The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Queen's University, Belfast Postgrads 2014

So ... Any any postgrads coming this year?

I'll be coming from England in Sept for a PhD and it would be great to find out who else will be there :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am coming too. school of Biosciences. where will you be based at? and what PhD are you doing?
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
Hey I'll be in the school of medicine, doing it in public health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Still considering QUB or Leeds..... Advanced Food Safety
Reply 4
Original post by Glassglass
Hey I'll be in the school of medicine, doing it in public health.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,
Iv got an offer for public health as well.
Have you any idea about internships or job opportunities after the course?
Queens's is part of the Russel group of universities, so i guess it should be good in terms of career prospects.
One more univ i got into is Univ of sheffield.
lemme know if u have any info.

Thanks
Reply 5
Hey, is that for a masters or phd. Just finishing my masters at Sheffield now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hey, is that for a masters or phd. Just finishing my masters at Sheffield now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be for Masters...starting this september.
Reply 7
I don't know anything about QUB's masters programme. But the PH department is supposed to be excellent. If you have any questions about the Sheffield one just PM me and I'll try to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I don't know anything about QUB's masters programme. But the PH department is supposed to be excellent. If you have any questions about the Sheffield one just PM me and I'll try to help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you
PM sent :smile:
Reply 9
I'm moving in September from Birmingham to Belfast to study the MA in Arts Management - never been to Belfast in my life!

What is everyone else doing about accommodation? Where do postgrads normally stay? I was thinking somewhere between Queens and the city centre would be best?

I literally know nobody in Northern Ireland - I'm quite worried about living with complete strangers who aren't fun, however I don't want to live with undergrads - I know how annoying it can get.
Reply 10
Hi

I'm from Wolves! Belfast will be all new for me too although I am looking to go visit soon.

There's purpose build student accommodation called Willow Walk. It looks pretty good and well located, but is a bit pricey.

From what I read South Belfast is one of the better areas to live, around Stanmillis but not too close to the Botanical Gardens. Can't imagine near the city centre would be too bad either though. Although, you may want to consider where exactly your department is and how far you are willing to travel. Seems to be plenty of reasonably priced private accommodation around, but ideally you would want to check it out before hand as photos can be a bit dodgy.

I wouldn't worry about not knowing anyone, most people are gonna be in the same position. I think more and more people will be coming on here looking for potential houses shares as time goes on. Also, most accommodation offices have a sort of finding accommodation/housemates weekend for postgrads, may be worth contacting Queen's to see if they do one.

All in all, don't worry. And you know at least one person is a very similar position!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I will be joining QUB too in September 2014.

I am from India. Will be going there for Masters in Risk Management and Financial Regulation.

Can someone help me in estimating the monthly expenditure? I am going to stay in Willow Walk accommodation provided by the university. How much should it cost me approximately for food and living?

Please respond.
Reply 12
I'm kinda worried about racism there after finding a few recent news stories about racial abuse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, what have you heard? Can you pass on the link to that news if it is available online?
Hi!
I'll be starting my PhD in the Nursing & Midwifery department :smile: Does anybody know when accommodation offers for Willow Walk are being sent out?
Thanx!
Hi, you can apply for accommodation now. Link to the portal.

http://hos02.qub.ac.uk/apply/
Reply 16
I am a PhD student at Queens. (I did the MSc Risk Management before that!)

You are better off living around stranmillas or botanic - students don't really live near the city centre - it's pricey and some areas are a bit rubbish.
Original post by KyrstenCvW
Hi!
I'll be starting my PhD in the Nursing & Midwifery department :smile: Does anybody know when accommodation offers for Willow Walk are being sent out?
Thanx!

Hi I'm James, Starting a PhD in September and am staying in Willow Walk. I got an offer 2 days ago after tweeting them asking about it, if you have not heard back yet maybe try that?
Original post by Ruleofsix
Hi I'm James, Starting a PhD in September and am staying in Willow Walk. I got an offer 2 days ago after tweeting them asking about it, if you have not heard back yet maybe try that?

Hi, thanx! might have to try that! How long did u wait for an offer? I sent my application in 3 weeks ago, which feels like a long time!
I applied for a Master's programme in Human resource in June, up to now no decision, it's almost 8 weeks now. I just hope it'll be a positive outcome, because it will be extremely unfair for someone to wait for such a long time and get a regret. This is August and most Universities are not accepting any applications for 2014/15 academic year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending