The Student Room Group

How many AS levels must you do?

I am studying my AS Levels and I really don't enjoy my english literature lessons. I enjoy my other three subjects and I have a good relationship with my teachers and I am doing well.

I really don't get on with my english literature teacher so I have stopped going to lessons and I am currently going through the process of trying to officially drop the subject. This teacher has contacted me over 20 times in the period of 10 days, including at weekends from her personal mobile.

I have discussed wanting to drop the subject with the tutor, told it was not an 'option' - this teacher is extremely rude and I would go as far to say that she is a bully. I have now discussed this with the A Level Manager who talked over me and wasn't willing to listen to my argument. She is 'friends' with this teacher and was clearly on her side before even talking to me. I was willing to give another teacher a try, however his lessons clashed with my other lessons and I would have to change my timetable all around and move into other groups, which at this stage I was not willing to do as I knew everyone in my classes and was comfortable in these classes.

I now have a meeting with the college's Principle booked but who knows if I will get any success.

I was just wondering do I actually HAVE to do 4 AS Levels? I have been diagnosed with a medical condition which also makes it difficult for me to manage the 4 subjects all together which came on just after christmas.

Everyone who I have spoken to seems insistant that I carry on with all 4 subjects. I was wondering if due to the actions of the teacher and my medical condition I would be able to drop the subject?

Is it a legal requirement that I MUST take 4 AS Level subjects as I'm not sure if this is the case?
Original post by Mashey1
I am studying my AS Levels and I really don't enjoy my english literature lessons. I enjoy my other three subjects and I have a good relationship with my teachers and I am doing well.

I really don't get on with my english literature teacher so I have stopped going to lessons and I am currently going through the process of trying to officially drop the subject. This teacher has contacted me over 20 times in the period of 10 days, including at weekends from her personal mobile.

I have discussed wanting to drop the subject with the tutor, told it was not an 'option' - this teacher is extremely rude and I would go as far to say that she is a bully. I have now discussed this with the A Level Manager who talked over me and wasn't willing to listen to my argument. She is 'friends' with this teacher and was clearly on her side before even talking to me. I was willing to give another teacher a try, however his lessons clashed with my other lessons and I would have to change my timetable all around and move into other groups, which at this stage I was not willing to do as I knew everyone in my classes and was comfortable in these classes.

I now have a meeting with the college's Principle booked but who knows if I will get any success.

I was just wondering do I actually HAVE to do 4 AS Levels? I have been diagnosed with a medical condition which also makes it difficult for me to manage the 4 subjects all together which came on just after christmas.

Everyone who I have spoken to seems insistant that I carry on with all 4 subjects. I was wondering if due to the actions of the teacher and my medical condition I would be able to drop the subject?

Is it a legal requirement that I MUST take 4 AS Level subjects as I'm not sure if this is the case?

No it's not a requirement but it looks better when you're applying for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly, as long as you don't apply to universities that specifically ask for a fourth AS (e.g. UCL), you'll be absolutely fine :smile: don't carry on with the subject if it's making things worse for you. My friend dropped Chemistry around the same time last year and didn't struggle to get offers at all :smile: and it's certainly not a legal requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Honestly, as long as you don't apply to universities that specifically ask for a fourth AS (e.g. UCL), you'll be absolutely fine :smile: don't carry on with the subject if it's making things worse for you. My friend dropped Chemistry around the same time last year and didn't struggle to get offers at all :smile: and it's certainly not a legal requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you say UCL, do they required four subjects up to A2 levels?
Original post by chocolattelee
When you say UCL, do they required four subjects up to A2 levels?

No, just AS :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest