The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxbridge

So, I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge, York, St Andrews and other top uni's. Thing is my gcse's aren't that great (only 2A* and my average is a B)
I finally came to my senses in sixth form and got it together ( doing 5 As with AAAAA Prediction) I'm also a form rep, peer support participant, learning Mandarin as a project participant, doing gold DoE and helping out the school with certain events. I know that GCSE grades are definitely less important than interviews,personal statements or admission tests, but I'm also aware that they could potentially put me in a disadvantage over other candidates. I'm definitely going to try but would like to know if I have too much false hope, as I don't want to be too disappointed. Is it possible to get into Oxbridge with 'average' GCSE's and do they look at BTEC and NVQ as worse than GCSE's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Izxxx
So, I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge, York, St Andrews and other top uni's. Thing is my gcse's aren't that great (only 2A* and my average is a B)
I finally came to my senses in sixth form and got it together ( doing 5 As with AAAAA Prediction) I'm also a form rep, peer support participant, learning Mandarin as a project participant, doing gold DoE and helping out the school with certain events. I know that GCSE grades are definitely less important than interviews,personal statements or admission tests, but I'm also aware that they could potentially put me in a disadvantage over other candidates. I'm definitely going to try but would like to know if I have too much false hope, as I don't want to be too disappointed. Is it possible to get into Oxbridge with 'average' GCSE's and do they look at BTEC and NVQ as worse than GCSE's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For what subject?
And what A levels are you doing?
Reply 2
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2609765&page=6

Could post in the Cambridge ask an admissions tutor post?
Reply 3
You're going to want to aim for 90%+ over your top/most relevant (depending on the subject you're applying for) 3 ASs if you want a decent shot of getting into Cambridge.
Reply 4
It really depends on the subject but unless you're applying for medicine your GCSE grades will not disadvantage you.

GCSE is a lot less important than people make out - particularly for Cambridge. From my experience they were only really interested in my module scores from AS and my interviews. I also got the impression that they'd only briefly scanned through my personal statement, at most. Again, this is all subject dependent and may also vary from college to college, but as a general rule Cambridge aren't that fussed about GCSE. I doubt they'd even look at a BTEC or NVQ.

You certainly have a chance but you should try to aim for as close to 100% as you can in your AS exams.
Original post by Izxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge couldn't care less about Gold DofE or Mandarin or form rep or peer support participant and they wouldn't look at BTEC/NVQs.
Reply 6
Original post by CJG21
For what subject?
And what A levels are you doing?

I'm currently doing Eng Lit. Geography, business studies, psychology and Italian
I was going to apply for Law but I prefer psychology now since I' be taken the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by geodawson
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2609765&page=6

Could post in the Cambridge ask an admissions tutor post?

Thank you I will try that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by yl95
Cambridge couldn't care less about Gold DofE or Mandarin or form rep or peer support participant and they wouldn't look at BTEC/NVQs.

Maybe they could care less about the Gold DoE and so on but they definitely want a well rounded person with a personality not just great grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Izxxx
Maybe they could care less about the Gold DoE and so on but they definitely want a well rounded person with a personality not just great grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really. They're very much focused on academic ability, little else. If you want to go to a top university that rewards 'well-roundedness' you're better off applying to the Ivies in the USA, not Oxbridge.
Reply 10
Original post by Izxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Partially true. The extent that is true is only at the interview when they decide whether they would like to teach you - if you're a boring person or obnoxiously know-it-all, then they won't want you. But they won't want you to mention any of that stuff in your personal statement, they frankly don't care how much of a good person you are, whether you volunteer and do charity work is neither here nor there. They only care if you have the grades to flourish at their university, and as I say, whether they'd like to teach you.
Original post by Izxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Contrary to popular belief, they really couldn't care less about whether you're black belt in karate, raised 500 pounds for charity and achieved Grade 8 at the age of 11. Your personal statement is there to showcase your academic achievements and what you've been doing in terms of reading outside your subject. Having said that, a lot of subjects don't really require a fantastic personal statement; they care most about your academic ability. As Noble said above, you would be better off applying to Ivies - they place a lot of emphasis on the whole well roundedness thing.
Original post by Izxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, they want the best students academically, although obviously due to the supervision system you have to be able to hold a conversation with someone but being 'well rounded' and having a 'personality' is irrelevant.

Also, decide fully on the subject you want to do before you pick unis. You may be at a disadvantage applying for Psychology without maths or biology at A level.
Reply 13
Original post by Jamerson
Partially true. The extent that is true is only at the interview when they decide whether they would like to teach you - if you're a boring person or obnoxiously know-it-all, then they won't want you. But they won't want you to mention any of that stuff in your personal statement, they frankly don't care how much of a good person you are, whether you volunteer and do charity work is neither here nor there. They only care if you have the grades to flourish at their university, and as I say, whether they'd like to teach you.

As you said ; they don't want boring or know it all, and of course grades are more important, but they also want someone who stands out from the thousands of excellent students with amazing grades. They also want someone with a passion for their subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
First get those 5 A's and then you can think about applying.
Reply 15
Original post by yl95
Contrary to popular belief, they really couldn't care less about whether you're black belt in karate, raised 500 pounds for charity and achieved Grade 8 at the age of 11. Your personal statement is there to showcase your academic achievements and what you've been doing in terms of reading outside your subject. Having said that, a lot of subjects don't really require a fantastic personal statement; they care most about your academic ability. As Noble said above, you would be better off applying to Ivies - they place a lot of emphasis on the whole well roundedness thing.

Yes Ivies seem like a good idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Izxxx
As you said ; they don't want boring or know it all, and of course grades are more important, but they also want someone who stands out from the thousands of excellent students with amazing grades. They also want someone with a passion for their subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes - someone who stands out. But someone who stands out with reading or activities relevant to their subject. Being a form rep, a peer mentor, a gold DofE fella; if you can't successfully justify how that has made you think about your subject, or how it's linked to your subject, then it's not worth mentioning.
Reply 17
Original post by Jamerson
Yes - someone who stands out. But someone who stands out with reading or activities relevant to their subject. Being a form rep, a peer mentor, a gold DofE fella; if you can't successfully justify how that has made you think about your subject, or how it's linked to your subject, then it's not worth mentioning.

So why do heads of sixth form puts so much stress on these kind of things they tell us to "list all your achievements" and not to be afraid to talk about them if they ask you in the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Izxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.
Original post by Izxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Passion for your subject is not the same as being well rounded, at all. Only talk about relevant extra curriculars, reading around your subject. They don't care about things not related to your subject. Bear in mind you're talking to Oxbridge students and we may know more about what admissions tutors want seeing as we know far more people who have been given places by admissions tutors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending