The Student Room Group

Higher Human Biology 2014 Essay

Was just wondering what every thinks the 2014 higher human biology essays could possibly be about?

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Water cycle stuff like that, translation and transcription?
Reply 3
protein syntheses/dna rep
females at puberty
respiration
genetics pku and huntingdons
just guesses tho based on looking back old papers since 2004
I hate the essays so much. I've had zero marks a few times this year.
Reply 5
Original post by DizzyLizzy3
I hate the essays so much. I've had zero marks a few times this year.

A tip I would give is to mention each simple step or description or whatever. No matter how obvious you think it is, because often these little things are worth marks. Treat the marker like they have no knowledge of the subject and you are teaching them.

Eg. Enzymes essay. Always always write simple obvious things like 'enzyme is a biological catalyst' etc.

Hope that helps.

Also when talking about graphs and changes in graphs, describe the full change, eg. Concentration increased up to ..., then levelled until..., and then decreased again at..., until it was at it's original rate. Although these answers sound complicated and lengthy, they do gain marks.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rahgirl11
A tip I would give is to mention each simple step or description or whatever. No matter how obvious you think it is, because often these little things are worth marks. Treat the marker like they have no knowledge of the subject and you are teaching them.

Eg. Enzymes essay. Always always write simple obvious things like 'enzyme is a biological catalyst' etc.

Hope that helps.

Also when talking about graphs and changes in graphs, describe the full change, eg. Concentration increased up to ..., then levelled until..., and then decreased again at..., until it was at it's original rate. Although these answers sound complicated and lengthy, they do gain marks.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I will try a few more past papers. It has been struggle because of changing teachers throughout the year. I have 3 textbooks and I've been trying to improve.

I'm hoping the essay won't be on the heart or lymphatic system...
Reply 7
Original post by DizzyLizzy3
Thank you! I will try a few more past papers. It has been struggle because of changing teachers throughout the year. I have 3 textbooks and I've been trying to improve.

I'm hoping the essay won't be on the heart or lymphatic system...

My year has been pretty hectic too, hopefully it will all be ok. I'm sure you'll do fine! :smile: good luck tomorrow, I'm so stressed for this exam.

I hope so. I hate them unit 2 essays, they are too complicated. Ahh, hoping for nice easy essays. At least there is a choice in which question you have to answer. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
My year has been pretty hectic too, hopefully it will all be ok. I'm sure you'll do fine! :smile: good luck tomorrow, I'm so stressed for this exam.

I hope so. I hate them unit 2 essays, they are too complicated. Ahh, hoping for nice easy essays. At least there is a choice in which question you have to answer. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone is hoping for nice essays haha. Good luck to you too!:smile:
Reply 9
How did everyone find the essays?

I was happy this year there was actually some unit 3 questions but a fertility or puberty question would of been even better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Lanydoo
How did everyone find the essays?

I was happy this year there was actually some unit 3 questions but a fertility or puberty question would of been even better!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The essays were ok, I did 1B and 2B.

I was disappointed there were not any DNA questions. Also some of the multiple choice were a bit strange.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Freypops
The essays were ok, I did 1B and 2B.

I was disappointed there were not any DNA questions. Also some of the multiple choice were a bit strange.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For question 1A I believe it was DNA replication and part ii) was protein synthesis. I was going to attempt it but felt I could talk about 1B a bit more :/

And in MC there was some questions I had definitely seen before but the enzyme activator one kinda confused me!
Reply 12
Original post by Lanydoo
For question 1A I believe it was DNA replication and part ii) was protein synthesis. I was going to attempt it but felt I could talk about 1B a bit more :/

And in MC there was some questions I had definitely seen before but the enzyme activator one kinda confused me!

Oh yes, sorry I forgot that!

I think I said two..but it confused me. Also the last MC with the sewage in the river

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Freypops
Oh yes, sorry I forgot that!

I think I said two..but it confused me. Also the last MC with the sewage in the river

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that sewage one is from around 2003/2004/2005. If I can remember correctly between X and Y the bacteria increases and between Y and Z it gradually decreases - no idea if that was A, B, C or D!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by kieranrafferty1
Does anyone have a copy of the human bio exam paper or at least the multiple choice?

I've not seen anything anywhere. If you're really desperate they'll probably have it in your school/college whatever if you go in and see at some point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lanydoo

When I read over question one it seemed like just a protein synthesis question:

Events in the nucleus --transcription
Events at the ribosome --translation

Am I wrong? I'm a little confused :smile:

Thanks

Overall the paper was ok, could have been better but the questions were better than I was expecting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
When I read over question one it seemed like just a protein synthesis question:

Events in the nucleus --transcription
Events at the ribosome --translation

Am I wrong? I'm a little confused :smile:

Thanks

Overall the paper was ok, could have been better but the questions were better than I was expecting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

DNA replication happens in the nucleus as well! But I think you're probably right, it makes more sense if it was structured like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone else find the cross section of the actin and myosin question really confusing in what they were asking you?
Reply 18
Yeah, I ended up drawing a vertical line through it, where both actin and myosin are present

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too, but only because I couldn't work out what they wanted me to do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's the only reason I did it as well :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did that too haha , that question never made sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending