The Student Room Group

N4 (Japanese) Listening and writing help!

So I recently took my N5 examination and I easily passed with my reading and my vocabulary skills. However when it came to listening I felt that I was having to guess more, rather than translating what I was listening to. So, after passing I hope to be moving onto the N4 either this winter or next winter.
So my question is, what is the best way for me to gain listening skills and be prepared for the N4? I've tried doing the common watching Japanese programs and such, but they didn't seem to prepare me quite as much as I thought they had been. I've tried to buy books, but in Malaysia books are rare to nonexistent. Does anyone happen to have any free online sources?

Thanks to any repliers.
Reply 1
Hi there! First of all, congrats. And you're not alone, I still have a problem with my interactions in Japanese. I listen to Japanese songs ( not necessarily j-pop :colondollar:) and watch j-drama. Try to find someone who's Japanese and willing to send you mails etc, then ask them if they're available for Skype sessions and talk together so that you can develop your comprehension skills! Good luck, I hope it was a bit useful.
Reply 2
Original post by Meduleysi
Hi there! First of all, congrats. And you're not alone, I still have a problem with my interactions in Japanese. I listen to Japanese songs ( not necessarily j-pop :colondollar:) and watch j-drama. Try to find someone who's Japanese and willing to send you mails etc, then ask them if they're available for Skype sessions and talk together so that you can develop your comprehension skills! Good luck, I hope it was a bit useful.

Thanks so much for this, I've tried to do these in the past but I've always felt like I'm just slacking off when i've been doing it. I'll be sure to do this a lot more often :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Zaros
Thanks so much for this, I've tried to do these in the past but I've always felt like I'm just slacking off when i've been doing it. I'll be sure to do this a lot more often :smile:

You're welcome! We're going through the same doubts! But my Japanese teacher told me that is the most efficient way to learn because you take pleasure in watching a drama etc! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Zaros
So my question is, what is the best way for me to gain listening skills and be prepared for the N4? I've tried doing the common watching Japanese programs and such, but they didn't seem to prepare me quite as much as I thought they had been. I've tried to buy books, but in Malaysia books are rare to nonexistent. Does anyone happen to have any free online sources?

Thanks to any repliers.

I never did N5 but I did well in listening for N4. I used to watch a lot of anime without subtitles, but if you prefer dramas that's fine too. They might even be better because JLPT tests you on fairly realistic situations like meeting friends or workplace conversations, and anime is more often about giant robots than asking friends what to pack in your suitcase (though there was once a JLPT N2 listening question with a futuristic space warfare setting). The main goal is to be able to understand Japanese without having to translate it in your head.

Songs are ok but I would avoid them because words are not pronounced as they are in real life when sung and the vocabulary used is often not that useful.

If you want a website, there's a good site for listening exercises called erin.ne.jp I think. Should be ok for up to N4 level as it's fairly basic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending