The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I like to know whether I am turning up to a date or not before I get there. It affects important decisions such as, I dont know, whether I should go or not.
Just go and enjoy it!
It's a day out if it's not a date.
Reply 42
allymcb2
I like to know whether I am turning up to a date or not before I get there. It affects important decisions such as, I dont know, whether I should go or not.

Well if it turns out to be more like a date then you don't have to go on another.

Do you like stamping on men's egos?
Reply 43
Carl
Well if it turns out to be more like a date then you don't have to go on another.

Do you like stamping on men's egos?

I might not want to go on the first one.

errrm, only the big ones.
Reply 44
alexcutts
I'm thinking of asking a girl at work out tommorow - everyones advice always seems to be don't take them to the cinema on a first 'date' because you can't speak or talk, but I've known her for 4 weeks so I've already got to know her quite well as a person. I figure if we go to the bar in the cinema first, we'll still get a chance to talk. Is it likely to work, or would people (you) still suggest doing something else?

I know it seems trivial, but I don't want to mess this one up :smile:

Me and my bf had known each other a few weeks before he took me on our first date to the cinema. If i hadn't known him before, i wouldn't have wanted to go to the cinema because like you said, you can't really talk, but if you have known each other for 4 weeks you will be fine.
cinema date eh?- fudge that.
Reply 46
oooh first date that's tricky.

My first date ma bf took me for a meal in town, nothing to fancy chilled out so we could talk without feeling pressured (if ya get me) you could watch a film aswell, but if i wer you, id ask her if she wanted to go for a drink or for something to eat, but pick somewere near a cinema if possible, so that if that goes well, then you could ask her if she wanted 2 catch a film. jus make everything chiled out so she feels relaxed but make sure she knows that your more than jus friends going for a drink (you know what i mean).

hope that helps, good luck x x
take her to the pizza hut dipper buffet and give her a dry slap for dessert.
Reply 48
^rofl
xx Lotz
but make sure she knows that your more than jus friends going for a drink (you know what i mean).

How would you do this?
Reply 50
allymcb2
Thats a snidey backhanded and unpleasant way to do it.

It's the socially accepted norm.

A guy doesn't say "Hi, I'd like to stick my dick in your vagina" or "Hi, I'd like to go on a date with you". He says "Hi, would you like to go to [wherever] with me", even of the above statements can mean the same thing.

Going to a park/cinema/dinner with a single guy, when you yourself are single, is 99% of the time a date. And just about everyone knows this, without the off-putting word "date" needing to be used.

EDIT: clarity
Reply 51
I don't take a girl out just to get in bed with her. Treat and Respect.
Reply 52
True. It's not "just" to sleep with her. However, the implication that it may lead to sex is there.

Essentially: you don't need to be explicit about your intentions. There's nothing wrong with not being explicit about them in this instance.
Reply 53
Wez

A guy doesn't say "Hi, I'd like to stick my dick in your vagina" or "Hi, I'd like to go on a date with you". He says "Hi, would you like to go to [wherever] with me", even of the above statements can mean the same thing.

Going to a park/cinema/dinner with a single guy, when you yourself are single, is 99% of the time a date. And just about everyone knows this, without the off-putting word "date" needing to be used.

Fantastic explanation :biggrin:
Reply 54
Wez

The person giving the advice suggested deliberately implying/ telling her it was not a date.
Reply 55
allymcb2
The person giving the advice suggested deliberately implying/ telling her it was not a date.

I thought he suggested omitting the word date, keeping the asking casual, not saying it wasn't a date...
Reply 56
alexcutts
I thought he suggested omitting the word date, keeping the asking casual, not saying it wasn't a date...

That doesnt make sense, you would never point out it was a date anyway.
Reply 57
Exactly, maybe I misread his post, but it just seemed like he was saying to keep the 'asking' casual - and not to mention it as a date (not that anyone would :P)