The Student Room Group

Did you choose the right A-levels?

Easy question: do you think you chose the right A-levels?

Or, if you were choosing your subjects all over again, which ones would you pick?

I definitely would have changed mine and dropped history in favour of sticking with Spanish.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shooks

Or, if you were choosing your subjects all over again, which ones would you pick?

I definitely would have changed mine and dropped history in favour of sticking with Spanish.

I may have also done physics
Reply 2
Original post by shooks

I definitely picked the right A-levels :ahee: . Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics all to A2 :h: . Since I absolutely adore studying and absolutely adore science, I don't think any other combination would have been worth it :yep:

I've said this before, but working hard on A-levels I enjoy has lead me to study a subject I extremely enjoy at university - a place where it's cool to study and be smart :h: . I'd be unhappy if it turned out any other way :yep:

Can I ask why? :smile:

Original post by keromedic
I may have also done physics

What do you currently do? :smile:
Very happy with my choices at A2 (Biology, History and English Literature), but I'd swap AS Chemistry for something like Geography/Psychology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Was very happy with Physics, History and Geography. A good balance, interesting, and has no doubt assisted me with getting into the career i'm in.
Reply 5
I picked Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Music. Really didn't get on with Chemistry last year so if I had a time machine I'd definitely go back and change it to French, loved it at GCSE. Maybe I could have pestered my teachers more about taking Further Maths and replaced Physics with it instead of having to self-teach it along 3 other A2s.
When I chose my options (Maths, Chem, Economics and Physics) I was trying to cover three possible career choices which were Engineering, Investment Banking and Pharmacology. Now that I now longer want to do Banking I could have probably have done Bio instead of Economics but apart from that I'm quite happy with my options :smile:
Definitely Physics , was my favorite subject in GCSE and even got the Highest Mark in my school for it. I'd swap it with Biology , It's interesting subject but not as mind challenging as physics.
Original post by Nirgilis

Can I ask why? :smile:

I only really took history as I was OK at it at GCSE - but it didn't really interest me at A-level. I'd love to be able to speak another language, and carrying on with Spanish into A-level would have been a great opportunity to do that.
Happy with all of mine! I thought I was going to hate English Lit but I think it's rapidly becoming my favourite subject. I may have reconsidered swapping Chemistry for Computing but I'm happy with my options (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit at AS so far, dropping English next year)!
Original post by Nirgilis

What do you currently do? :smile:

Alevels in further maths, chem, bio and music.
Reply 11
Chose Psychology, Sociology, Health and Social Care and English Literature. Currently in the process of dropping English Lit - I hate it! Wish I took Law instead! Love all my other subjects :smile:
I really loved my A levels, I did a combined English lang-lit A level, with music and RE. Loved them all!
However, I'm now doing an English language degree, and if i could go back and pick different subjects, I probably would have!
I had two lessons of A level French, and decided not to stick with it, but I wish I had now! Also, doing sociology, or law or psychology would have been much more useful than RE or music, but hey ho!
I have no regrets!!
Reply 13
Definitely glad I didn't take english literature
I didn't do a levels. I left school at 16 and returned this year (13/14) to do an access course, which means I'll be starting Uni in September '14.

There's not been a single moment I've regretted not taking A levels tbh. I see the stress some of you folks are under here and it's mad!
Reply 15
Love mine - French, Geography and maths. Although I don't get on with maths as much this year (A2) its still really different to the others which is nice and is challenging. I did Environmental Studies to AS but only as there was barely anything else I wanted to do.

If I was able to I would have take Spanish instead of ES but I could only take French at GCSE as the only available language there, so of course, no Spanish. Buttttttt going to uni for French and beginners Spanish! So haven't actually lost out tbh!
Reply 16
I chose Biology, Physics, English Lit and Geography to do at AS and dropped Physics for A2. If I could go back, I'd take Geography, Biology, History and Maths (and maybe Geology?) I hate English, but I got a C in physics ffs
I was originally doing biology, chemistry and physics in my first year and I got EEU, but then I did politics, philosophy and history and I got A*A*A so there you go :lol:
Maths
Business and Economics
Applied ICT
Physics ( Dropped at AS)

I hate applied ICT due to the amount of work you have to do and you don't really learn anything so I probably wished I wouldn't have done that but I don't know what else I would have done.
Critical Thinking for AS! Waste of time!!

Quick Reply