The Student Room Group

Anxiety brought on by apparently nothing?

Hey,

So I've been having some issues with my anxiety lately.

Background story: always been a nervous person, but anxiety has gradually got worse into my teens (now 19).

Yesterday, just out of the blue, I started feeling anxious, unsettled, and on edge. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, just was on my laptop browsing. My mum saw I was distressed and tried calming me down but I asked her to stop talking to me because that often makes it worse. So I tried breathing through it, but about 20 minutes later, it got very bad. My heart started racing, my breathing became really fast and I felt like I was going to throw up. The not knowing what had triggered it made me feel extremely upset at the same time, so I started crying. It last around 5 minutes, and after that it got better but I still felt extremely "jittery" - like having butterflies but multiplied by 100.

It took me about an hour before I felt OK again.

My boyfriend has suggested I go to the GP about it, but my mum's always told me it's not a medical issue, it's just in my nature to be nervous. But these attacks are out of the blue, and although they don't happen often, when they do, it really isn't pleasant.

I've tried thinking what could have caused it but I honestly have no idea. Is it possible to have an anxiety attack with no trigger??

Also, if I go to the GP, what will they do? I'm already nervous about going to the GP in case they just think I'm exaggerating or something...

Anyone been in the same situation?
Hi there,

I have also always been a very nervous person (I'm nearly 19) and have always had anxiety problems.

I have had panic attacks just lying in bed at night, it is completely possible just to get them out of the blue as both me and a few of my friends do.

As for it "not being a medical problem", it completely is :smile: Whilst it is mainly psychological it is also due to hormone imbalances in the body. I went to my doctor and they were brilliant about it. They gave me medication to help with the anxiety and referred me to a CBT service which really helps.

The medication I've been on:
Beta-blockers - to help with anxiety. These didn't really work for me but I know people who they have worked well for and helped reduce their anxiety.
Diazepam - this was an extreme case because I was getting panic attacks 2 or 3 times a day.
Sertraline - which is technically an anti-depressant (I was also depressed at the time) but it works well for helping with anxiety as well.
Bachs Rescue Remedy - this is a herbal thing you can just buy in boots but I found the chewy lozenges helped as it distracted me from feeling anxious if I could feel a panic attack coming on. Sometimes you can feel them coming but sometimes they hit you out of nowhere!

There is loads of medication (if you want it, you don't have to go down that road) that helps anxiety but it only treats the symptoms, not the underlying problem.

Don't be nervous about going to the GP (easier said than done, I know!) because they are there to help you and will help you get the help you need :smile: (didn't mean to say 'help' that many times!)

I hope this has eased your worry and helped you in some way!
I'm sorry for all the rambling but I 100% understand how you feel and I just wanted to tell you want I know because I know it would of helped me.

Best of luck with everything xx

Quick Reply

Latest