The Student Room Group

Is It Possible To Change the Course I Applied For? (From maths to econ)

Hi, I applied for mathematics for 2014 entry I have offers from Warwick and Bristol which would be my first and second choices respectively. Unfortunately I have changed my mind about pursuing a mathematics degree and I want to study economics instead. I have given this a lot of thought and I am certain. I studied : maths, further maths, chemistry and physics at AS and I got 4 A's I dropped chemistry and carried the other 3 onto A2, I am predicted A*A*A. You do not need to study economics at A level for an economics degree. The reason I think it may be possible to switch courses so late is because the requirements for economics are lower then the requirements for maths and it is (in most peoples opinion) an easier subject, so basically if I'm good enough for mathematics I should be good enough for economics. Is possible to contact the universities and ask them to consider me for a place on an economics course? The only issue I can think of is the matter of my personal statement but Warwick told me on their open day that they do not care about personal statements very much. Do you think there is any way they could change my offer from maths to econ? I'm a good student, I got 298/300 UMS in my maths AS level and I have done some reading on economics to educate myself and to ensure that economics is right for me. What if I email the universities and they say no? I don't want to take a year out, could they withdraw my maths offer? sorry for so many questions and no paragraphs but I can't figure out to bloody put them in :angry: the enter key isn't working and I'm a little stressed. TL;DR - is it too late to email my universities and ask them to switch my offer for a place on a mathematics course to a place on an economics course.
Email them, lots of people do this and lots of people switch courses at the start of the year. It's not uncommon at all.
Reply 2
Just a thought, won't some Uni's already have filled out their spaces on their Economics courses?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending