The Student Room Group

IGCSE Physics june 2014 thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by midgemeister7
Hopefully quite low, but probably not as low as Jan 2012 when an A* was 119 overall! Although you never know...

Jan 2012 was actually fairly easy. I used it as a past paper yesterday, id say 125
It all depends on the next paper. Also we haven't had a 5 mark graph question yet so that will probably come up in the next paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So many wordy questions, don't think I got any completely wrong but not sure my answers were as pedantic as the mark scheme requires!
Original post by TheNervousWreck
So many wordy questions, don't think I got any completely wrong but not sure my answers were as pedantic as the mark scheme requires!

That's exactly my problem - I answered all of them, just not sure how correctly!

Original post by WASG
Jan 2012 was actually fairly easy. I used it as a past paper yesterday, id say 125
It all depends on the next paper. Also we haven't had a 5 mark graph question yet so that will probably come up in the next paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully, I like those big graph questions. Physics is so difficult to work out rough grade boundaries - an A* one year is a B the next... considering it was a comparatively tricky paper I am inclined to agree though.
Any of you guys got History tomorrow?:redface:
Reply 44
So how do you work out terminal velocity in the glass tube?
I just wrote down some formulas and explained some stuff about equipment and observing the ball. They always give marks for formulas

Posted from TSR Mobile
The last page. I couldn't understand the question. :P
Original post by TheNervousWreck
Any of you guys got History tomorrow?:redface:

Yeah I do, revising now. I'm doing sections 2,3 and 4 - how about you?
Yeah I do, revising now. I'm doing sections 2,3 and 4 - how about you?

I am doing OCR B, And in that I'm doing International Relations (dull) and Germany Depth study (less dull)

However, Im really struggling to bring myself to revise, 6 exams in 3 days has taken it out of me! :Help:
Original post by WASG
So how do you work out terminal velocity in the glass tube?
I just wrote down some formulas and explained some stuff about equipment and observing the ball. They always give marks for formulas

Posted from TSR Mobile

surface area and drag and resistance calculate the mass using different balls from the same height to improve accuracy
Holy **** that was hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
For the terminal velocity question I talks about using a speed gun to measure the speed at one secon intervals and measure the change in velocity between the intervals and the time take. Do you think this will get any marks or is it just completely wrong?
also what did you guys put for the safety precaution on the experiment based question and the one after that when it said how could he improve it.
Original post by sophiamarni
surface area and drag and resistance calculate the mass using different balls from the same height to improve accuracy

In what way does surface area/drag relate to this question?

Original post by zakimak
For the terminal velocity question I talks about using a speed gun to measure the speed at one secon intervals and measure the change in velocity between the intervals and the time take. Do you think this will get any marks or is it just completely wrong?
also what did you guys put for the safety precaution on the experiment based question and the one after that when it said how could he improve it.

EDITED to remove info
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zakimak

i have no idea because on another thread someone gave a really good answer and i think i did mine wrong i think it depends on the person
I wrote measure the distance of the glass tube then mass of the ball . find the time it takes for the ball to reach at the bottom by using a stopwatch. then i wrote analyse your results on a graph and find if its reach terminal velocity. also calc the speed of the ball and gave formula. :/
How much can i get out of 5?
Original post by sophiamarni
i have no idea because on another thread someone gave a really good answer and i think i did mine wrong i think it depends on the person

**** I said use light gates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usmanzubair
I wrote measure the distance of the glass tube then mass of the ball . find the time it takes for the ball to reach at the bottom by using a stopwatch. then i wrote analyse your results on a graph and find if its reach terminal velocity. also calc the speed of the ball and gave formula. :/
How much can i get out of 5?

compared to my answer 5

Similar to what I got. I said record time taken using stopwatch at regular intervals along the tube. Then use formula speed = disatnce/time to work out speed at each interval. If two consecutive values for speed are the same, it wall have reached terminal velocity.

This is what i wrote having spent about 15 mins on this question, although i said plot it on a V/T graph and look for straight line!

What did you get for the orbit question, convinced I got it all wrong!

Similar to what I got. I said record time taken using stopwatch at regular intervals along the tube. Then use formula speed = disatnce/time to work out speed at each interval. If two consecutive values for speed are the same, it wall have reached terminal velocity.

i dont know but i did an experiment similar to that and it was about drag :frown:(((
Oh i so wish you be the examiner! :'D @sophiamarni
Reply 59
Guys! Don't talk about it! Your giving other people who haven't taken it yet am advantage

Quick Reply

Latest