Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drop my phone in my drink! Help!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So last night I got absolutly plastered and managed to drop my phone in my drink, must have left it there for quite a while, cause when i went to take another sip of my drink it tasted like phone.

It's now not working, i'm currently leaving it to dry in the conservatory, so fingers crossed it will start working again.

If it dosn't however start to work again what can i do?

It's not insured, could I claim it just stopped working and get another via warranty?

Could I claim it under student house insurance?

Could I start to get insurance on my phone and then claim?

So annoyed with myself, and got a hangover to boot!

Help mucho's appreciated.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It wont be covered in the warranty because it's water damage I think. Dunno about insurances.

I wouldn't try turning it on until the battery is fully dry, so leave it be for a few hours at least.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    It wont be covered in the warranty because it's water damage I think. Dunno about insurances.

I wouldn't try turning it on until the battery is fully dry, so leave it be for a few hours at least.
    Yeah but they don't know its water damage

Could just say it randomly decided to stop working? Bit dodgy but it's the best I can come up with!

Well being rather intoxicated at the time, my initial reaction was to turn it on. Thinking about it now I should have left it to dry first. It has flashed white a couple of times, so at least the screen is working a bit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've dropped my phone into liquid 3 times now. It is still working fine.
    Leave it to dry out. when you think it is dry leave it for a few more hours just to be sure.

Read your insurance policy that should tell you if you are covered. I doubt any phone insurance will cover it though.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Leave it to dry out COMPLETELY before you turn it on
    Most phone insurance won't cover it - a warranty certainly won't - because it was your own daft fault :p:
    If you're lucky you might be able to claim on house insurance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luize)
    I've dropped my phone into liquid 3 times now. It is still working fine.
    Leave it to dry out. when you think it is dry leave it for a few more hours just to be sure.

Read your insurance policy that should tell you if you are covered. I doubt any phone insurance will cover it though.
    That quite reassuring thanks.

Yeah i'd have to look into the house insurance. I'll see.

I don't see why it shouldnt work if it drys out properly!

Fingers crossed.

Lucky for me I brought my old phone back to my student house yesturday to sell on ebay, so for the time being i'm using that!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keybolasosa)
    So last night I got absolutly plastered and managed to drop my phone in my drink, must have left it there for quite a while, cause when i went to take another sip of my drink it tasted like phone.
    That made me laugh haha. Slightly worried you knew what phone tasted like. How long have you had the phone for?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    make use of the hot sunny day to your advantage
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    That made me laugh haha. Slightly worried you knew what phone tasted like. How long have you had the phone for?
    Had it on contract for about 2 months now. Sigh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well if the drying does not work you could always try what you had in mine with the warranty
    It happened to me once and the company just sent a new one, they probably did not examine the broken one until after they sent me the new one.
    I dont know if that works everytime though, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Oh and if it s on contract, the contract company might have offers for you, for example it may offer to give you an older model for free.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tahngarth)
    Well if the drying does not work you could always try what you had in mine with the warranty
    It happened to me once and the company just sent a new one, they probably did not examine the broken one until after they sent me the new one.
    I dont know if that works everytime though, but it doesn't hurt to try.
    That sounds like a plan to me! cheers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well. It did start to work. But now the screens decided it wants to die. Any suggestions on what you htink i should do?

Ring up orange contract people, get them to send me another one? Reckon they'd just send me another one without checking how my old one broke?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Worth a try I guess...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    worth mentioning when you drop any electrical item in liquid unless its your hair dryer whilst your in the bath, that you should remove the battery whilst its drying!!

Remember people remove the battery (this could be the factor that saves your phone), most of the damage is cause by the power shorting it out. just take out the battery, towel dry iut as much as poss, and then take the phone apart as much as possible without using tools, eg. nokia, remove face plates etc to help it dry, n leave it ther for atleast 24 hours, pref 48 without turning it on... then cross your fingers and prey!!

Robcampo

Ps. just to add a little amusement, a mate of mine did this to his calculator, and tried to dry it out for an exam the next day.. he left it on a lamp.. its the funniest site seeing someone with a calculator that now works again, but with several melted buttons that rendered it unusable....!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 10, 2006
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.