The Student Room Group

Have you ever been a victim of a crime? If so what happened?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guy Secretan
How much did you have in your account?

About £500.
Reply 21
Original post by STARFLEET
Someone hit me on the back and stole my phone in quite an affulent area. I guess you can say I was hit by and struck by a smooth criminal.

Whereabouts was this at?

I have heard that this does happen a lot in many parts of London to wealthy foreign tourists.

Original post by the mezzil
4 Lads tried to nick my bike in a park about 3 years ago.

Two ended up going the hospital; with a broken collarbone, the other with a broken arm. One guy got knocked clean out for about 15 seconds and the other just had a minor nose bleed and black eye.

About a year ago I got started on in the Pub by about 6 guys who thought I was giving them a funny look (I wasn't)

2 got knocked out before 3 of my mates stormed in from outside and finished the rest of who ran down the street.

Those crooks didn't file a complaint against you?

Original post by Steezy
Burgled, bike stolen, car hit with the driver driving away, mugged for weed, blackmailed by a bouncer at a rave for £20, think that's about it...

Mugged for weed? Crooks these days.

Original post by Ripper-Roo
Someone stole a sat nav from the car

Was the sat-nav attached to the windshield or in the glovebox? Always surprises me how something so cheap always seem to get stolen in UK.
Original post by brownbearxo
About £500.

jeez I thought they were legally obliged to pay it back

Its a debit card so no. Thats credit cards.

They seemed to think I was complicit in the fraud, even though there were multiple withdrawals made at diff times of night all over london in places I have never been to.

Tbh I was young, and barclays really bullied me over it with multiple anon phone calls threatening me. I was just happy to have the debt removed. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by officelinebacker
TL;DR - I got arrested when somebody else stole my motorbike.

That sounds bad, can't believe they would arrest you after all the documentation. Vehicles coming out of impound completely thrashed isn't unusual though.

I never particularly had much respect for police after moving to UK, while they are by no means the worst in the world the professionalism of some of them leave a lot to be desired.
Reply 25

They are legally not required to return any money to you that belonged to you in a fraudulent situation unless the negligence is on the part of the bank. Therefore if it is a debit card your money isn't as protected against fraud.

One of the reasons why when I'm in UK or many 3rd world countries I never use my debit card unless it is at an ATM machine and don't normally keep that much cash in the account that could be accessed by that debit card.
Reply 26
Original post by brownbearxo
Its a debit card so no. Thats credit cards.

They seemed to think I was complicit in the fraud, even though there were multiple withdrawals made at diff times of night all over london in places I have never been to.

Tbh I was young, and barclays really bullied me over it with multiple anon phone calls threatening me. I was just happy to have the debt removed. :frown:

You should have made a complaint to the financial services ombudsmen. Did you write to the various credit reporting agencies to explain to them that the debt that is causing a blemish was a fraudulent transaction? It does help to improve your credit score and sometimes it does get removed too.
Reply 27
Original post by Woodlepoodle
Someone stole my phone out my hand and tried to run away. I tripped him up and took the phone back off him. No point calling he police, to much hassle plus I had college to get to.

Definitely no point calling the police.

Were you using the phone at the time of incident or was just holding it in hand?
This is very interesting to know all your scared experiences.
The country was the victim of obtaining services by deception in 1997. Paul Daniels said he'd leave the country if Labour got in, Tony Blair became PM but Paul Daniels didn't leave.
Reply 30
Original post by Alfissti
Surprising so many crooks break into homes and steal food stuff.

The school didn't have CCTV to monitor the IT room?

Mugged in daylight???? I never thought this happened.

Anything came of it or was reporting it another waste of your time?

A love rival or just a plain psycho?

Wow.....but karma.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah there were people about to, took no notice though as the mugger was a similar age to me so probably thought it was just two kids mucking about.

Nothing came of it, no.

Nope not a love rival, just a psycho. She knew me through a dodgy beauty school I went to at the time and we barely had anything to do with each other and only started doing it after she left (she left long before me, rumour was it was because she was kicked out as caught stealing from the salon she had her placement at). She kept somehow getting hold of my number, even after me changing it several times. She apparently did it because she thought that I called her "frog eyes" when in fact I didn't (which she knew), it was several of the other girls on the class and she wasn't arsed about it anyway.

Yeah I know this was in a "posh" part of Wirral to :tongue:
Reply 31
Whereabouts was this at?

I have heard that this does happen a lot in many parts of London to wealthy foreign tourists.

Mugged for weed? Crooks these days.

Was the sat-nav attached to the windshield or in the glovebox? Always surprises me how something so cheap always seem to get stolen in UK.

Glovebox, the car wasn't locked
Reply 32
Nearly got mugged by a group of 5 boys in balaclava's, luckily my friend was there and beat the **** out of one of them and I just ran away like a pussy :lol:
hmm been in a couple of fights but thats about it really but its quite enjoyable sometimes. Not sure how i would react if i was a victim of crime.
Reply 34
Did it surprise you someone wanted to steal the "worthless bike" ?

Very much so. I went home and told my parents, they actually laughed.

Probably too embarrassed. Anyway they would go down for attempted theft, whilst I would be let off because is was self defence.
Driving along when a van pulled out of a pub car park straight into the side of me.

He drove off.

I didn't get the number plate, so went into the pub to ask if anyone knew who the driver was. Amazingly nobody has the faintest idea who he was :rollseyes:

But as it happened, a group of teenagers were on the other side of the road, and they'd seen the whole thing. They came over to make sure we were OK, and one of them had clocked the number plate. I reported it to the police, and they tracked the bastard down. The car was written off, but we got the value of the car on his insurance (so we didn't have to claim). But no criminal charges were pressed. I strongly suspect he was drunk, but no way of proving it after the fact.
Surprising so many crooks break into homes and steal food stuff.

The school didn't have CCTV to monitor the IT room?

Mugged in daylight???? I never thought this happened.

Anything came of it or was reporting it another waste of your time?

A love rival or just a plain psycho?

Wow.....but karma.

It wasn't in the IT room, it was in the hallway. I've no idea if they had CCTV though, I never told them about it.
Some kids started on me and a mate in a park, we went to fight back when older guys there got a couple of knives out and told us we had to take it whilst they 'trained' the kids. So we did.

Some guy tried to mug me and started shoving me after a night out, just hit him and ran to my house at the end if the street.

Didn't report either to the police, hadn't lost anything so didn't need the report for insurance.
Reply 39
Original post by Le Nombre
Some kids started on me and a mate in a park, we went to fight back when older guys there got a couple of knives out and told us we had to take it whilst they 'trained' the kids. So we did.

Some guy tried to mug me and started shoving me after a night out, just hit him and ran to my house at the end if the street.

Didn't report either to the police, hadn't lost anything so didn't need the report for insurance.

How did the fight go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending