The Student Room Group

Anyone from Croatia?

Anyone from Croatia or knows how UK universities accept Drzavna Matura?
I'm from Croatia! :biggrin: So glad to have found another Croatian haha. Pozdrav iz Dubrovnika :smile:

Well, so far I've been accepted to three schools: St. Andrews, King's College London and University of Glasgow. All three of them require me to achieve a 5 overall on the Matura, so in other words, at least two 5s and one 4. Then I sent an e-mail to St. Andrews and to King's, asking about the razine and both of them said I could take Croatian and Math niža razina, and only have to do English viša. However, I was accepted for Comparative Literature and Classics, a course which has literally nothing to do with either Croatian or Math, so that could be part of the reason. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Pozdrav iz Pule :smile:
Well, I've been thinking about applying to Glasgow School of Art next year and all I could find on their page about Croatia is this: Undergraduate Applicants Students with a Svjedodzba o Zavrsnom Ispitu (Certificate of Completed Education) with a grade of 4+ may be considered OR students with over 4 in the Maturatna Svjevdodzba (Secondary School Leaving Diploma) may be considered. I'm not sure what that means, that I need to have 4 overall or 5? And then I sent them an e-mail and asked about viša and niža razina and they just sent me back to their page haha.
That was quite rude of them :/
Well, when I received my offer, these were my conditions, word for word:

This offer is subject to you obtaining Maturaina svjedodzba at a minimum of 4.5 overall with 2 Arts/Humanities subjects at 5 plus IELTS at 6.5 with no subset under 6 or equivalent.

So you'd need to get a 5 overall on the Matura, with 5 in certain subjects. I also applied to College of Arts, which is why I had the condition of getting a 5 in 2 Arts/Humanities subjects, so I imagine you'd get the same. As for viša and niža razina, I can't really help you with Glasgow as I only asked King's and St. Andrews about the razine. However, I don't see why they would insist on mat viša if you're applying to the College of Arts - neither King's nor St. Andrews did, and St. Andrews is generally considered a more prestigious school than the University of Glasgow. Hell, St. Andrews even let me do hrv niža.

It's good that you're thinking about this so far in advance though :smile: I literally found out yesterday I didn't have to hrv and mat viša haha.
Reply 4
And what would be that art/humanities subjects?
I don't see the point of taking croatian viša, but I'll ask them again eventually.

I've been thinking about going to college in UK for a long time and now that it's just year away I'm pretty excited so I want to know which grades I need to have. Did they asked you for svjedodzbe of every year or just matura?
Reply 5
Croatian sounds like an AMAZING language to learn :P
Hijacked your thread,, apologies :{
Reply 6
I don't like it very much, everything sounds better in English :P
Original post by TheBigJosh
Croatian sounds like an AMAZING language to learn :P
Hijacked your thread,, apologies :{

No need to apologize haha :smile: It's not something I hear very often, so thank you! Or, as Croatians say, hvala :biggrin:

Original post by lea2401
And what would be that art/humanities subjects?
I don't see the point of taking croatian viša, but I'll ask them again eventually.

I've been thinking about going to college in UK for a long time and now that it's just year away I'm pretty excited so I want to know which grades I need to have. Did they asked you for svjedodzbe of every year or just matura?

Honestly, I'm not sure about the 2 arts/humanities subjects. See, what happened with me is that I received my offers from Glasgow and King's College London around the same time and since I would have rather gone to King's, I contacted them first and didn't bother to double-check anything with Glasgow. Once I found out that I only had to do mat and hrv niža for King's, I sort of just forgot about Glasgow haha. However, I think English would count as one subject, and I imagine that the second would be something along the lines of psihologija, sociologija, filozofija, another language (npr. talijanski) and maybe even likovni or glazbeni. Do you perhaps know which course you'd like to do?

I can understand the excitement, I feel exactly the same way :smile: Nope, they didn't ask for my svjedodzbe, although I obviously had to unijeti (can't think of the English word right now) my grades into UCAS. Of all the UK schools I applied to, only Oxford wanted my scjedodzbe.
Reply 8
I want to apply for interior design, and in my school we have drawing (not likovni) and stambene i javne zgrade as subjects that are related to interior design. But I don't know if they have that subjects on matura.
And thank you for your answers,you've been so helpful :smile:
No problem, I'm happy to help :smile:
Yeah those subjects aren't on the matura. Well, I'm you could take likovni and that should probably count as an arts/humanities subject. And as for the razine, I can't give you a 100% answer since I'm not the actual admissions team, but I am pretty certain that you would be allowed to do mat and hrv niža. King's and St Andrews were fine with that anyway, so I don't see why Glasgow would insist on hrv and mat viša, especially for interior design.

Quick Reply

Latest