The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

BSc Psychology- what's it like?

I've already got year one of BSc Psychology under my belt from City University London but due to mental health problems I had to leave.

I want to finish my degree off with the OU and I've sent my credit transfer application off. I'm undecided between finishing my Psychology degree off, or doing Criminology with Social Psychology.

What I want to know is what's the BSc Psychology degree like with the OU? Is it very maths and statistics based like my first year was at City? We did a lot of SPSS and I found it incredibly difficult, I'm not sure how I'd manage doing it effectively by myself.

For your dissertation are you expected to carry out a project/experiment?

Are there a lot of tutorials/residential schools? I have severe anxiety and so I doubt I'll be able to get to any. I know that usually there are alternative arrangements for people who can't get to tutorials. Unless the tutorial happens to be very very local to me then I don't think I'd get there. From what I've heard the tutorials are at the regional centres and my local one is Cambridge (or possibly London) and I live in Essex :frown:

Thanks.
Reply 1
Bump, I'm starting BSc Psych in October, wondering what it's like with the OU - not too excited about stats!

On the subject of centres for tutorials, I was told by a member of staff they're held locally, as are exams - the one by me is just a college. She said they're usually evenings & weekends to fit around work/family commitments. I'm not overly enthusiastic about them, the whole throwing myself awkwardly into a room full of people I don't know is somewhat daunting, but I'll drag my arse there I guess. :biggrin:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
The OU is brilliant for maths-phobics because they assume very little when you begin and provide fantastic teaching materials and online help. The psychology has some stats but also some qualitative elements so you should be fine :smile: and tutorials are usually local, but well worth trying to go to those and any day schools they want you to attend. Online tutorials are there too and if you ask for them specifically they may well be able to help - worth declaring any mental health problems and their impact so they can arrange something. 3rd level courses usually have project work.
Reply 3
I'm in my second year and I know i have a segment on my current course which is very SPSS based. The first was very basic in comparison to what you have already studied. THe tutor support is wonderful and although your on your own it is very easy with modern technology/ tutorials to find others studying the same time as you for that extra push when needed.

Quick Reply

Latest