The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

A Few Questions about Surrey Uni

Basically I have a few questions regarding the Uni, I've firmed an offer for 2014 entry.

The first one is about accommodation - I went to an open day back in September and I fell in love with Manor Park, close to the sports park and Tesco's, good facilities etc. However, I went to an applicant day yesterday for my subject and I walked the distance to look at the sports park again and it wasn't too far - I wouldn't mind running or walking to the gym. Now, before the open day I applied for my accomodation in the hopes I'd get Manor Park, however, I'm now slightly regretting my decision because I feel going for Band C might have been the better option (£30 a week cheaper, on-campus, close to everything). I'm not too fussed about an en-suite either - I put Band C as my second preference (Band D first), so if my application gets accepted could I choose my second preference choice or should I withdraw and start again? Also, would you recommend Band C over Band D? I'm sitting on the fence here as I wouldn't mind walking to the gym but at the same time I'd hate to walk back from a night out at 3am!

The second question is, funnily enough, about gyms! I'm a highly active person but I've got a pretty bad cruciate ligament injury which I did when I was 13. Until I've had surgery (scheduled for December) I can't really do many sports which do a lot of twisting like football, tennis, squash, basketball etc). I absolutely love the sports park facilities but I'm thinking the membership is fairly expensive when I'm only really going to be able to use a few of the facilities - I did some research and found that another gym, ironically called 'the Gym' is a short (shorter?) walk from the main campus and it's much cheaper - does anyone go there and would you recommend it? I know the dumbells only go up to 30kg which would be a little downside for certain exercises but doing more reps wouldn't hurt - especially if it was significantly cheaper.

Sorry to bore you with these questions, I'm just confused as to which accommodation and gym would suit me better haha!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by leggett9
Basically I have a few questions regarding the Uni, I've firmed an offer for 2014 entry.

The first one is about accommodation - I went to an open day back in September and I fell in love with Manor Park, close to the sports park and Tesco's, good facilities etc. However, I went to an applicant day yesterday for my subject and I walked the distance to look at the sports park again and it wasn't too far - I wouldn't mind running or walking to the gym. Now, before the open day I applied for my accomodation in the hopes I'd get Manor Park, however, I'm now slightly regretting my decision because I feel going for Band C might have been the better option (£30 a week cheaper, on-campus, close to everything). I'm not too fussed about an en-suite either - I put Band C as my second preference (Band D first), so if my application gets accepted could I choose my second preference choice or should I withdraw and start again? Also, would you recommend Band C over Band D? I'm sitting on the fence here as I wouldn't mind walking to the gym but at the same time I'd hate to walk back from a night out at 3am!

The second question is, funnily enough, about gyms! I'm a highly active person but I've got a pretty bad cruciate ligament injury which I did when I was 13. Until I've had surgery (scheduled for December) I can't really do many sports which do a lot of twisting like football, tennis, squash, basketball etc). I absolutely love the sports park facilities but I'm thinking the membership is fairly expensive when I'm only really going to be able to use a few of the facilities - I did some research and found that another gym, ironically called 'the Gym' is a short (shorter?) walk from the main campus and it's much cheaper - does anyone go there and would you recommend it? I know the dumbells only go up to 30kg which would be a little downside for certain exercises but doing more reps wouldn't hurt - especially if it was significantly cheaper.

Sorry to bore you with these questions, I'm just confused as to which accommodation and gym would suit me better haha!

The accommodation question is quite hard for anyone but you to answer really, it depends what you want from the room. For me, I personally would rather have the extra £30 a week in my pocket, and just walk the 5 seconds down the hallway to the toilet, rather than pay the extra for the on-suite. Obviously for others though, having the en-suite will be more important, and they'll be willing to pay the extra to have that.

The accommodation office will try and give you your first choice if possible, but if that's not available then they'll work their way through your list of preferences to find the next one they can offer you. However once you receive an offer from them you can't change it, it's either accept that room or none at all. It's a bit annoying, but it has to be that way otherwise they'd have everyone who didn't get the exact room they wanted phoning up and trying to change their rooms, which simply wouldn't be possible!

As for the gyms, are you sure that The Gym is actually cheaper? I've not checked the prices as I've always been happy with my sports park membership, but I'd be impressed if it's noticeably cheaper, especially considering what you get access to at the sports park!
It's £210 per year for a student membership, and for that you get full access to everything. The usual main gym (treadmills, free weights, machines, etc, etc), rock climbing wall, olympic sized pool, free court hire for many sports. It's also worth noting, that if you want to join any sports society, you have to have a sports park membership (it pays for your insurance, should anything go wrong).
As for the walk, I'd say the The Gym is probably as far as the sports park, maybe a little further actually, but it would depend which end of campus you're starting from.

Hope this helps! If you've got any more questions feel free to ask. :smile:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending