The Student Room Group

Oxford MPhil Economics 2014/15

Well, to get it more specific - here's a thread mainly for MPhil Economics.

Got your results yet? Colleges? Funding? You name it....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lateralus_
Well, to get it more specific - here's a thread mainly for MPhil Economics.

Got your results yet? Colleges? Funding? You name it....

Hopefully this includes applicants and not just offer holders.. :wink: .. Any chance of a glimpse of your profile, given that you are one of the successful ones, and is the type of candidate they look for..
I've got a first from the Uni of Liverpool in Maths and Econ, MPhil in Finance from Camb, and have been working as an Analyst (macro-econ and equity research) in an EME for the past year or so...
Thanks for starting this thread!

I received my acceptance a week ago and am waiting to hear back about my college placement and funding. Do you know when funding decisions should be out?
Reply 3
Given that it's an MPhil do you have any ideas of research interests? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by kuzelle
Hopefully this includes applicants and not just offer holders.. :wink: .. Any chance of a glimpse of your profile, given that you are one of the successful ones, and is the type of candidate they look for..
I've got a first from the Uni of Liverpool in Maths and Econ, MPhil in Finance from Camb, and have been working as an Analyst (macro-econ and equity research) in an EME for the past year or so...

I've got a B.Sc. in Econ and a LL.B. (double degree (both done in minimum time, which is not common here)) from a Central European Uni, ranked in the top 0.5% in both degrees with an exchange semester at a top Asian Uni.
Got three really good LoRs (got to read one of them and I assume that the two other ones are kinda the same quality) from professors (all three are heads of their institute, one of them is my thesis advisor), an empirical thesis, which could have easily been a master-thesis(according to my prof) and some smaller research projects, TA for one semester. Moreover, tons of internships (e.g. top tier consulting firm), scholarships and awards, although I guess that didn't matter that much.
Reply 5
I've got a B.Sc. in Econ and a LL.B. (double degree (both done in minimum time, which is not common here)) from a Central European Uni, ranked in the top 0.5% in both degrees with an exchange semester at a top Asian Uni.
Got three really good LoRs (got to read one of them and I assume that the two other ones are kinda the same quality) from professors (all three are heads of their institute, one of them is my thesis advisor), an empirical thesis, which could have easily been a master-thesis(according to my prof) and some smaller research projects, TA for one semester. Moreover, tons of internships (e.g. top tier consulting firm), scholarships and awards, although I guess that didn't matter that much.

Great Profile! thanks for sharing... So Oxford really does set some exceptionally high standards...
Reply 6
Original post by kuzelle
Great Profile! thanks for sharing... So Oxford really does set some exceptionally high standards...

Not necessarily set standards, just have a tonne of applicants and get to pick the cream of the crop :tongue:.
Reply 7
Original post by ZakV
Not necessarily set standards, just have a tonne of applicants and get to pick the cream of the crop :tongue:.

Haha.. I guess those are the perils of applying to Oxbridge... or rather Camford.. :P
Reply 8
Nice thread.

Well i also received my offer for Mphil Economics at Oxford yesterday. To all offer holders and applicants, do you have any college preference? I am also waiting to hear for the fund. Any idea when they will release the results?

I also have three offers; Warwick- Msc Finance, Cambridge- Mphil Finance and LSE- Msc Finance; all with full funding. Kind of dilemma if i get a substantial fund from Oxford.

Goodluck to everyone.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by kuzelle

Hi Kuzelle,

Nice to know you are a Uni of Liverpool alumni…i am now doing my last semester here.

Can you share your experience at Cambridge- Mphil in Finance?
Reply 10
Original post by brotherG
Hi Kuzelle,

Nice to know you are a Uni of Liverpool alumni…i am now doing my last semester here.

Can you share your experience at Cambridge- Mphil in Finance?

Hey.. Are you from Liverpool as well? Well the MPhil in Finance is a great course, and is highly reputed within the uni (apparently had the lowest acceptance rate from all MPhils in Cambridge). The year I did it in, the course was largely structured in a way to develop ones empirical skills (quite a few continued with their PHD's in other unis). Of course the course structure might have changed from now to then. If you're taking the Financial Engineering course, you have the opportunity to take modules from part iii of the mathematical tripos, which is supposed to be one of the toughest maths programs around and gives u a decent base from which to apply to quant positions. Though the courses were insanely tough and stressful from what I heard and might put you at a disadvantage when comparing your final marks with the rest of the class (even though the marks for maths modules are bumped up). The students who had a stronger maths background (particularly in stochastic calculus) found it relatively easier than others..

Im not sure as to how it ranks up against the program at LSE though, since that too is a very highly spoken of program. :smile:

Unfortunately for me, halfway through the program I realised that finance wasn't really my thing.. Shame given that I had an offer for the MPhil in Econ program at Camb, and picked Finance instead. Anyways hope this helps. And congrats with all the offers! Let me know if you need any more information.. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Hey
Hope to seeyou all at oxford soon.
Any of you from playing fields of eton ?

My funding comes from saving and plan to work part time as a tutor.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Nice thread.

Well i also received my offer for Mphil Economics at Oxford yesterday. To all offer holders and applicants, do you have any college preference? I am also waiting to hear for the fund. Any idea when they will release the results?

I also have three offers; Warwick- Msc Finance, Cambridge- Mphil Finance and LSE- Msc Finance; all with full funding. Kind of dilemma if i get a substantial fund from Oxford.

Goodluck to everyone.

Wtf how did you get soo many offers ?
Which school did you go to? Did you get 100% at uni or something
Reply 13
Nice thread.

Goodluck to everyone.

What kind of scholarship did you get from LSE? At least for students from Europe there are basically no LSE scholarships available.
Reply 14
Nice thread.

Goodluck to everyone.

I wrote them an email yesterday, but unfortunately I am not getting any funding from the department. Anyway, they have already told me my college, even though I haven't received anything official from the college yet. Hope to get some funding there :/

So maybe just write them and they'll check for you whether you are on the list for funding.
Reply 15
Original post by makesure
What kind of scholarship did you get from LSE? At least for students from Europe there are basically no LSE scholarships available.

I am an international student. Lord Dahrendorf Scholarship.
Reply 16
Original post by James222
Wtf how did you get soo many offers ?
Which school did you go to? Did you get 100% at uni or something

Not really…85% in year one, 90% in year two. Top in class for both years. Maybe some luck too.!:smile:!
Reply 17
I wrote them an email yesterday, but unfortunately I am not getting any funding from the department. Anyway, they have already told me my college, even though I haven't received anything official from the college yet. Hope to get some funding there :/

So maybe just write them and they'll check for you whether you are on the list for funding.

Thanks Lateralus.

Surprisingly, i received the fund email today. Sorry that you didn't get some from the department. Cross my fingers for you.

Are you looking forward to accept the offer? Do you have any idea how is the course like; for instance the level of mathematics and things like that?

Goodluck:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by kuzelle
Hey.. Are you from Liverpool as well? Well the MPhil in Finance is a great course, and is highly reputed within the uni (apparently had the lowest acceptance rate from all MPhils in Cambridge). The year I did it in, the course was largely structured in a way to develop ones empirical skills (quite a few continued with their PHD's in other unis). Of course the course structure might have changed from now to then. If you're taking the Financial Engineering course, you have the opportunity to take modules from part iii of the mathematical tripos, which is supposed to be one of the toughest maths programs around and gives u a decent base from which to apply to quant positions. Though the courses were insanely tough and stressful from what I heard and might put you at a disadvantage when comparing your final marks with the rest of the class (even though the marks for maths modules are bumped up). The students who had a stronger maths background (particularly in stochastic calculus) found it relatively easier than others..

Im not sure as to how it ranks up against the program at LSE though, since that too is a very highly spoken of program. :smile:

Unfortunately for me, halfway through the program I realised that finance wasn't really my thing.. Shame given that I had an offer for the MPhil in Econ program at Camb, and picked Finance instead. Anyways hope this helps. And congrats with all the offers! Let me know if you need any more information.. :smile:

Thanks Kuzelle. Yes, i am from Liverpool too. It was in deed helpful. I am also trying to judge myself as to which course will be the best to me (either Finance or Economics). Deep inside, i enjoy finance classes more than economics (though i have done just few economics classes). :smile:

Are you planning to pursue PhD after your MPhil in Economics?

Best of luck.
Reply 19
Not really…85% in year one, 90% in year two. Top in class for both years. Maybe some luck too.!:smile:!

Congrats man !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending