The Student Room Group

The EDL: A cover for neo football hooliganism?

They aint political. Its filling the void of pre-millenium lad subcultures; kind of a mayhem release valve. Soccer violence in another guise...Generally a working lads movement rather than a purely chav one.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What role does the UAF rent-a-mob play in your theory? They've been responsible for most of the violence at EDL demos.
I went to an 'interview' to join the EDL once (I was in a mess personally), they offered my booze when I was under-age, a tattoo of racist slurs and cocaine. I'd say the experience was worth it, for the stories. Yet, I bolted ASAP and never spoke to them again. Me and a friend went for the experience and because I thought, then, that they stood-up for something that, then, I agreed with.

How times have changed for me.
Reply 3
Original post by thesabbath
What role does the UAF rent-a-mob play in your theory? They've been responsible for most of the violence at EDL demos.

Its very much a mods v rockers type scenario. The explosion in football hooliganism in the 70s and 80s was a reaction from the workers to the culture of love and peace in the 60s, granted.
Reply 4
Original post by Our People
They aint political. Its filling the void of pre-millenium lad subcultures; kind of a mayhem release valve. Soccer violence in another guise...Generally a working lads movement rather than a purely chav one.

there will always be mass movements of youth violence in this country ( and often will encompass ex chavvy blue collar racists) It has existed for every generation since the 1st world war
Reply 5
Original post by EarthlingyThingy
I went to an 'interview' to join the EDL once (I was in a mess personally), they offered my booze when I was under-age, a tattoo of racist slurs and cocaine. I'd say the experience was worth it, for the stories. Yet, I bolted ASAP and never spoke to them again. Me and a friend went for the experience and because I thought, then, that they stood-up for something that, then, I agreed with.

How times have changed for me.

I must admit, I've nearly joined meself on a few occasions due to asians routinely being a total pain in the arse.
I must admit, I've nearly joined meself on a few occasions due to asians routinely being a total pain in the arse.

Well I totally and utterly regret ever going and reject totally their aims and objectives. As said, I was in a mess and now I am not in the same-mind set.
I'm sure it's been proven on multiple occasions that there are a lot of convicted hooligans from the 70s/80s within the EDL. Their former leader went under the name ''Tommy Robinson'', the real Tommy Robinson was an infamous football hooligan with Luton Town. Another one of their leaders was given a football banning order as recently as 2011.

It's not hard to see why they formed. Their concerns are legitimate. But habvimg concerns of a racial nature and being English, you're bound to have your self defence criminalizee. English ppl must have to be the only ppl in the world who are attacked for wanting to retain and sustain it's culture, and the only who have to justify why they want to.

I'd also like you
To tell me what Multiculturalism is a cover for whilst you're at it. Although it's obvios what that globalist communist ideology is trying to do
Reply 10
Why does football hooligan need a 'guise'? It's a part of the game and always will be. Also, a lot of firms are/were multi-racial/multi-faith....
Reply 11
Original post by Hooby
Why does football hooligan need a 'guise'? It's a part of the game and always will be. Also, a lot of firms are/were multi-racial/multi-faith....

Its basically another excuse for mob violence
Reply 12
The term "street politics", which Tommy Robinson promotes, is essentially glorification of thuggery.

Pretty much. UAF are the real bottom dwellers of society.

[citation needed]
Reply 15
Its basically another excuse for mob violence

Not really sure what you're getting at here...
Original post by CryptoidAlien
...English ppl must have to be the only ppl in the world who are attacked for wanting to retain and sustain it's culture, and the only who have to justify why they want to.

I'm English and as far as I'm concerned the EDL are not interested in anything other than 'football hooligan' culture, albeit in the guise of opposition to extremist religion. You only have to be present at one of their marches to understand that they are racist thugs spoiling for a fight or some kiss-chase with the police.
The belief of the EDL is the eradication of extreme Islam, not muslims. The core belief of the group in my opinion is fine. There is nothing wrong with that. The problem the EDL have is that as has been mentioned in this thread a bunch of scumbags have chosen to become part of the group full of people who are only interested in violence.
Original post by uktotalgamer
<strong>The belief of the EDL is the eradication of extreme Islam, not muslims. The core belief of the group in my opinion is fine. There is nothing wrong with that.</strong> The problem the EDL have is that as has been mentioned in this thread a bunch of scumbags have chosen to become part of the group full of people who are only interested in violence.

That's demonstratably not true. I wrote an essay on the EDL. When I did, I went on their website and the headline was to ban halal. Whatever your opinion of halal meat, it is not an extremism issue. That line about only opposing extremist Islam isn't even something they bother following with their official policies, let alone the real feelings of their members. Another example is "No More mosques", one of their big campaigns.

No one who has done even basic research into the group would come to the conclusion you've given.
Combat 18 were/are a group of neo-nazis who's members were "a bunch of top boys who loved their country" from various football firms. So basically just a bunch of bored degenerates who needed a cause.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending