The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

2014 Applicants - Accommodation

Where is everybody applying for accommodation?

I'm really stuck between Pentre Jane Morgan, Cwrt Mawr and Rosser... I don't know I don't know.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are some good videos about Aberystwyth from a student's point of view over at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCGIuMCfjQBF_XGeLkK6Auw

It's 3+ years old, but the accommodation tours show with fair accuracy how it looks like at the moment.

There are also a number of resources on the Aberystwyth website for accomodation, including their most up-to-date leaflet on accomodation options: see https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/departmental/accommodation/pdfs/18353-accommodation-at-aber-eng-web.pdf

There are a lot of pdfs available at https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/departmental/accommodation/pdfs/ - but because it's not meant to be viewed directly, you'll need to fish through it.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by Geena-
Where is everybody applying for accommodation?
I'm really stuck between Pentre Jane Morgan, Cwrt Mawr and Rosser... I don't know I don't know.

The accommodation blocks that you mention are vastly different to each other and will will get totally different experiences living in each one. Pentre Jane Morgan (aka PJM) will give residents an actual house to live in and will therefore give a 'family house' feel with a upstairs and downstairs. Cwrt Mawr is made up of blocks of flats housing between eight to ten bedrooms in each with shared toilets and shower rooms in each flat, some blocks are very newly refurbished, others are not. Rosser gives the residents an en-suite bedroom in a flat of between six to eight bedrooms.
Original post by ChrisTMH
There are some good videos about Aberystwyth from a student's point of view over at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCGIuMCfjQBF_XGeLkK6Auw

It's 3+ years old, but the accommodation tours show with fair accuracy how it looks like at the moment.

There are also a number of resources on the Aberystwyth website for accomodation, including their most up-to-date leaflet on accomodation options: see https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/departmental/accommodation/pdfs/18353-accommodation-at-aber-eng-web.pdf

There are a lot of pdfs available at https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/departmental/accommodation/pdfs/ - but because it's not meant to be viewed directly, you'll need to fish through it.

The accommodation halls video tours are in the process of being remade and should be completed in the near future. Keep a eye out for the updated video tours! :smile:
Reply 3
I've had a look at the videos but I know that a lot of time they show only the best. Where did you guys stay and how did you like it?
Original post by Geena-
I've had a look at the videos but I know that a lot of time they show only the best. Where did you guys stay and how did you like it?

I lived in one of the Cwrt Mawr flats and was super lucky that my block (block D) had only been refurbished that same summer. I lived with nine other people from all across the UK and had an absolute blast. If we could have all stayed in the flat this year we definitely would have, which I think is a massive compliment to the flat and accommodation staff.

Please remember that you cannot apply for specific halls, you can only apply for the room type. So for example you can apply for a catered twin room or a self catered en suite room and not a room in PJM or Alexandra Halls on the seafront.
Reply 5
Original post by The Optimistic Ram
I lived in one of the Cwrt Mawr flats and was super lucky that my block (block D) had only been refurbished that same summer. I lived with nine other people from all across the UK and had an absolute blast. If we could have all stayed in the flat this year we definitely would have, which I think is a massive compliment to the flat and accommodation staff.

Please remember that you cannot apply for specific halls, you can only apply for the room type. So for example you can apply for a catered twin room or a self catered en suite room and not a room in PJM or Alexandra Halls on the seafront.

I had heard that this is changing this year, as had my dad but I can't give a source...so if you put down self catered and got one slightly out of your budget, you're stumped?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChrisTMH
I had heard that this is changing this year, as had my dad but I can't give a source...so if you put down self catered and got one slightly out of your budget, you're stumped?

I'm just going off previous years and what I've heard regarding this year myself however I could be wrong. The best person for this is our friend James.

Regards to accommodation being out of your budget, Brynderw is the designated 'budget' halls at just under £650 cheaper than the next cheapest single room, with the £400 accommodation bursary added on top the rent would be just under £2600 for the year. If you put down budget single as your preferred choice, then I'd say that you'd 9/10 get it. I obviously cannot guarantee that as I don't work in the accommodations office but I'd assume it'd be highlighted that the number one choice was the budget option.

Original post by Aber_James
James, can you confirm this years accommodation application process. Is it like previous years or is it changing this year?
Hi all,

Choosing the right Hall of Residence is one of the biggest headaches for potential students. The good thing is that at Aberystwyth you're guaranteed your 1st year halls as long as you make us firm and apply for the accommodation before the deadline etc (there are a few T&Cs you may need to check out on the website).

If I were you I would check out the following resources for accommodation:
Brochure: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/departmental/accommodation/pdfs/18353-accommodation-at-aber-eng-web.pdf

But I would also say that if you are able to I would come on an Open Day or Applicant Visiting Day and have a look at them...

I hope that is a good start for your research :smile:

James :smile:
Original post by Geena-

Hi Geena :smile: I was about when we made those videos and believe me they are not the best - we literally grabbed a few of the AberInsider bloggers one week and blasted through their accommodation :P haha! They're a pretty accurate representation of your halls. These will hopefully be updated in the up and coming weeks - I'll let you know when they're live :smile:

I lived in Penbryn in first year. (They have been refurbished since I lived in them) I chose them as I wanted catered accommodation. Although they aren't ensuite they were incredible for introducing me to my life long uni friends! I lived with 20 people on my floor and there was 4 floors in my block... I just loved the community feel of the place. It was a struggle getting around campus cause I knew so many people and had to stop all the time to say hello hehe :smile:

I'm just going off previous years and what I've heard regarding this year myself however I could be wrong. The best person for this is our friend James

I'm afraid I'm not the best person to talk to - I can give a rough "guesstimate" but as I wouldn't want to give inaccurate information I suggest you speak to the Accommodation Office:
Phone: 01970 622984
Email: [email protected]

Cheers,
Reply 9
Yeah alright, we know how it has been in the past; I will wait and see, though we had heard at the visiting day that it was being changed as someone had asked. I personally hope to be able to do a break down on accomodation when I get to Aber, in detail, in digital, but it would take time, time which I may not have at Aber from what I've heard xD
They told me on applicants day that the process has now changed and that you can now specify particular halls. This is verified by that accommodation application sheets that I've seen. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you thoughts on the new accommodation on Penglais Farm? Is there any point in a fresher applying for them, if we can apply for them that is... Also the fact that they're supposedly Welsh-speaking (I don't speak Welsh).
Reply 12
Original post by southend1112
What are you thoughts on the new accommodation on Penglais Farm? Is there any point in a fresher applying for them, if we can apply for them that is... Also the fact that they're supposedly Welsh-speaking (I don't speak Welsh).

I just assumed that we were able to apply for the new accommodation, but I'm worried that there won't be many freshers applying for it, even though it looks really nice! Where are most people applying to?:smile:
Original post by camille_
I just assumed that we were able to apply for the new accommodation, but I'm worried that there won't be many freshers applying for it, even though it looks really nice! Where are most people applying to?:smile:

I thought the same, but there isn't much information about it! I think I'll probably apply for Rosser or Penglais Farm, due to the en-suite facility! Yourself?

The new Penglais Farm is definitely not just for Welsh speakers. Aber have specified a certain amount of Penglais Farm for Welsh speakers as they are wanting to close down Pantycelyn which is the Welsh speakers residence. Penglais Farm is a massive development and is for English and Welsh speakers.

My own thoughts on the development is that it is a little too far from the Penglais Campus and that it is rather expensive when compared to the other halls. I cannot comment on the flat design, layout or site layout as I haven't physically visited them.

I thought the same, but there isn't much information about it! I think I'll probably apply for Rosser or Penglais Farm, due to the en-suite facility! Yourself?

I wouldn't be too fussed on a en-suite room, they are a lot more expensive than shared bathroom rooms and you wont have a en-suite in further years so would only have it for a year. Is it worth an additional circa £20 a week? My opinion is that it isn't.

I wouldn't be too fussed on a en-suite room, they are a lot more expensive than shared bathroom rooms and you wont have a en-suite in further years so would only have it for a year. Is it worth an additional circa £20 a week? My opinion is that it isn't.

Whilst from that perspective, an en-suite isn't worth it, but then I feel that it'll add that little bit of comfort? Especially when around totally new people on the other side of the country! But yeah, I guess it's a point to look into, thanks!
Reply 16
I'm really hoping I get cwrt mawr!
I'm thinking seafront personally. I really want town accommodation but ensuite, so the seafront is perfect. I got a merit award, so I decided I will treat myself to ensuite. :smile: I bet loads of people don't want the risk of seafront, but hey, I like living dangerously!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
ooooooh! the sea front is so far away from where my lectures will be so it's not practical as i'm lazzzy! cwrt mawr is in the middle of everything for me. i'm not too fussed for en suite if im honest, i wanna save as much money as possible, im not entitled to much in terms of student finance haha

Hi Southend1112,

Penglais Farm looks like it's going to be amazing! Check out the animated video: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/university/future/residence-project/

You are very welcome to apply for Penglais Farm and like RAM says only a proportion is designated for Welsh speaking halls due to the current Welsh halls being closed. :smile:

Whilst from that perspective, an en-suite isn't worth it, but then I feel that it'll add that little bit of comfort? Especially when around totally new people on the other side of the country! But yeah, I guess it's a point to look into, thanks!

I would agree with you on this. :smile: It's good to keep your options open.

Original post by Cynical_Smile01
I'm thinking seafront personally. I really want town accommodation but ensuite, so the seafront is perfect. I got a merit award, so I decided I will treat myself to ensuite. :smile: I bet loads of people don't want the risk of seafront, but hey, I like living dangerously!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the seafront is a fantastic place!

And honestly it isn't THAT dangerous haha... the storms we had were pretty unprecedented - the likes hadn't been seen since the 1930s so I wouldn't overly worry... It did get a ton of media coverage so I'm not surprised people are worried. Believe me, the seafront looked AMAZING this morning :smile:

If you like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter you'll see loads of pictures which shows how beautiful it is hehe :smile:

Cheers,

Quick Reply

Latest