The Student Room Group

Becoming a Paramedic

Hi!
I want to apply for a paramedic science course for entry in 2015. However I need to know how likely it is will be employable anyway due to my past health issues.
I don't know if it is dependent on each ambulance service but does anyone know what their attitudes to past mental health issues are?
If I joined an Ambulance Service it would obviously be after full recovery and the issues aren't anything like schizophrenia or anything, just depression related illness. I know there are equality and discrimination rules etc. but obviously with paramedic careers its quite important someone is able to cope with the pressure haha.
Does anyone know if I'm wasting my time trying to get into the profession with a mental health issue in my past or am I just as likely to get a job as other graduates?
Thanks in advance x
Reply 1
The only way to be sure would be to contact universities directly, best of luck to you
For regular depression you should be fine. Generally (unless you tell them at interview) the trusts won't know about your medical history. If they accept you then it's best to disclose it at occupational health and they may call you back for an extra appointment but unless there's any issues or you need any adjustments making it wouldn't even go outside occy health. There's plenty of ambulance staff who have/have had depression.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest