The Student Room Group

Should I change instructors ?

Today I failed my first driving test today with 5 Major faults and 8 minor faults, have done 30 hours with my instructor. Is this a sign that I should consider changing instructors? He also is very aggressive, he keeps telling me he can't teach me anything else because it's all mental and that I need to do what I learnt?

Serious Faults - 1. Observation left-hand reserve ( I was waiting for vehicles 1/2 mile away but the road was 60) 2. Change in speed 3. Signal ( was in the middle lane last min he said RIGHT here, so drifted but forgot my signal due to the panic) 4. Undue hesitation ( Missed a gap going into busy main road, there was no box in the middle to wait when turning right. I need covered this in road or situation with my instructor) 5. Too close to a parked car mirror when moving in to stop (this was right after a busy mini roundabout, he said pullover on the left but i didnt hit the mirror.

Also 7/8 minors where for progress
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
It depends. Are you attempting to blame your failure on your instructor? Why did you fail your test?

IMHO, I understand people who fail the test due to nerves. However, I don't think nerves warrant 5 majors (with the 8 minors too!). Probably a bit irresponsible on your instructors part to put you in for a test that you're not ready for.

Absolutely, your instructor should not be aggressive with you. That's unprofessional and counter productive.
Reply 2
Original post by H0ls
It depends. Are you attempting to blame your failure on your instructor? Why did you fail your test?

IMHO, I understand people who fail the test due to nerves. However, I don't think nerves warrant 5 majors (with the 8 minors too!). Probably a bit irresponsible on your instructors part to put you in for a test that you're not ready for.

Absolutely, your instructor should not be aggressive with you. That's unprofessional and counter productive.

Serious Faults - 1. Observation left-hand reserve ( I was waiting for vehicles 1/2 mile away but the road was 60) 2. Change in speed 3. Signal ( was in the middle lane last min he said RIGHT here, so drifted but forgot my signal due to the panic) 4. Undue hesitation ( Missed a gap going into busy main road, there was no box in the middle to wait when turning right. I need covered this in road or situation with my instructor) 5. Too close to a parked car mirror when moving in to stop (this was right after a busy mini roundabout, he said pullover on the left but i didnt hit the mirror.

Also 7/8 minors where for progress, also it worth mentioning that my instructor is one of private
Reply 3
If he's aggressive then change instructors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Naher007
Today I failed my first driving test today with 5 Major faults and 8 minor faults, have done 30 hours with my instructor. Is this a sign that I should consider changing instructors? He also is very aggressive, he keeps telling me he can't teach me anything else because it's all mental and that I need to do what I learnt?

Also 7/8 minors where for progress

Remember this : You are paying. Fire the guy. (a) because he produced a hopeless driver (b) he sounds a bully. Good luck next time ! :wink:
Reply 5
Like the prior people have said, changing instructors. You're in charge, and make sure your money is going to the right place!
Reply 6
Yeah... Perhaps changing your instructor might help!

If it's any consolation, I just failed, FOR DRIVING TOO SLOWLY! It's so infuriating... -.-

Ah well, it's basically tradition to fail first time. :smile:
Change instructor.

Quick Reply

Latest