing far more work than people at other unis in the first year of my degree (Cambridge NatSci; I'm doing split Bio/Physics, and have covered the same volume of physics as people doing straight physics at Manchester, and more maths than them). I have to say I think it's harder to get a 2.i at the top unis.

Well I can't speak for Nat science but when it comes to physics any Institute of Physics certified course has to pass the same criteria. I also hope you are aware of the amount of smart intelligent people who have become very rich and successful who haven't even been to uni. University is not some magic button to success.

But whatever... keep on thinking you are better than me.
Well, there seems to be a consensus (at least on TSR) that a good degree from a Russell Group university is more likely to be valued over a good degree from an ex-Polytechnic, which I agree is harsh.

Well ye, Britain is an incredibly stuck up country.
Are we talking an Oxbridge or a Queen Mary?
This is not universally true.

Firstly, there is somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy at Oxbridge that the belief is that the courses are harder and the people are smarter. That is not a fact. But it leads to people working harder. Just because you work hard doesn't mean the course is harder or the examination will be tougher.

Secondly, the % of firsts/2:1s at Oxbridge does not compare with universities outside of Oxbridge. For every subject Oxbridge is a long way ahead in terms of the number of firsts and 2:1s it produces, with very few, if any, students receiving a 2:2.

Third, just because the average student may be brighter at Oxbridge than somewhere else, that does not mean the top 10% will be brighter than the top 10% at another institution, nor does it mean the top 10% at another institution will be any less intelligent or hard working than the bottom 90% of the Oxbridge cohort. If you are in the top 20% at a Russell and pick up a 2:1, even had you been in the bottom 10% of the Oxbridge cohort, you would still pick up a 2:1.

Fourthly, it depends entirely on the course you are comparing at different institutions. In terms of the quantity of material demanded, this is not generally a relevant concern. If you feel your course, for instance, has more material than another course, but your module exam consists of 10 questions of which you have to answer 4, there are vast chunks of the syllabus which can and should be left off. This is the key to success in a law degree, for instance, where students are given hundreds of pages to read per potential topic. However, if you are referring to courses which use a bell curve to grade papers, and your success depends on your ranking in the cohort rather than the quality of your answer, that is a relevant concern.

The reality is most degrees are easy. I could never do a maths degree because that's not my skill-set. But if you asked me, as a graduate, to go study and get a first in an arts subject at Oxbridge, I could do it in my sleep. Because I was at university for four years and I know how the game works, and how to win at it! It will not come down to my intelligence and hard work.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I somehow get the feeling that many employers aren't be informed about this. Their ignorance is your advantage.

Also, if Russell Group universities aren't places of 'prestige', what on earth is the point of the existence of private and grammar schools (as much as I hate them)?

Not with a 2:1 alone, you need to have work experience and come across well enough too.
Reply 16

Don't agree with this statement! I have a 2.1 in first year and on course for a first from NTU (ex poly). I have just got through to the final stages at a very big law firm and that is a traditional career path where it can be quite elitist. That isn't the case anymore the majority of people recruiting these days realise that there are capable individuals at all universities.

At interview my grades aren't even discussed as they are more interested in seeing if I understand our economy, the industry I want to apply to, the company itself, my part-time employment, extra curricula's, personality and commitment. I could give you a great big long list but grades aren't on it. Companies use your previous grades as a way to filter out some applicants, after that its based purely on you as a person and your abilities!

A 2.1 from any university in this job market is at best average! You need something else to make you stand out!
Yes...but I also mean in terms of applications. An employer advertises on milkround for 2 positions, he gets 100 applications and will interview 10 on an assessment day. 8/100 have 2:2s. For all intents and purposes, literally everyone within the remit of his decision will have a 2:1. 88 people with 2:1s or above will get turned down ultimately. He is effectively 'blind' to the 2:2s.

And yes, I am well aware that you are not necessarily doomed to spend the rest of your life as a postman if you get a 2:2 and you can be very successful.
Reply 18
I think I can live happily with an income of around £40,000 per year, and I'm confident that a 2:1 from a Russell Group university will land me there.

:confused::confused::confused:

Did anyone else wtf at this on multiple levels?
Reply 19
Original post by NikolaT
:confused::confused::confused:

Did anyone else wtf at this on multiple levels?

I can understand the thought process. I think I had this naive opinion in first year when I thought getting a good grade would be enough to see me through. This was quickly challenged when I actually started applying and realised good grades are just the entry requirements and after that they have very little standing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending