The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Product or Industrial design at Loughborough?

I have applied for Industrial Design at Loughborough and received an offer but I study maths a-level. At my interview they recommended that I take Product Design as opposed to Industrial due to my qualifications. Could anyone studying Product Design at Lboro tell me what the maths and physics is like within the course please? Also whether there are any advantages to taking Product over industrial? Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by ellebeange
I have applied for Industrial Design at Loughborough and received an offer but I study maths a-level. At my interview they recommended that I take Product Design as opposed to Industrial due to my qualifications. Could anyone studying Product Design at Lboro tell me what the maths and physics is like within the course please? Also whether there are any advantages to taking Product over industrial? Thank you

I've firmed product design and at my interview my interviewer did ask how my maths was because a lot of electrical and mechanical skills would be involved and I guess that's where the math comes in, but in industrial design mechanics and electrical work is kept to a basic understanding which relate to product design as it says on their webpage. (But that's all I got really until someone that actually studies there decides to reply) :smile:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by hpayro
I've firmed product design and at my interview my interviewer did ask how my maths was because a lot of electrical and mechanical skills would be involved and I guess that's where the math comes in, but in industrial design mechanics and electrical work is kept to a basic understanding which relate to product design as it says on their webpage. (But that's all I got really until someone that actually studies there decides to reply) :smile:

I've just firmed Product Design as my top choice at Loughborough, i was just wondering what accommodation you're going to apply for? I have no idea which to go for or how far away anything is on the map!
Reply 3
Original post by aishaorme
I've just firmed Product Design as my top choice at Loughborough, i was just wondering what accommodation you're going to apply for? I have no idea which to go for or how far away anything is on the map!

Well I've been thinking of Telford so far, it isn't too far from the Design School and I don't mind walking either way. From what I've seen on the webpage I think I would rather like it there :smile: how about you?
Reply 4
Original post by hpayro
Well I've been thinking of Telford so far, it isn't too far from the Design School and I don't mind walking either way. From what I've seen on the webpage I think I would rather like it there :smile: how about you?

Yeah i was thinking there too actually! That or somewhere in that area, but that was the one I was looking at :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by aishaorme
Yeah i was thinking there too actually! That or somewhere in that area, but that was the one I was looking at :smile:

It's good isn't it :smile: I really think I would like it just need to wait until the applications open! I guess we might be in the same class then also :smile:
Reply 6
Has anyone received an email from lboro detailing how and when to apply for accommodation. They said I'd hear in April but nothing yet and I know accommodation opens in May ?
Reply 7
Original post by sgknowles
Has anyone received an email from lboro detailing how and when to apply for accommodation. They said I'd hear in April but nothing yet and I know accommodation opens in May ?

I was curious about this too so I emailed someone at Loughborough and they said you get the email in May as well apparently but I haven't had anything yet have you?
Reply 8
Original post by sgknowles

Hey even I am interested. Can you guys suggest me a hall in loughbrough ? I just need a bathroom of my own. And I don't staying with mix gender
Reply 9
I got an email like 4 days ago saying that accommodation will open on May 28th for conditional students :/
Reply 10
Product design has a materials module, and individual mechanics and electronics modules.
Neither are terribly hard if you've done A level maths/physics.
Im currently studying industrial design at Luffs, so if you want any questions answered, give me a holla.
Reply 12
hi, on the equipment requirement list it says that new students will need to buy a 12'' toolbox, however it doesn't say how deep the box needs to be to fit in the locker, do you know the best size box to get?
Hi Matth96

I've been in touch with the Design School and they've said that as long as the tool box is 12’’ at its largest dimension (usually the length), then it will fit in the lockers.

Hope this helps :smile:

Vicky
How lenient are they with grades ?
Hi kayong79

It really depends on circumstances, so it's very difficult to say.
Sorry can't be more help than that, but it's like asking how long is a piece of string!

Vicky
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi kayong79

It really depends on circumstances, so it's very difficult to say.
Sorry can't be more help than that, but it's like asking how long is a piece of string!

Vicky

Thanks Vicky.
No problem :smile:
Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending