The Student Room Group

Controlling parents giving me an ultimatum??

Hi everyone. I could really use some advice :frown:

Okay, long story (sorry!) but my parents are very controlling, to the point where I feel afraid of my Dad. Anyway, recently I made my firm and insurance choices, neither of which were the university they wanted me to go to. They wanted me to go to a local university, I suspect their motivations for this are so they can continue to control me as I will be expected to live at home. Though they say it's because they can't afford to send me away, despite my efforts to get them to believe I expect no support from home and I am willing to work as hard as it takes to ensure I can afford to support myself. It's at the point where my mother rung UCAS behind my back to see about me changing my firm/insurance choices. They now are demanding I change them to their choice, or they won't let me go to university.

I know it sounds silly, but my Dad is very controlling and I am genuinely afraid of the lengths he will go to to stop me going to university. Also, then there's the matter of them supporting my student finance, and being able to afford university if they don't support my application.

Any advice? I'm really stuck here :frown:
1.) Try to convince them why and list out a finance plan etc. that proves you can afford to care for yourself at Uni.
2.) If this doesn't work, leave home. You don't need their permission and if as you day you could support yourself, why not? You are/soon will be an adult. Make your own choices and dont let your parents ruin the rest of your life. YOUR life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
They can't change your application for you as long as you keep your password etc protected, and they can't stop you moving out. Just do what you want to do as you'll be an adult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending