The Student Room Group

Subjects for medicine

At higher I am currently studying: maths, English, chemistry, physics and geography. Hoping for As in all of them:smile:. I know I haven't done biology but I am hoping to do that this year (is human or normal biology better for medicine?). Will these subjects be ok to get into medicine at university if I pick up bio in S6 (Scotland)?
Reply 1
There are universities that accept that combination. Look at the med school subject requirements wiki page on here.
Reply 2
Yeah most only set Chemistry as the mandatory one. However do check the TSR wiki to be sure AND also the Medical school's page as TSR could be outdated...
Original post by It'sTriggy
At higher I am currently studying: maths, English, chemistry, physics and geography. Hoping for As in all of them:smile:. I know I haven't done biology but I am hoping to do that this year (is human or normal biology better for medicine?). Will these subjects be ok to get into medicine at university if I pick up bio in S6 (Scotland)?

On top of what the above have said, plenty of universities allow for any missing subjects to be taken in S6, and will set a condition based on them. :smile:

Both human and normal biology are equally acceptable. Just do whichever one you're most interested in! Human is obviously a bit more relevant, but not so much so that you'll be advantaged by the time you come to uni.
Reply 4
This is the A-Levels requirement page people have mentioned: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements :smile:
the wiki is a good start but always check with the medical schools direct. Not having any biology would restrict your choice quite a lot and also make the first year of the course a bit harder so picking some up is wise.
Original post by Beska
This is the A-Levels requirement page people have mentioned: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements :smile:

And here're the relevant entry requirements. :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
And here're the relevant entry requirements. :tongue:

Oops completely missed that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending