The Student Room Group

What part-time jobs have you had (and would you recommend them to other people)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I've worked at Robert dyas for over a year now and I love it, plus it pays well!! DONT let a job get in the way of revision and college!!
I currently work at a clothing store in town, it's only part time and as I am studying business it gives me an insight into the retail side of things which has definitely helped me a lot! I would advise working for a smaller business, my team only has 10 people and I get to ask a lot of questions and get involved in most tasks.
Reply 62
I work in a restaurant, it's super stressful and the pay isn't great!

Buuut, i love the people that i work with, they're really lovely and i can walk there so it's in a great location :smile:
Reply 63
Warner Bros Cinemas. I worked for them age 17 and 18. Good benefits, free food and films. I got paid quite well and treated really well. They were really good at working around classes and not giving me late shifts in the week.
Reply 64
Translator of legal documents in Italian... Great job
Reply 65
I've just finished working at Boots and it was definitely an enjoyable 2 years!! Hopefully will be going back at Christmas as all the people are lovely, the pay was great and I loved spending all day discussing hair products and make-up!!
Floorball referee - being a referee in general. Fun, great for your character, quick money at a high hour rate there's also a lot of flexibility. Anyone can get it too. In other words, you won't have to look for the job. These opportunities, becoming a ref, diminishes quickly if you don't live in an urban area, though.
When at Uni, there's only one place I could consider getting a job - my local UniTemps office. It's a company, endorsed by my Uni, that provides jobs at the Uni itself mainly on open days, but at other times too. You get paid just over a living wage (£7.85), and get to pick all your shifts. So if your shifts - so it's a slow week, pick up some work and earn some dosh. Lots of coursework? Drop everything and concentrate on your studies. I think it's absolutely perfect for any student with a complex timetable, who wants to retain the freedom of picking where and what they work!
Reply 68
I work part time at waitrose (in last year of 6th form right now) its brilliant - hours are flexible and not too many to compromise school work as well as being a great company to be part of!
we get a 25% john lewis discount and a 15% one in waitrose, everyone is really really lovely and you get the feeling that you are cared for as an employee.. not to mention that the pay is absolutely fantastic compared to most other part time jobs in shops for young people!
i would recommend trying to get a job there for any young person
It wasn't a part time job as such but I did volunteering in an animal shelter 3 days a week! I would recommend it to anyone with a bit if extra time on their hands and don't know what to do with themselves! It's great fun! Also helps get into jobs working with animals as it counts as experience! So it will be great for when I do my zoology degree!
Reply 70
Worked at cancer research UK (charity shop) it was good time pass and I learnt many key skills, it also supported my application for Medicine (e.g. showed commitment etc..)
Reply 71
It's usually easy to get a job was a waiter/waitress in England as well as in Germany but for your career and CV real jobs are better. I want to work at an art gallery part time (I'm studying art history soon).

Posted from TSR Mobile
myfirst part time job was as a cafe assistant. stupidly hectic, especially around christmas, and i didn't have a fixed number of hours so it varied week on week which had its up and downs ha. but my boss was cool, he gave me time off for revision and the pay wasn't too bad considering i was 16 and it was my first job. the customers were generally ok, but sometimes they could get seriously rude.

i'm currently working in the co-op pharmacy as a "healthcare assistant" manning the till and fetching people's prescriptions etc. i really enjoy this, the pay is really good, i only work 4 hours on a saturday and it's a lot more interesting than cafe work ha.

i always help out during the holidays at my mum's work, which is a solicitor's office. i do stuff like writing letters to clients, answering the phone, sorting out files, general admin stuff but i really enjoy this as well, it's really interesting as well and i am quite interested in legal stuff so.
Breakfast waitress/Chambermaid - This was my first job at 15/16. I actually quite enjoyed it because the hours were nice (only mornings) and it was a privately owned guest house so I got to know the boss quite well. The downside was that some people left their rooms in filthy states and you were expected to clean each room quite quickly which just wasn't possible if they'd been to the beach and left sand all over the floor for example!

Sales Assistant at Martins McColl - The pay is terrible for Under 21s (I was 17 when I worked here and got paid £3.53ph, but this was nearly 5 years ago and I'm pretty sure minimum wage is higher now) but the job itself was great. Hardly any awkward customers and there were only about 10 members of staff so we all knew eachother and got on well.

Team Member at Odeon Cinemas - The major downside of working in a cinema is the hours - on weekends you can expect to finish at around 2am, and 12 hour shifts were commonplace. The good side is that you get to go to cinema for free and most of the people who worked there were really friendly. Another downside is that you get quite a lot of awkward guests because going to the cinema is getting ever more expensive and they like to complain about that.
I work in The Co-operative Food and I'd say I enjoy it, pays alright too :smile:
Student Ambassador! Get to meet lots of outgoing people. Great socials. Money's pretty good too!
Reply 76
Original post by shooks
Lots of people get a part-time job when they're at school, college or uni. What was yours, and would you recommend it to other people?

This is a golden thread. Join in with this discussion before 1 May to be in with a chance of winning an iPad mini.

I'm just generally interested in part-time jobs. I'm waiting to attend college after summer and I'm in need of a part-time job. I have my CV ready but where should I send it?
my first part-time job was as a swimming teacher when i was maybe 15. i really liked it, seeing as i like both swimming and children. plus the pay was pretty good too considering i did it once or twice a week.

then the next summer i worked in a library for a month or two, and i absolutely loved that. the pay was fine, not too high but not too low, and my colleagues were a bit eh sometimes, but i absolutely love libraries :biggrin: i would love to work there again, but it's quite competitive for summer placements so i'm not holding out...

then i worked at a daycare for a summer. it was great, but i was working with really little kids so it got kind of repetitive and even boring since they don't really do that much :tongue:

most recently i started and stopped working as a telemarketer :tongue: i was only there for like a week because i really couldn't handle the job. if you're the right kind of personality it can be a really great job -- good pay, flexible hours, all kinds of cool people -- but you need to be able to handle random people yelling at you for hours on end, and that's not for me.

i've also done a lot of sporadic babysitting, which i really enjoy. most families i sit for pay really well and their kids are great :smile:
Reply 78
While I was at school I was doing a part-time (and full-time during the summer) job. It was a good position in the 2nd biggest shipping company "MSC" (Documentation department). :wink:
Reply 79
Worked as an intern at a graphic design company, best experience totally recommend it.
Also it doesn't have to be related to your study, you are there to learn how the outside world will be like and how to work with people from different backgrounds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending