The Student Room Group

Is it cervical cancer? please help..

hi, i have been having spotting ( bleeding ) for 6 months now, pain during sex ( couldnt even use tampons ) and just recently ive started to have abdominal pains.. Worried if its cervical cancer??Its not a sti i got checked for everything twice..
:confused:
I went to my doctor who sent me to a gyno who told me im too young to have a smear test ( i was 19 now 20, and she didnt even check me properly ). I have a colposcopy at the end of this week and im just too worried, especially after the girl that died last saturday over cervical cancer ... Anyone ever went through this ??
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
hi, i have been having spotting ( bleeding ) for 6 months now, pain during sex ( couldnt even use tampons ) and just recently ive started to have abdominal pains.. Worried if its cervical cancer??Its not a sti i got checked for everything twice..
:confused:
I went to my doctor who sent me to a gyno who told me im too young to have a smear test ( i was 19 now 20, and she didnt even check me properly ). I have a colposcopy at the end of this week and im just too worried, especially after the girl that died last saturday over cervical cancer ... Anyone ever went through this ??

Well.. Hmm.. I'd say to go back to your doctor and ask for alternatives. Be VERY strong in that you wish for some kind of examination. The NHS cannot refuse you a service that you are requesting, so be strong in asking, and you'll get one. Otherwise seek advice from your GP about other viable options, and follow suit!
Original post by DForDan
Well.. Hmm.. I'd say to go back to your doctor and ask for alternatives. Be VERY strong in that you wish for some kind of examination. The NHS cannot refuse you a service that you are requesting, so be strong in asking, and you'll get one. Otherwise seek advice from your GP about other viable options, and follow suit!

Yes they can if there's no indication. I could demand to have a full body MRI just because I want one, and they are well within their right to refuse - they don't have the funds to be doing unnecessary investigations for the sake of it.

The reason smears are not done in the under 25s is because it's highly likely the smear will be "abnormal" and patients then have to have more invasive investigations when abnormal does not equal cancer.

Also, colposcopy would diagnose cervical cancer, whereas a smear only tells you if you're at risk of having cancer, therefore going back and demanding a smear is pointless when they've already been offered a more sensitive and specific test.

OP - it's highly unlikely you have cervical cancer, and those symptoms, although worrying to you, can be caused by numerous things that are not serious in any way. The symptoms, to me anyway, sound like pelvic inflammatory disease, but just wait until you get a proper diagnosis and try not to worry :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Yes they can if there's no indication. I could demand to have a full body MRI just because I want one, and they are well within their right to refuse - they don't have the funds to be doing unnecessary investigations for the sake of it.

The reason smears are not done in the under 25s is because it's highly likely the smear will be "abnormal" and patients then have to have more invasive investigations when abnormal does not equal cancer.

Also, colposcopy would diagnose cervical cancer, whereas a smear only tells you if you're at risk of having cancer, therefore going back and demanding a smear is pointless when they've already been offered a more sensitive and specific test.

Thanks for the knowledge! Today I learned :biggrin:
Original post by DForDan

Colposcopy is a specific microscoped examination of the cervix and is the test of choice to rule out out cervical cancer.

So the OP has seen her GP who has correctly identified the issue, correctly identified that the smear - a SCREENING test is not appropriate (you screen people with no symptoms only), sent to a gynaecologist who has arranged an appropriate investigation.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest