The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Anyone applying for Physics with Particle Physics at Holloway?

I'm debating whether to apply to this course. I loved the open day and I have an offer after an interview of AAA/AAB. Anyone know how this course ranks against others? Also is anyone thinking of applying to this course or physics in general? Does anyone have any information about this course? :smile:
Jordan
Reply 1
anyone?
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/studyhere/prospectus/brochures/physicsug.pdf

I'm intending to firm RHUL for Astrophysics. On the Guardian listings, I think it's ranked 11th in the country for physics. Have you looked at the prospectus (link above)? There's quite a lot of detail in it about the course modules you will be studying.
Original post by quarkyjordan
I'm debating whether to apply to this course. I loved the open day and I have an offer after an interview of AAA/AAB. Anyone know how this course ranks against others? Also is anyone thinking of applying to this course or physics in general? Does anyone have any information about this course? :smile:
Jordan

anyone?

Hi Jordan,

I can see you've got some great questions that are really important, so I thought I'd try and help with at least the last one!

Firstly, congratulations on your offer! To provide you with some information, BSc Physics is a 3 year course which focuses on the founding principles and concepts of Physics and its Mathematical description in the first year. The second year provides a more in-depth study of modern Physics, and your final year will generally be based on current research. The course also has an emphasis on small-group teaching.

You may already know this from the 2014 Prospectus and your interview, so I'm sorry if this is all information you already know, but I hope it still helps. This may also be a useful link: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/physics/prospectivestudents/home.aspx

Good luck with your studies!

Emily
Reply 4
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi Jordan,

I can see you've got some great questions that are really important, so I thought I'd try and help with at least the last one!

Firstly, congratulations on your offer! To provide you with some information, BSc Physics is a 3 year course which focuses on the founding principles and concepts of Physics and its Mathematical description in the first year. The second year provides a more in-depth study of modern Physics, and your final year will generally be based on current research. The course also has an emphasis on small-group teaching.

You may already know this from the 2014 Prospectus and your interview, so I'm sorry if this is all information you already know, but I hope it still helps. This may also be a useful link: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/physics/prospectivestudents/home.aspx

Good luck with your studies!

Emily

This is very helpful thank you very much.
I've been struggling to choose between Southampton, Kings or holloway. After visiting them all holloway was my favourite but I'm worried the course isn't as highly ranked as say in Kings and Southampton (as they are Russel groups) I wonder if you have any advice?

Jordan
Reply 5
Original post by Schadenfreude65
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/studyhere/prospectus/brochures/physicsug.pdf

I'm intending to firm RHUL for Astrophysics. On the Guardian listings, I think it's ranked 11th in the country for physics. Have you looked at the prospectus (link above)? There's quite a lot of detail in it about the course modules you will be studying.

Thank you this is very useful :smile:
Jordan
This is very helpful thank you very much.
I've been struggling to choose between Southampton, Kings or holloway. After visiting them all holloway was my favourite but I'm worried the course isn't as highly ranked as say in Kings and Southampton (as they are Russel groups) I wonder if you have any advice?

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

I'm glad to be of help! I can also understand your struggle as it is hard to choose between some very well-respected universities.

I can give you some information which I hope can help your decision-making process, but I do not want to influence it in any way because it is so important for you to choose a university you personally will feel most at home in.

In terms of Royal Holloway not being a Russell Group university, this is because it does not offer the vocationally focussed subjects required by this group and is relatively small in size compared to other members. However, it is a member of the University of London (therefore you can use the Senate House Library in London too) and it should be noted that the ranking of Royal Holloway is, in many cases, higher than a number of members of the Russell Group.

If you want more in-depth detail on Royal Holloway's Physics courses then you can look at this programme specification: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/studyhere/progspecs/repository/physics/ug/physicsfrom2013-ugprogrammespecification%28latest%29.pdf Please note that it is for September 2013 entrants, but it should still give you some useful insight into Physics at Royal Holloway.

From the sounds of it, if you really liked Royal Holloway then remember that rankings should only form a part of your decision, and that course content and your overall experience of the university are also important factors to consider.

I hope that helps, and good luck with choosing!

Best,

Emily
Reply 7
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi Jordan,

I'm glad to be of help! I can also understand your struggle as it is hard to choose between some very well-respected universities.

I can give you some information which I hope can help your decision-making process, but I do not want to influence it in any way because it is so important for you to choose a university you personally will feel most at home in.

In terms of Royal Holloway not being a Russell Group university, this is because it does not offer the vocationally focussed subjects required by this group and is relatively small in size compared to other members. However, it is a member of the University of London (therefore you can use the Senate House Library in London too) and it should be noted that the ranking of Royal Holloway is, in many cases, higher than a number of members of the Russell Group.

If you want more in-depth detail on Royal Holloway's Physics courses then you can look at this programme specification: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/studyhere/progspecs/repository/physics/ug/physicsfrom2013-ugprogrammespecification%28latest%29.pdf Please note that it is for September 2013 entrants, but it should still give you some useful insight into Physics at Royal Holloway.

From the sounds of it, if you really liked Royal Holloway then remember that rankings should only form a part of your decision, and that course content and your overall experience of the university are also important factors to consider.

I hope that helps, and good luck with choosing!

Best,

Emily

thank you for your time this is very helpful for my decision :smile: I shall go with the place I felt most at home at and it seems Holloway has alot of perks :smile:
Jordan
thank you for your time this is very helpful for my decision :smile: I shall go with the place I felt most at home at and it seems Holloway has alot of perks :smile:
Jordan

I'm very pleased to hear that! I hope you have a fantastic time, and the best of luck with all your exams!

Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending