The Student Room Group

Vector questions?

Can you please check my vector answers, there are quite a few.. .thanks!

1a) Done.jpg I got (a+b)/2
b) Express TM in terms of a and b in it's simplest form. I got: -1/2a+b

2a) 2a.pngI got b-a
b) P is a point on AB such that AP : PB = 3 : 2
Show that OP = 1/5(2a+3b)

I said that OP = OA + AB which is a+3/5(b-a) which = 3/5b+2/5a which can be factorised to give 1/5(2a+3b)

3a) 3a.jpg I got b-a

b)P is a point on AB so that AP : PB = 2 : 1
Find vector OP in terms of a and b in it's simplest form.
I got a+2/3(b-a) which is 4/3b+1/3a which can be factorised to give 1/3(4b-a)

4a) 4a.jpgI got MB = 1/2a and MN = (a-c)/2

b) Show that CA is parallel to MN.
I did CA = a-c so it is a multiple of MN which means they are parallel.

5a) 5.jpgI got 2(a+b)

5b) 6.jpg I got 7a+6b

6a) 6a.jpg I got AC = p+q BD = q-p

b) 6b.jpgI got (p+q)/2

7a) 7a.jpg I got (a+b)/2

b) Express TM in terms of a and b in it's simplest form. I got (b-a)/2

8a) 8a.jpg I got 3b-2a.

b) P is a point on AB such that AP : PB is 2 : 3
Show that OP is parallel to the vector a+b.

I did OP = 6/5(a+b) and said that this is a multiple of a+b so they much be parallel.

Thanks so much :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qaiys

1a) Done.jpg I got (a+b)/2

2a) 2a.pngI got b-a

I said that OP = OA + AB which is a+3/5(b-a) which = 3/5b+2/5a which can be factorised to give 1/5(2a+3b)

3a) 3a.jpg I got b-a

4a) 4a.jpgI got MB = 1/2a and MN = (a-c)/2

5a) 5.jpgI got 2(a+b)

5b) 6.jpg I got 7a+6b

6a) 6a.jpg I got AC = p+q BD = q-p

b) 6b.jpgI got (p+q)/2

7a) 7a.jpg I got (a+b)/2

8a) 8a.jpg I got 3b-2a.

I did OP = 6/5(a+b) and said that this is a multiple of a+b so they much be parallel.

First three look o,k except in question 2 where you have written OP=OA+AB !!
Reply 2
Original post by brianeverit
First three look o,k except in question 2 where you have written OP=OA+AB !!

Oh yeahhh didn't mean to :/ ahaa thanks! Are the others okay?
Original post by Qaiys
Oh yeahhh didn't mean to :/ ahaa thanks! Are the others okay?

Sorry. I am not your teacher and I don't have time to look at them all.
Reply 4
Note: When I say "correct" I mean that I also get the same answer,

1) a) yes
b) make sure you use the brackets! as 12a+b12(a+b) \frac{-1}{2}a+b \not= \frac{-1}{2}(a+b)

2) correct. (except for the mistake that brianeverit pointed out.)

3)a) correct
b)

Where did 4/3b come from?

4a)b)

5a) correct
Original post by Qaiys

5b) 6.jpg I got 7a+6b

I got 7a + 8b.
I would be interested to see your working out in case I have made a mistake myself.

The rest are also correct.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Qaiys

1a) I got (a+b)/2

2a) I got b-a

3a) I got b-a

4a) I got MB = 1/2a and MN = (a-c)/2

5a) I got 2(a+b)

5b) I got 7a+6b

6a) I got AC = p+q BD = q-p

b) I got (p+q)/2

7a) I got (a+b)/2

8a) I got 3b-2a.

Extremely late:P But for question 5b, which direction is the arrow pointing, from Z to X or X to Z? I've got the length but idk if it should be positive or negative
Reply 6
Original post by 2x59
Extremely late:P But for question 5b, which direction is the arrow pointing, from Z to X or X to Z? I've got the length but idk if it should be positive or negative

Hahaa just a bit late! I don't ever need to look at vectors again, I've finished GCSE maths!😂 hahaa and which arrow do you mean?
Reply 7
Original post by Qaiys
Hahaa just a bit late! I don't ever need to look at vectors again, I've finished GCSE maths!😂 hahaa and which arrow do you mean?

I saw that we done the same questions and got excited but then I saw 2014😭 and you're so lucky :frown:( I phrased it confusingly but for the whole line "ZX" which direction would the small vector arrow be pointing ? Because when I go along the route I have the number but the arrow tells you if it's positive or negative (hopefully that makes more sense)
Reply 8
Original post by 2x59
I saw that we done the same questions and got excited but then I saw 2014😭 and you're so lucky :frown:( I phrased it confusingly but for the whole line "ZX" which direction would the small vector arrow be pointing ? Because when I go along the route I have the number but the arrow tells you if it's positive or negative (hopefully that makes more sense)

5b is about O to Z? I'm confused D; hahaa and I know riiiight! Although I'm doing AS maths now hahaa
Reply 9
Original post by 2x59
I attached a photo bc im struggling to explain oops but i did the red arrow facing in that direction to get from O to Z and got a bigger positive answer but when i did it the other way round i got your answer but how did you know which way round to have the arrow pointing? Bc that decides if the 3/5(3a+3b) i worked out is positive or negative (hopefully makes more sense) and maths is solid! How are you finding it and what did you get for your gcse if you dont mind me asking?

I think I went from O to Y (4a+3b) then 3a+3b for Y to Z to get 7a+6b, so I just assumed the arrow would be that direction.... does that make sense? D: hahaha and I know it's pretty vile hahaa I got an A*, and AS isn't actually too bad, it was a bit hard at first but once you get used to the level of working, it becomes a lot easier :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by 2x59
I get it now thank you!! And wow that's really good , well done!:biggrin: A2 looked even worse when I was looking at possible A-levels

Okaaay good :P and thanks hahaa, what you hoping for? And hahaa ikr, what a-levels you thinking?
Original post by Qaiys
Hahaa just a bit late! I don't ever need to look at vectors again, I've finished GCSE maths!������ hahaa and which arrow do you mean?

you'll be doing vectors in C4 if u do a level maths:') hate to destroy your happiness

btw are u arab? qaiys is an awesome name lol
Reply 12
Original post by yasmin#2
you'll be doing vectors in C4 if u do a level maths:') hate to destroy your happiness

btw are u arab? qaiys is an awesome name lol

Hahaa I was thinking that just after I posted it XD XD oh well, I actually don't mind vectors that much most of the time... :P and yeahhh hahaa I am, take it you are too 'Yasmin'?:P And thanks! I don't like it that much, like I don't know any other Arabs called Qaiys D; hahaa

Original post by 2x59
gcse maths isn't too bad (would never take a level tho), working at an A but hopefully I can get an a* by June and I'm going to be doing chemistry, biology, english lit and psychology aha, what else are you taking ?

Yeah you'll be fine, I'm sure you'll get A*! :smile: and ohh okay awesome, I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Maths :biggrin:! And I've got loads of friends that do psychology hahaa
Original post by Qaiys
Hahaa I was thinking that just after I posted it XD XD oh well, I actually don't mind vectors that much most of the time... :P and yeahhh hahaa I am, take it you are too 'Yasmin'?:P And thanks! I don't like it that much, like I don't know any other Arabs called Qaiys D; hahaa

Yeah you'll be fine, I'm sure you'll get A*! :smile: and ohh okay awesome, I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Maths :biggrin:! And I've got loads of friends that do psychology hahaa

I hate it, thats the reason why im not doing maths to A2 (and also because of M1 of course -ew) I am indeed, libyan wby? :smile: qaiys and ziad are probably the best arab boy names imo :biggrin:
Reply 14
I hate it, thats the reason why im not doing maths to A2 (and also because of M1 of course -ew) I am indeed, libyan wby? :smile: qaiys and ziad are probably the best arab boy names imo :biggrin:

Oh no D; I'd rather die than do M1 hahaha, think we're doing D1 next year? D: Not sure, don't even wanna know hahaa. And awww thanks ;PP I have 2 cousins called Zaid XD and I'm Palestinian :biggrin:DD
Original post by Qaiys
Oh no D; I'd rather die than do M1 hahaha, think we're doing D1 next year? D: Not sure, don't even wanna know hahaa. And awww thanks ;PP I have 2 cousins called Zaid XD and I'm Palestinian :biggrin:DD

D1 ohmyy, the further maths lot at my sixth form are doing that this year - doesnt even look like maths - my friend (A* student in every way) got a U in her D1 mock but inshallah youll do well, probably just had a bad day :tongue: M1 is like physics ew, & palesssstine <3 mohammed zeyara is my idol mA <3
Reply 16
D1 ohmyy, the further maths lot at my sixth form are doing that this year - doesnt even look like maths - my friend (A* student in every way) got a U in her D1 mock but inshallah youll do well, probably just had a bad day :tongue: M1 is like physics ew, & palesssstine <3 mohammed zeyara is my idol mA <3

Omg that's horrifying hahaha wth!! XD yeah inshallah it'll all be fine D; hahaha and yeah exactly, I hate physics D; what other subjects you do?
Original post by Qaiys
Omg that's horrifying hahaha wth!! XD yeah inshallah it'll all be fine D; hahaha and yeah exactly, I hate physics D; what other subjects you do?

biology chemistry french and arabic (i dont recommend doing 5, i only have 3 frees a week & cant go home early on any day) and because i do french i have a timetabled after school lesson -_- but i love it so its kinda worth it, what about you? and what are u planning on doing at uni? i wanna do dentistry but it so competitive ugh
Reply 18
biology chemistry french and arabic (i dont recommend doing 5, i only have 3 frees a week & cant go home early on any day) and because i do french i have a timetabled after school lesson -_- but i love it so its kinda worth it, what about you? and what are u planning on doing at uni? i wanna do dentistry but it so competitive ugh

Ahhh okay that's so awesome!! Both my brothers that did their A-levels in England did Arabic, and at GCSE XD did u do GCSE? And I really wanted to do French :frown: but picked English Lit instead, then chemistry, maths and biology. Yeah I feel your pain I wanna do medicine and that's even worse D; hahaa
Reply 19

Although your timetable sounds awful ;c but I'd rather have fewer frees tbh, but all the rest you can keep :P

Quick Reply

Latest