The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Uni of Warwick Fresher studying Film and Literature! Ask me anything? :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by dmrich
Hi there,

You have been informed correctly, but only after 2nd year (no optional modules at all in 1st year.)

You can't take subjects too far from your home department I believe (so there are some modules like psychology stuff, language stuff and sociology stuff that you can do) but I believe if you take a BA you can't take BSc modules as options (like maths, science, business etc.)

The optional modules are also all down to the discretion of the home and option department, so sometimes you might need to show a portfolio to do a certain module or you might need a good reference from your home department to get the permission of the optional department, and there obviously needs to be enough space on the module! :smile:

There is so much choice, just gotta do it all the right way! :biggrin:

Please ask if there is anything else I can help you with!

Thank you, that's really helpful! :smile: I was interested in doing a BSc module in a subject such as accounting, management or finance, but that seems unlikely. But you said there's a lot of choice, so I'm sure there must be plenty of other modules that interest me :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 41
Original post by dmrich
Hello there,

Yes, as I said above, many, many people have never studied film before and the first year is ideal for bringing everyone up to speed. However, there will be people there that have possible studied film and/or media at GCSE or A-Level and so they will be using certain terminology and stuff that might be new to you in seminars, so just make an effort to do the reading and stuff and you would be absolutely fine.

My timetable was a bit odd, obviously film is your home department but English is in the humanities building, so you are going between places a bit and it can feel a little displacing. There are a few lectures, in film there are lots of screenings too and you are expected to attend them all (whether you do or not is different...) and in English, you are expected to read all the books and do any extra reading for either side of the course in your own time, so that part is very independent. Sometimes you can get away with not having read the stuff, but sometimes you get lecturers that want you to have printed it off and stuff and sneaky ones that may ask direct questions about the reading that you just couldn't make up. Many times I have watched students admit they haven't read it in a seminar haha! :smile:

There are examined essays that make up part of your grades throughout the whole year, so expect to be doing a lot of essays. There are only exams at the end of the summer though so don't worry about them. They are very bearable when you manage your time well, it is SO stressful when you leave two 3,000 word essays to the last minute though and then you have to do all the extra reading and formatting and stuff! :smile:

Hope I helped, feel free to ask if you need anything else though! :biggrin:

Thank you so much, this really was so helpful! I'm sure as long as I'm organised I'll be able to balance my work with social stuff just fine :smile:
Reply 42
Hiya!! I know I'm doing a completely different course to Film and Literature (I'm doing French and Italian), but I was just wondering whether you bothered buying all your course books beforehand or just waited until the start of term?
Reply 43
Original post by Lara20
Hiya!! I know I'm doing a completely different course to Film and Literature (I'm doing French and Italian), but I was just wondering whether you bothered buying all your course books beforehand or just waited until the start of term?

Hi there,

I did purchase a fair few of my books beforehand, but this is because I work for a bookshop so it was more logical for me to use my discount to buy them whilst I was still working there over the summer.

I would recommend getting the first few to see you through over the start of term whilst you're finding your feet just so you don't have that extra worry on your mind. The university bookshop is good, though not the cheapest, and can also order books in really quickly in my experience.

Obviously, you can also order online and have the books delivered to the post room! :biggrin:

Hope I helped!
Reply 44
Original post by dmrich
Hi there,

I did purchase a fair few of my books beforehand, but this is because I work for a bookshop so it was more logical for me to use my discount to buy them whilst I was still working there over the summer.

I would recommend getting the first few to see you through over the start of term whilst you're finding your feet just so you don't have that extra worry on your mind. The university bookshop is good, though not the cheapest, and can also order books in really quickly in my experience.

Obviously, you can also order online and have the books delivered to the post room! :biggrin:

Hope I helped!

Ok that's brill! Thanks so much for your help☺☺

Quick Reply

Latest