The Student Room Group

I can't revise to save my life. HELP ME!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by benwalters1996
for RE get the revision guide- it saved my life :smile:

Which revision guide? Purple one...? x'D Thanks, I'll be sure to get it.
Buy the GCSE revision guides for your exam board (the one your school does).
Original post by toffienator3000
Well I am doing A-levels since i did my gcse's two years ago so for me I do exam questions and read my textbook off my heart, but at around year 9-year 11 I recommend you make notes in like bullet point format so that its easy for you to understand and read (as compared to a huge bunch of paragraphs) and what worked wonders for me back then was i would make flashcard notes and stick them all across my room so whenever I was doing something i would read the notes up.

Right, thanks. Right away. Well, wait... What if you still struggle to remember information afterwards. Because somethings like numbers and formulas are waaaay too hard for me to pick up quick.
Original post by Old_Simon
Buy the GCSE revision guides for your exam board (the one your school does).

Still no use. I literally have two copies of each revision guide (accidentally brought two of each x'D) I don't find them useful despite re-reading them for as long as I could.
Original post by Megan_90
hi there, I feel like that sometimes but all you have to do Is concentrate... what i did to over come it was just keep my mobile phones away switch it off.. have a possitve mind say that you can do it.. DON'T PANIC! RELAX... and concentrate on what u r doing. I have exams too... be confident.. good luck! :biggrin:

Thanks, good luck to you too ^-^

I certainly will.
Original post by GlassKingfisher
Right, thanks. Right away. Well, wait... What if you still struggle to remember information afterwards. Because somethings like numbers and formulas are waaaay too hard for me to pick up quick.

I suggest that you get a really small notepad and put all the super important formulas inside of this notepad, then when you are say on the bus or doing something you can look at the pages of notes and you can remind yourself, over time the notes will become instinctive.
Original post by toffienator3000
I suggest that you get a really small notepad and put all the super important formulas inside of this notepad, then when you are say on the bus or doing something you can look at the pages of notes and you can remind yourself, over time the notes will become instinctive.

Thanks, You've been great help ^-^

I shall go and stop wasting time everywhere... I will REVISE RIGHT NOW. See yers later ^-^ Buh-bye. Thanks so very berry very berry much!
Reply 27
Doing old exam papers is useful, if you will be able to find old SATs papers really easily on the internet. You should be able to find mark schemes too.
I'm not understanding Ratio... Or the leaf and Stem thingy... O.o Aww it's so BLOODY frustrating!
x'D I've tried a few SAT's papers but I'm still stuck on like... level 6-8 work.

I find the best way to revise is first to understand what you are actually trying to revise, because re-reading text over and over and over hoping for it to stick will not happen. Like what is a ratio? What is a stem and leaf diagram? What information does this give me?

After that apply that knowledge and understanding to something. A question most likely. Look online or in your text book for questions. Do them check your answers and see if you're right, if you went wrong where did you go wrong? After you identify that, keep that as a key point in your mind and try again. Keeping doing the questions until you fully understand, getting the questions correct 90% of the time. After that it's just a case of remembering.

In which case for that as everyone else said, mind-maps, concise notes (Try and write notes in your own words, you're more likely to remember things you worded yourself as opposed to a teacher, but if you can't word it on the fly as the teacher is talking write down the teachers notes), an important thing to do is ask the teacher questions when you don't understand it will help intensely. I also find when you're idle not really doing anything, like for instance walking to school or sitting on a bus, just think of something from school, see if you still remember it, I find that helps quite a bit actually.

Another thing you could do is get a group of friends together to study if at all possible. Obviously this group of friends has to be concentrated on the task at hand a lot, rather than potentially goofing around. Although goofing around making jokes can sometimes offer a great way of remembering something, for instance a joke on some type of mathematical problem or method, or just any joke on any subject.

Well there is a massive dump of suggestions for you. Hope they help in some way.
Reply 29

well..it depends on what exam board you are doing, if you are doing AQA GCSE SCIENCE the CGP revision books are helpful.. or the actual version of the text book itself (AQA ADITIONAL SCIENCE BY NELSON THORNES) they are also helpful too.. you can look at revision websites..

the CGP PHYSICS REVION BOOKS ARE PURPLE
CHEMISTRY = RED
BIOLOGY = GREEN
google it: here is a link take a look this is how the physics book looks like; http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Additional-Science-Revision-Guide/dp/1841467340
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm not understanding Ratio... Or the leaf and Stem thingy... O.o Aww it's so BLOODY frustrating!
x'D I've tried a few SAT's papers but I'm still stuck on like... level 6-8 work.

What do you not understand about ratio? :smile:

Are you on OCR?
Reply 33
I need help with an EXTRAORDINARY technique or some sort of flipping way to revise. I just can't stay revising/reading over the same stuff for longer than two minutes... Or possibly even less.. O.O I don't remember. I have exams in 3 days and all I've done is... Try but end up failing.

:frown:

HELP ME!

For future, if you find it difficult to revise for long periods of time just start way before the exams, do a 2-4 pages a day and them go over them in your head throughout the day whenever you get the chance. This is what I do and it works well for me. When doing past papers or questions i tend to be able to work for longer as I'm not taking in any new Infomation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
well,it depends what type of person you are some people tend to make notes and when doing so learn at the same time,others may watch videos on certain topics, and some people tend to move around, explain topics to themselves.the main thing is to stay relaxed and not to stress out,keep on eating,sleeping and drinking because this plays a vital role when revisng.make sure you evenly spread out your revision,constantly take breaks but not too many otherwise you wont be in learning mode and most definately dont cram a bundle of information last minute because its really not worth it,nothing will enter that brain of yours
Reply 35
Cry.

Quick Reply

Latest