The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
because of your name

edit: Because 70% of my uni course are girls and they dislike creeps

edit again: because of this post likes I've lost my red gem reputation.. now everyone will think I agree with most TSRians when I don't thus they're deceived thus return negative ratings
(edited 10 years ago)
I just don't enjoy those subjects :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I don't find them interesting, otherwise I'd be motivated to at least do it at A Level.
I'm one of the exceptions (I do maths, my Mum did maths and my Dad did English).

However, I went to a girls' school, and these subjects were quite under-represented amongst non-Chinese girls. There seemed to be a culture of not wanting to be nerdy, or finding it 'cool' to say maths was difficult.

I wouldn't say vast majority - about 40% of the people on my course are girls. However, there's certainly a large imbalance across the board.
(edited 10 years ago)
I did Econ because I wanted to do something both highly boring, and more or less useless in the real world. But I was too embarrassed to do an arts degree.
Most of them are too busy jumpin on the bang wagon doing a Geordie Shore
Original post by GenghisKhan'sDNA
i know there are exceptions, i am not talking about every single girl in the world. but the degrees i mentioned have very few girls in the compared to boys. so i want to hear from the girls (the vast majority) who didn't choose to pursue them , why did you avoid them?

I actually slightly agree. I'm a girl (surprise surprise) who's applied for MPhys this year, and I'm sick of being the only girl on the visit days. Please, we need more intelligent girls!!
Original post by Octohedral

I wouldn't say vast majority - about 40% of the people on my course are girls. However, there's certainly a large imbalance across the board.

that's good to hear. but why is that the IMO elite is 98% or smth male even today? i'm not even mentioning fields medals (0% women, as i'm sure you know) since that could bring in other issues like family life etc. these are teenagers who are brilliant at maths, boys or girls. so why do boys make up almost 100% of the apex? especially when girls score better across the board and on average.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
This question can be reversed as well. Boys, why don't you do humanities based subjects?

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/mar/18/girls-physics-boys-other-subjects-gender-disparity
Original post by harrietta
This question can be reversed as well. Boys, why don't you do humanities based subjects?

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/mar/18/girls-physics-boys-other-subjects-gender-disparity

good question. why do you think that is?
Reply 11
Original post by Changing Skies
I just don't enjoy those subjects :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Ndella
I don't find them interesting, otherwise I'd be motivated to at least do it at A Level.

Why?
Reply 12

Gonna sound like a total snob here but STEM subjects are generally more useful than humanities.

So its kinda good that less boys are doing English and doing generally more useful STEM subjects.

It would be better to have more girls graduating with more useful degrees in general, to lessen the gap in career choices between men and women
Original post by Red one
Why?

Not a fan of anything (heavily) mathematical, thus they don't appeal to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I did Econ because I wanted to do something both highly boring, and more or less useless in the real world. But I was too embarrassed to do an arts degree.

Does Economics really count as a science?
Original post by Pride
Does Economics really count as a science?

I don't think so, although there is a surprising amount of maths involved.

I was answering why I didn't do a science degree.

Because doing Shakespeare at GSCE/A-Level has put me off for life.
Reply 17
Original post by cah846
I actually slightly agree. I'm a girl (surprise surprise) who's applied for MPhys this year, and I'm sick of being the only girl on the visit days. Please, we need more intelligent girls!!

umm

let's not make the assumption that few girls are applying to Physics because few girls are intelligent...
Original post by Octohedral

However, I went to a girls' school, and these subjects were quite under-represented amongst non-Chinese girls. There seemed to be a culture of not wanting to be nerdy, or finding it 'cool' to say maths was difficult.

I don't think the 'maths isn't cool' thing applies exsclusively to girls, or young people. How many people do you know, of all ages, who appear to wear their 'I was never good at Maths' badges with pride??

What course specifically do you do? In my experience it tends to be that the amount of girls on science courses generally goes Biology>Chemistry>Physics. From the modules (as part of a chemistry degree)I have done, the ones which have a more biology leaning (BioChem) have double or triple the amount of girls than those with Physics leanings (Quantum Mech + ChemPhysics).

I think a lot is made of the amount of men, compared to women at the top of science and it is an issue, but if girls aren't applying to the courses neccesary to qualify for those roles then there isn't much we can do about it at such a high level, the change has to happen long before that stage, at GCSE/A-level type age.
Reply 19
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I don't think so, although there is a surprising amount of maths involved.

I was answering why I didn't do a science degree.

Oh right I see, your post was even more self-deprecating than I initially thought... :teehee:

Latest