The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hoosierette
I know it's really sad. By saying that it sums up my life I don't mean that I've been put off STEM subjects for that reason, I'm quite the opposite, like you. But I continuously look around and see girls doing other subjects and acting certain ways for exactly that reason and it just frustrates me all the time! I hate the expectations we have put upon us.

I would enjoy being able to talk to a girlfriend about about nerdy science stuff. It is an attractive quality for me.
Original post by victoriajackson
Biochemistry :smile: hoping to move onto immunology. What about you?

Cool. Physics :biggrin:
I've been told the same, came to uni and guys absolutely love my nerdiness :P It is better to be smart than pretty in my opinion beauty will eventually fade then what will you be left with? And you're most likely both! In the least self centred way possible I am, and that's just what I've been told took me a long time to accept people telling me I was attractive I always just thought I was an ugly nerd since nobody wanted to date me in high school.

That is definitely the case my grandmother never asks me anything about uni only if I have found a boyfriend yet :/ and that uni is a place to meet your husband and that I'm some kind of failure if I don't as if that is all that matters.

A guy who can't appreciate your intelligence and passion for a subject is not worthy of you :smile:

I didn't really care at school, as long as I beat them in class I was happy. :lol: My sister gets it as well, and she's very pretty, and taller than I was at her age and she was told that boys don't fancy smart girls. She thinks they're all boring anyway. I got to uni and guys just don't care either way, as long as you can quote Withnail and I :tongue:. But just because I wasn't especially bothered by it, doesn't mean the attitude's not there, there's definitely this idea at school that if you're smart, you'll never attract anyone, and that being single is a terrible, terrible thing. I'm lucky actually that my grandparents all ask me how I'm doing at uni rather than asking me about a boyfriend, my mum's always taught me that looks are something you have, not what you are. Although I spent a long time basing my self worth around how well I did I school, and I think that in some cases that can be as bad as having people base it around their looks.

Although that said, a lot of the guys at school who were smart were written off as nerds and there was this idea they'd never get girlfriends. Basically, it's not cool to work hard at school.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I would enjoy being able to talk to a girlfriend about about nerdy science stuff. It is an attractive quality for me.

Cool. I'm not saying that guys don't like nerdy girls - I know (thankfully :P ) that many do. The thing is that most girls don't realise that and see being nerdy as uncool...
Original post by Катя
Prob because they're considered to be "girly" degrees and god forbid a lad does a girly subject (???)

Idk I'm basing this on a male friend I have who gets the piss taken out of him constantly for applying to do English and creative writing at UEA/Warwick

But to answer your original question, because I genuinely felt uncomfortable in all-male physics classes. and because my physics teacher told me when I said I was considering a physics degree that "you'll only get in because you're a girl and everyone is obsessed with political correctless. girls are naturally bad at physics but nobody seems to be able to accept that. lol"

Also because it never really got shown to me as a genuine career/degree choice. I was always told "science and engineering are for boys, why don't you do art or philosophy".

UEA's one of the best places in the country for English with Creative Writing :biggrin: But I read an article a while ago where people were discussing how English tends not to be made into a very attractive subject for boys (to be fair, standard grade English could easily have put me off for life, it was tedious), and neither are foreign languages. So I think it's bad for boys and girls.
In all honesty I hated school and didn't try very hard. Science was always my favourite subject even through secondary although I still disliked the lessons, I also hated maths and I left school without a GCSE in it.

I didn't have a single A or B in any subject when I left school and spent the first year out of school (aged 16) working with horses. But I turned 19 in January this year and I've just firmed an offer from a RG uni for physics starting this September, the time out of school really allowed me to explore and learn in my own way. Sometimes school just isn't the right environment to allow people to flourish and for some of us you just need to be allowed to go out in the world and walk your own personally made academic path for a while.

I think that there are many contributing factors as to why girls don't go into STEM degree's and the main factor is the school environment, it needs to be changed.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
UEA's one of the best places in the country for English with Creative Writing :biggrin: But I read an article a while ago where people were discussing how English tends not to be made into a very attractive subject for boys (to be fair, standard grade English could easily have put me off for life, it was tedious), and neither are foreign languages. So I think it's bad for boys and girls.

Completely agree with you there. Gender stereotypes literally serve no useful purpose. :frown:
Because girls are told (consciously and subconsciously) the most important thing in life is attracting and keeping a man. We're told to be ambitious but too much ambition scares men away they like to earn more than their partner or they feel emasculated, like to be more intelligent than their and so on. We're told that to have intelligence or be "nerdy" is unattractive and uncool hence girls dumb themselves down, say they hate those subjects to appear cooler and more attractive so never put any effort into them or want to study them. Of course some girls simply don't enjoy them but just from my experience in school this is why girls didn't do these subjects.

I chose a STEM subject because I got to the point I didn't give a crap whether or not people found me cool or attractive although I admit for a long time I accepted those facts without question.

Well said!
Original post by cah846
Well said!

Think something should be done about it I'm just trying to think what it kills me that girls bow down to this stupid pressure.
Reply 369
Original post by Ilak01
I've been a math/physic-sy person, so I wanted a job, where I can apply problem solving skills. I do love DIY works (its not really engineering, but I feel like an engineer when doing those sort of stuffs:biggrin:) Nobody in my family share my interest in the subject. In fact they would really like me to become a medic, since they know more about the health sector than anything else. I really got into the whole idea by watching Top Gear, and engineering documentaries.
Your subjects look so fun!!! Music and Maths!!! What made you choose those subjects? Do they overlap a lot, or are they at two ends of the spectrum?

Awesome :biggrin: Well I study maths and music because my intention was and might still be, although I'm struggling a little for motivation now, to have a career in both, preferably as a concert pianist on the music side. Now though I'm not really too happy with my music department and am realising I'll do much better if I can focus on maths-and I have one exam where it's just essays which I'm dreading :frown: . Yeah, Top Gear's cool :wink: anyway, I've slowly become less practical since I was a kid(and liked DIY :tongue: ) so probably without a car-obsessed(also train- and plane-obsessed :rolleyes: ) family I'd be interested in pure maths research, but I want to study electromagnetism and fluid dynamics, basically all the applied maths I can which is used a lot in engineering, and dad still tries to explain engines :wink: And seriously, music and maths don't really overlap here and if they did I wouldn't know as I'll have all but dropped music for the next two years.
I am the only girl in my physics class at A-Level and all the boys look at me like I'm some sort of mythical creature.

I'm doing a physics + astrophysics degree starting in September, but I've been in a male-dominated environment for so long now that I hope it won't be a problem.
Original post by MayGenevieve
I am the only girl in my physics class at A-Level and all the boys look at me like I'm some sort of mythical creature.

I'm doing a physics + astrophysics degree starting in September, but I've been in a male-dominated environment for so long now that I hope it won't be a problem.

Haha, I know the feeling to begin with! (There's only 1 other girl in my computing class).

Which University are you going to?
Original post by Hoosierette
Haha, I know the feeling to begin with! (There's only 1 other girl in my computing class).

Which University are you going to?

Birmingham! I'm so excited! :biggrin:
Because they are women .
They are supposed to do hair and beauty and admin jobs
I dont understand why, we need more girls doing these jobs, also the ratio of boys to girls puts me off.
I do all science subjects at A level, and if I went to uni I'd do maths or physics.

Original post by matthewduncan
Because they are women .

No we really don't have to do those jobs :rolleyes:

Original post by MayGenevieve

I'm the only girl in my physics class - it's not that bad. They just treat me like another member of their class.
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
I do all science subjects at A level, and if I went to uni I'd do maths or physics.

No we really don't have to do those jobs :rolleyes:

I'm the only girl in my physics class - it's not that bad. They just treat me like another member of their class.

I stand by my assertion
I stand by my assertion

Good for you. I'm gonna go have a career in science or maths...:tongue:
Because they are women .

You're a cheeky little chappy, aren't you?
Original post by Sophsha
I dont understand why, we need more girls doing these jobs, also the ratio of boys to girls puts me off.

No, don't let it put you off! xD Science is awesome (Well, Chemistry and Physics)

OP, I surprisingly know a lot of girls thinking of going for maths, comp sci, physics and chemistry- over a third of my year. This leads me to the conclusion that it is the environment that girls are in. I go to an all-girls' grammar school, so I think this is why there's never this element of certain subjects being 'for girls' or 'for boys'.. We just do what we want to do, which I think is awesome :biggrin:
I'm personally a hopeful chemist (and physicist), so I think it's sad that in my (potential) future job, I'm going to be vastly outnumbered by males. I think that if, in schools, there was more of this idea of letting people know that they can do what they want to do, there'd be less of this idea of subjects for boys and for girls. I blame the government (everything is the government's fault :wink: )

Latest