The Student Room Group

What kind of Final year Student are you? :)

I was a 'Hope-for-the-Bester' turned 'Traveller':

http://www.theguardian.com/education/mortarboard/2014/mar/17/graduation-job-worry-illustration-blog

I remember being absolutely terrified of uni ending, it was like staring in to a massive chasm of anxiety. So I'd like to reassure any worried final-years that it's alright on the other side.[1] :smile:

What kind of final-year student are you?

[1]

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
A hope-for-the-bester :redface:

If I was more organised and had more time I'd be a hoop jumper though
Hoping to be an Academic, might end up a Hope-for-the-bester if it all goes wrong :tongue:
Reply 3
Hello fellow final year student! Im a hope-for-the-bester like most of you guys! Actually I will travel around before my visa expires in October than go back home and get a job :-P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually come to think of it, maybe I'm a head-in-the-sander
The Academic and the Hoop Jumper.
I don't really fit into any of the boxes. I'd like to be an Academic I think, but I want to work for a few years first, to gain experience and money. However, I don't have a job lined up as I've applied for a research grant to do research with one of my lecturers for six weeks over the summer. As they obviously recieve more applications than they can give money to, I won't know until April whether I've got the money. As the research would take place around August-September time, I can't really commit to a job until I know what's happening with that. However, I've got a holiday lined up for June and some work experience planned for July.

So I feel like there needs to be an option for "got-lots-of-plans-that-may-or-may-not-work-out"!

I am totally head-in-the-sand about my final exams though.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I don't really fit into any of the boxes. I'd like to be an Academic I think, but I want to work for a few years first, to gain experience and money. However, I don't have a job lined up as I've applied for a research grant to do research with one of my lecturers for six weeks over the summer. As they obviously recieve more applications than they can give money to, I won't know until April whether I've got the money. As the research would take place around August-September time, I can't really commit to a job until I know what's happening with that. However, I've got a holiday lined up for June and some work experience planned for July.

So I feel like there needs to be an option for "got-lots-of-plans-that-may-or-may-not-work-out"!

I am totally head-in-the-sand about my final exams though.

Sounds like you're on the right track to me! :smile: In these uncertain times, having lots of plans seems like a good idea.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Sounds like you're on the right track to me! :smile: In these uncertain times, having lots of plans seems like a good idea.

It's a route a lot of my friends seem to have followed (I went to uni late so a lot of my school friends graduated last year and the year before). I know quite a few people who have several "projects" on the go in the hope one of them will come off. Also, every time in my life I've made really rigid plans, they haven't worked out.

I think my problem is that I don't know what job I'd like to do because I like the look of all sorts of jobs that my degree could lead to, which is both good and bad!
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It's a route a lot of my friends seem to have followed (I went to uni late so a lot of my school friends graduated last year and the year before). I know quite a few people who have several "projects" on the go in the hope one of them will come off. Also, every time in my life I've made really rigid plans, they haven't worked out.

I think my problem is that I don't know what job I'd like to do because I like the look of all sorts of jobs that my degree could lead to, which is both good and bad!

I think working out what you don't want to do is the most important first step. :s
Reply 10
I'm a mix of 'Hope-for-the-best''and '''Head-in-the-sand'', with the distant possibility 'canny postgraduate' (intend to save up first).
Reply 11
I'm the academic... applied for PhDs.. XD
Reply 12
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I was a 'Hope-for-the-Bester' turned 'Traveller':

http://www.theguardian.com/education/mortarboard/2014/mar/17/graduation-job-worry-illustration-blog

I remember being absolutely terrified of uni ending, it was like staring in to a massive chasm of anxiety. So I'd like to reassure any worried final-years that it's alright on the other side.[1] :smile:

What kind of final-year student are you?

[1]

Spoiler

I am definitely a 'hope-for-the-bester' :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest