The Student Room Group

Re-application???

Hi,

I have just received my 4th and final rejection for medicine and will now re-apply for 2015 entry. I didn't really consider this option so have no idea what to do in re-applying.
# Do I need to redo my personnel statement?
# I know I need to redo the UKCAT
# I will obviously get medical work/voluntary work sorted for the year.
#anything else I need to do?

anyone who has gone through this and could offer any advice that would be great!

Many thanks,

Sam
Reply 1
Original post by Sam_1996
Hi,

I have just received my 4th and final rejection for medicine and will now re-apply for 2015 entry. I didn't really consider this option so have no idea what to do in re-applying.

anyone who has gone through this and could offer any advice that would be great!

Many thanks,

Sam

Hi, You do need to re write your personal statement, writing what you want to do on your gap year and the experience you're going to get etc, and try and get work in a medical/health environment as that should help the ethical questions in interviews next year and also looks reallllly good on your ps!

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hi,

Many thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam,

I am a re-applicant this year and have received 2 offers as opposed to 0 offers last year.

First and foremost before you reapply you should concentrate on getting the best set of exam results you can this summer.

As for your application you should question yourself as to where you think it went wrong and you should focus on improving your main weakness. e.g. Not having a high enough ukcat, having a weak personal statement, not being confident at interview etc.

I would suggest finding some form of work whether it is full or part time as that can be something that you could add to your personal statement/reference and it will give you something to talk about at interview.

Last thing that I think really helped me this year was applying tactically: know what universities want in their applicants and play that to your strengths. E.g applying to non-ukcat universities if you think you haven't achieved a competitive score etc.

Hope this helps
Hi,

Many thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam

Not wanting to repeat what people have already said too much, but think about where you were weak this year. UKCAT and BMAT scores tend to be higher the second time you sit them, and you will have more work experience so your application will inevitably be stronger.

Some of our students found that getting a full-time job in a clinical environment (healthcare assistant, porter etc.) gave them real confidence at interview as for many of the questions they were asked, they had already experienced those problems in their full time job. Also, as you will definitely be 18 by the Summer, more clinical work experience is available to you.

In the past we've known medical schools to give unsuccessful applicants feedback on their application when requested, so it is definitely worth getting in touch by email with the admissions offices of where you applied. You might get nothing from them but there's certainly no harm in trying.

Don't be disheartened: lots of people are successful second time round and you can use the involuntary gap year to really increases your chances next time round.

All the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending