The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Honest Storthes Hall/ Hudds Uni Review

Hello,

Currently completing my placement year, heading back to Huddersfield in the late summer to complete final year & seeing all these threads about what the Uni is like & also accommodation just made me want to spend the time whilst im bored at work clearing a few things up...

First of all, regardless of who you are or what you are into, Storthes Hall is definitely the place to be for first year. Looking back, its amazing to think there was 2000+ of us, all roughly the same age (although no one really pays too much attention to age unless your 40+) on a campus in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a few football pitches, a shop & a pub. It was without doubt the best year of my life so far, you'll meet people you hate & you love but that is life, for the most part you just need to realize that in no other circumstances will you ever be able to enjoy a year like first year at Huddersfield University whilst living at Storthes. The bus into town for Tuesday night revs is an experience on its own. The bus does get tiring the longer the year goes on but you are really just at storthes from September to May, so just enjoy it.

From there i would recommend getting a few of the friends you met first year and getting a house, me and my mates got the cheapest, roughest, dirtiest looking place, about 2 miles walk from the Uni (Moldgreen) for our second year, and as it happens it turned out to be the second best year. University is for studying but its also to be enjoyed.

In terms of the University itself, in the two years i was there previously i can note various improvements, it really is on the up and you can see more and more of the town center dominated by the campus, without the university the town would be pretty dreadful.
Hi, im considering going onto graphic design at either Huddersfield or st john york, how are you finding the placement year?
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by James_Yid
Hello,

Currently completing my placement year, heading back to Huddersfield in the late summer to complete final year & seeing all these threads about what the Uni is like & also accommodation just made me want to spend the time whilst im bored at work clearing a few things up...

First of all, regardless of who you are or what you are into, Storthes Hall is definitely the place to be for first year. Looking back, its amazing to think there was 2000+ of us, all roughly the same age (although no one really pays too much attention to age unless your 40+) on a campus in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a few football pitches, a shop & a pub. It was without doubt the best year of my life so far, you'll meet people you hate & you love but that is life, for the most part you just need to realize that in no other circumstances will you ever be able to enjoy a year like first year at Huddersfield University whilst living at Storthes. The bus into town for Tuesday night revs is an experience on its own. The bus does get tiring the longer the year goes on but you are really just at storthes from September to May, so just enjoy it.

From there i would recommend getting a few of the friends you met first year and getting a house, me and my mates got the cheapest, roughest, dirtiest looking place, about 2 miles walk from the Uni (Moldgreen) for our second year, and as it happens it turned out to be the second best year. University is for studying but its also to be enjoyed.

In terms of the University itself, in the two years i was there previously i can note various improvements, it really is on the up and you can see more and more of the town center dominated by the campus, without the university the town would be pretty dreadful.

Either

A) you work for DIGs
B) The stuff you said about storthes is sarcasm
C) A lot has changed since you were there

I live at storthes now and it is a hovel.

Not to mention the disgraceful way you are treated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by victoriajackson
Either

A) you work for DIGs
B) The stuff you said about storthes is sarcasm
C) A lot has changed since you were there

I live at storthes now and it is a hovel.

Not to mention the disgraceful way you are treated.

This has confused me, is it really that bad? I was leaning towards Storthes after that first post but not sure now
Original post by A T M
This has confused me, is it really that bad? I was leaning towards Storthes after that first post but not sure now

It's awful. I got a throat and chest infection from damp underneath my bed that I didn't know I was lying on top of. My first room was infested with fleas and the room I'm in now including the rest of the flat and stairwell has a silverfish infestation. That's just the tip of the iceberg with the problems at storthes. Do yourself a favour and stay closer to town, it will benefit you more financially, you won't have to put up with the buses which trust me are awful and a hidden cost and you won't have DIGs treating you like a piece of dirt under their shoe as well as the depressing rooms which are full of damp and are falling to pieces.

I can back up how much the 2013/2014 bunch hate it at storthes with posts off the facebook group (no names of course) nobody I know likes it there it's a tiny slice of hell I'm not even taking the noise into account or anything else this is all problems from them and trust me regardless of what they say there will be loads of first years in the other accommodations storthes is on the decline thank god.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending