The Student Room Group

Which UK Law school to choose from Cardiff, Manchester, Newcastle and York...

Hi,

I have offers from these four universities but I am not sure which to choose. Addressing current students, potential/prospective students, 'would have been but chose not to' students regarding these certain universities, and anyone else for that matter with knowledge/advice on the topic please share and help.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by ARushton
Hi,

I have offers from these four universities but I am not sure which to choose. Addressing current students, potential/prospective students, 'would have been but chose not to' students regarding these certain universities, and anyone else for that matter with knowledge/advice on the topic please share and help.

Thank you

I'd suggest Cardiff
Original post by 391iady
I'd suggest Cardiff

I back this and I'm a newcastle student.
You might want to have a real think about the York course and whether it would suit you. You'll probably be aware of this already but York's law course is based around PBL (Problem Based Learning) which makes it really different from the other places you've mentioned. It is also leaping up the league tables for law (I think it was 5th in the guardian or the times league table last year) so in terms of reputation it seems like it's growing above the others. Also, the campus that has the law building is brand spanking new and it's beautiful + the city of York is lovely (albeit a bit quiet and touristy so if you're looking for great nightlife then Manchester/Newcastle might be a safer bet)

Regarding Manchester: great reputation as a uni (although mainly known for sciences I think); very lively/busy city and the uni is right in the centre. However, on the negative side, I got a bit of a 'this is average' feeling on the open day: it didn't really elicit much enthusiasm in me.

The only thing I know about Newcastle is that it's known as an amazing student city and it has a good reputation as a university (but probably not as good as Manchester or York).

I know literally nothing whatsoever about Cardiff as a uni or city (sorry).

Out of the two that I visited (York and Manchester), I preferred York and it was a difficult choice between there and Warwick as my 4th choice (I picked Warwick in the end though).

Hope this was at least a bit helpful :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by AnyRandomName
You might want to have a real think about the York course and whether it would suit you. You'll probably be aware of this already but York's law course is based around PBL (Problem Based Learning) which makes it really different from the other places you've mentioned. It is also leaping up the league tables for law (I think it was 5th in the guardian or the times league table last year) so in terms of reputation it seems like it's growing above the others. Also, the campus that has the law building is brand spanking new and it's beautiful + the city of York is lovely (albeit a bit quiet and touristy so if you're looking for great nightlife then Manchester/Newcastle might be a safer bet)

Regarding Manchester: great reputation as a uni (although mainly known for sciences I think); very lively/busy city and the uni is right in the centre. However, on the negative side, I got a bit of a 'this is average' feeling on the open day: it didn't really elicit much enthusiasm in me.

The only thing I know about Newcastle is that it's known as an amazing student city and it has a good reputation as a university (but probably not as good as Manchester or York).

I know literally nothing whatsoever about Cardiff as a uni or city (sorry).

Out of the two that I visited (York and Manchester), I preferred York and it was a difficult choice between there and Warwick as my 4th choice (I picked Warwick in the end though).

Hope this was at least a bit helpful :smile:

Appreciate this, thank you. I really like the idea of the PBL course but lots of people have said Cardiff is a great place to be, and I think lifestyle will play an important part on how one does on their course. Manchester I take to be the safe bet. Newcastle is just miles away.
Reply 5
Original post by 391iady
I'd suggest Cardiff

:smile: Any reason why? I'm feeling Cardiff as well but my mind wants logical reasons...
Reply 6
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
I back this and I'm a newcastle student.

Is Newcastle not doing it for you?
Original post by ARushton
Is Newcastle not doing it for you?

Social life is good, but in terms of the law school meh. I'm not 100% sure because I haven't been to other law schools, but the library is tiny (so less books) and our lecture hall is uncomfortable - I still haven't adapted to the seats. I would say it is an ok law school, but it's really not what I expected.
Reply 8
Purely based on the league tables which we all know not to pay to much mind to Cardiff seems the lowest ranked of all your choices but that doesn't matter if that's the one you really like. The only one I can give you my opinion on is manchester I went to the open day and really loved it, the city was great lots to do and i liked the fact that the university is in the city but very contained so you definitely feel like your in a student environment. As for the course it's a large uni so they offer a wide range of optional modules also they mentioned about having teaching groups of up to 8 which seems quite good. If you had anymore questions on manchester I'd do my best to answer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending