The Student Room Group

What were you most worried about before starting uni (and how did it turn out)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was very worried about making new friends because I was quite shy. However when I started university I became a member of the pharmacy society and became a social and class representative. This meant I met a lot of people from different year groups and went out on nights out and also discussed matters on behalf of my year group to the teachers. It boosted my confidence and I now have many close friends. I am happy.
Reply 41
Whether everyone would be stupendously more intelligent than I am. Turns out I'm kind of average, much as I should have expected.
Reply 42
Most worried about people and it turned out to be ok
Reply 43
If I was going to have to mix with ordinary people :rolleyes:
Reply 44
Im worried about whether I will be able to manage my work load and make good friends.
Reply 45
Was worried I'd make no mates... 5 years later I have friends all round the world from the UK, to Canada to Germany and France. Best thing I ever did. I always have a friend nearby
I haven't started Uni yet but I am terrified to! So much that I'm questioning my decision of moving out of my parents house, wondering wether I'll be able to cope or not. However, hopefully it will give me some independance and it will be good to see what it's like to be a proper adult for once!
I was worried people would think I was odd because I didn't drink much. I solved this problem by drinking a lot. :erm:
Reply 48
I was worried because I don't drink or like going clubbing. Turns out you just have to find other people who feel the same! :smile:
Reply 49
whether I would get on with flatmates, i did, most people are fine tbh
Reply 50
I was worried about the work load but I have had plenty of assistance from lecturers as well as other people on the course :smile:
Reply 51
Coming from overseas and moving to such a big city as London I was a bit concerned on how I would adapt. I had visited London before, but there is a huge difference from living and visiting London (as a tourist that is).

I prepared myself on beforehand on the cultural differences I might stumble upon. Luckily the accents I have met so far have been very understandable. I read up on some history and browsed the news to try to hit the ground running when I finally got an address.

The one change I was not prepared for was the different variety of food products available. The stuff I was used to from back home was obviously not there, and I had to figure out what the hell I liked. It was quite a trip.

Something I probably should have worried myself more over would have been the flatmates. By now a couple have come and gone. But if you have a communal kitchen, you will have to expect some mess some of the time. And some people might not do their fair share of communal work.

Besides the fact that I was living somewhere else with someone else, the university enrolment was exciting. I had already come in contact with some of my coursemates on the university Facebook group (highly recommended by the way) and we had arranged to meet at a Costa Coffee to get to know each other. Before the first day of uni I had already made some good friends, which I still have to this day.

A very nice surprise that I did not prepare was the Student Union activities and societies. I got involved in some of them, and that was a great way to meet new students outside your own course.

If I could give you a tip for the enrolment period (first week or so) I would say do keep up. There will be a crapnado of information hailing over you with new information about the uni itself, the course and the different subjects you are taking. All of the basic intro information will probably not be repeated, so try to have your wits about you and do not get sidetracked. No one will punish you if you do not show up to stuff, you just have to show up on the right place on the right time.

I think that it is. Good luck, you will be perfectly fine.
Reply 52
I'm was worried about money matters, will it all work out? I have yet to see :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Being away from home for the first time. It was scary at first but I made some good friends and remember you're in the same boat as other new students. The workload was pretty easy the first year and it came as a bit of a shock when I started my second year, so it was time to knuckle down and work a lot harder. There was still time to have fun though :-)
Reply 54
Was worried bout fiting in and makinf new friends especially since am in my mid twenties and far from for the first time. Am still trying to deal with it its hard and i often just curl up in bed and feel low bt then i perk up and remember why i came here
I was worried about whether I'd struggle with the work as much as I did at alevel.

I'm not... yet!
I was worried that I wouldn't fit in anywhere in the school culture.
Reply 57
Original post by shooks
Starting uni is an exciting but nerve-wracking time. Pretty much everyone has some worries ahead of going to uni for the first time, whether it's about being away from home, dealing with the workload, making new friends or something else.

What was your main concern before starting uni, and how did it turn out for you in the end?

This is a golden thread. Join in with this discussion before 1 May to be in with a chance of winning an iPad mini.

For me, I think the main problem would if it was possible to have loads of fun meanwhile studying and acing tests at the same time. It's university, it's bound to be extremely difficult so you'll need to study a lot :\
Reply 58
I havent actually got to uni yet, i just want an ipad.....
Reply 59
Original post by musicmedic
I was worried about my flatmates being weird.

My flatmates are weird.

So r mine bt atlst the floor mates

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending