The Student Room Group

Do you regret not telling a girl/boy you liked them?

I'm in year 13 and there's this girl I've liked for quite a while now, school is coming to an end so I feel that I should tell her how I feel about her but I know that it would be useless as everyone will be going separate ways in a couple of months. The question is... thread title.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done -- Lucille Ball

Yes - trust me, even if it doesn't work out at least you know you've tried. Better than letting someone get away and know that you could've done more, and you'll never know now.
I regret telling someone I like them but at least I went for it.
Reply 4
Original post by Lamptastic

Yep same.

She may feel the same way OP, you'll never know unless you tell her.
I do regret not telling someone. I liked a male friend since we met aged 13. I always denied that I saw him that way as I was afraid of losing him as a friend. Now we've lost touch I wonder why I didn't take the rest. Our situation stagnated. Even if he didn't see me that way I wish that I had tried. There was no chance for it to develop at all as never asked.
Reply 6
I ruined a friendship by telling her I liked her more than a friend.

I regret telling her. But it's a risk you have to take, life is tough.
Reply 7
No regrets, he felt the same way and now we're together :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by UWS

I really believe it is far better to lose a "friend" than to keep things bottled up. What use is a "friend" in those circumstances. ?
Reply 9
Original post by UWS

Original post by Anonymous
I'm in year 13 and there's this girl I've liked for quite a while now, school is coming to an end so I feel that I should tell her how I feel about her but I know that it would be useless as everyone will be going separate ways in a couple of months. The question is... thread title.

I was in a similar situation to this, but i'm the girl that broke contact because i couldn't face the fact that my friend liked me. Yours is probably different to the situation i was, but trust me OP if it does ruin your relationship, i actually regret being such an arrogant snob about it rather than being flattered or given the relationship a try. P.S We are now on even friendship terms. Not as close as before but that's a good thing.
Reply 10
No regrets whatsoever :biggrin:
And now we are very happy :h:

Original post by Softy31
:love:
Reply 11
Original post by ninuzu
No regrets whatsoever :biggrin:
And now we are very happy :h:

Zero regrets! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
We are most happy indeed - in fact I'm happier than I've ever been really. :jumphug:
Reply 12
Yes and no :smile: I'm somewhat sad I didn't tell him because he might have said yes, but at the same time it would have ended up being long distance, who knows if that would have worked out. I'm going to get a second chance next year as we'll both be in the same city. Fingers crossed! :smile:
I had a couple of guy friends who never told me (until years later, after they'd got over it) that they really fancied me. I liked both of them and if they had told me, I'd probably have given them a chance. Neither of them had the guts to ask me so both of them missed out.

If you really like the girl then you have nothing to lose in telling her. If she says yes, then there's always a chance that you can stay in touch and if she says no, then you have the rest of your life to find someone else.

Good luck :smile:
I regret not telling my guy friend I liked him. 4 years later we are really close and I still can't thinking about him as more than a friend. He always goes out of his way for me and has helped me through so much. He is really an amazing person but I've accepted that we will always probably be friends.
Go for it!
Original post by Lamptastic

Same. It was via facebook as well... And she no longer is in contact with me *sigh*

(I actually knew the girl. I told her I liked her over fb... )

(I basically wrote a mini essay :colondollar: )
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Softy31
Zero regrets! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
We are most happy indeed - in fact I'm happier than I've ever been really. :jumphug:

There's nothing at all bad to say at all! :jumphug:
Original post by de_monies
Same. It was via facebook as well... And she no longer is in contact with me *sigh*

(I actually knew the girl. I told her I liked her over fb... )

(I basically wrote a mini essay :colondollar: )

Were you good friends with her?
I'm gunna say I actually regret telling the two people I did tell, more than the others I didn't tell.

The thing is, how long have you known them? If something romantic was going to happen, chances are it would have happened. If it hasn't happened by now, then again there's likely a reason it hasn't happened; humans have a habit of creating this imaginary world that removes logic from the equation.

I'm not saying don't make a move. Change your behaviour to indicate your interested, sure that's fine. But flat out saying 'I like you' with no prior indication nearly always leads to an awkward encounter for both parties. Plus, I also believe it's kinda rude. You put so much pressure and expectations on the other person without ever contemplating how they feel. Imagine if someone you really, really didn't fancy told you they flat out liked you, do you think that's actually fair on you? It isn't; you have to moderate your own behaviour and your own reaction to suit them, simply because they couldn't contain their feelings.

I know I'm likely in the minority, but I've just seen way too many awkward incidents occur to honestly believe that being blunt in this matter is nearly always bad.

Hollywood should really stop romanticizing stuff. ¬_¬

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending