The Student Room Group

Cardiff VS Southampton??

Help!
I've been offered a place to study music at Cardiff and Southampton. I'm going to be picking Birmingham as my firm, but I can't decide between the two insurers.

Cardiff have offered BBB, whilst Southampton have offered ABB. I love both the unis, but can anyone fill me in on which they feel has a better nightlife and things to do etc? Plus I like the idea of being fairly close to Bristol for any uni mates that go there, but really that's a minor thing.

Also if anyone could fill me in on what the music departments are like that might help me make my decision that would be good too :wink:
Reply 1
So clearly no one here studies at Cardiff and southampton, and can give some info on what it's like to be at either places?
Hi. I don't go to either, although I am applying to Cardiff this year. I think in terms of nightlife, Cardiff will be your best bet. From what I've read, it's a very student friendly city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Coffeetime
Hi. I don't go to either, although I am applying to Cardiff this year. I think in terms of nightlife, Cardiff will be your best bet. From what I've read, it's a very student friendly city.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I get that feeling from Southampton though too, they both feel like pretty decent student-y cities if I'm honest, i'm just hopoing something will come up that will edge it out for me!
Original post by GreenNinja
Ah I get that feeling from Southampton though too, they both feel like pretty decent student-y cities if I'm honest, i'm just hopoing something will come up that will edge it out for me!

I just had a quick look at rankings. Southampton is quite above Cardiff, but you can't rely on just rankings. Have looked up reviews from students?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you looked at course content? For me that was a huge factor when applying to UCAS and CUKAS for music courses.

Southampton, for example, has a very good mix of popular and classical, where you can focus on one, the other, or both at the same time! That really appealed to me, so I applied there :yes:
Reply 6
Original post by Coffeetime
I just had a quick look at rankings. Southampton is quite above Cardiff, but you can't rely on just rankings. Have looked up reviews from students?

I've tried my best, but it's difficult to find them, Which uni guide gives good stats on the music departments, but if I'm honest the stats, they're so similar anyway!

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Have you looked at course content? For me that was a huge factor when applying to UCAS and CUKAS for music courses.

Southampton, for example, has a very good mix of popular and classical, where you can focus on one, the other, or both at the same time! That really appealed to me, so I applied there :yes:

Ah yes I did pick up on that when I had taster sessions at southampton, it seems to be more traditional at Cardiff, but that would be fine with me as I'm more of a 'classical' musician, so that wouldn't really affect me!
Reply 7
Does anyone else have any input?

Quick Reply

Latest