The Student Room Group

RAF Application Thread

Hiya guys don't know if we have one of these threads but if we don't post here everything about applications! Where you're at in the process or any tips and tricks you can also ask questions about the process and see if anyone answers!

for me I'm going in as driver and I'm just waiting for an email to invite me to a P3 presentation (which should come Wednesday as my AFCO kindly informed me today :smile:)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adam_1991
Hiya guys don't know if we have one of these threads but if we don't post here everything about applications! Where you're at in the process or any tips and tricks you can also ask questions about the process and see if anyone answers!

for me I'm going in as driver and I'm just waiting for an email to invite me to a P3 presentation (which should come Wednesday as my AFCO kindly informed me today :smile:)

Hi Adam, it could be a good idea so here's me for anyone who has direct questions:

Been through the P2 officer selection process twice, first in May 2012 failed at the hangar stage. Second was June 2013, failed the fitness test. After starting my third application and passing my third P2 filter interview I was invited back to OASC to resit fitness test.

I passed, was accepted as a logistics officer to start IOT next month.

Feel free to pick my brains if anyone needs advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Congrats on IOT!

was just wondering what subjects you used for current affairs. Applied for SNCO ATC, but stuck on the current afairs- theres so many to chose from or deos it matter what i pick as long as its significant?

SWalley
Reply 3
That's great Tina especially not giving up after so long good determination! Congrats on getting to IOT :smile: now I know officer and airmen applications differ but what sort of stuff could I expect on interview?
Reply 4
Original post by swalley
Congrats on IOT!

was just wondering what subjects you used for current affairs. Applied for SNCO ATC, but stuck on the current afairs- theres so many to chose from or deos it matter what i pick as long as its significant?

SWalley

Within reason, pick anything you want. It makes more sense to pick the news items that stand out to you because you're more likely to remember them. Standard advice is to go for 6; 3 national, 3 international. Important thing though is being able to come to your own conclusion about what's going on, not just to regurgitate someone else's opinion.
Reply 5
Original post by swalley
Congrats on IOT!

SWalley

Follow @raf_chris on twitter or just save his page to your favourites.

He is an RAF recruiter and he posts links to current affairs stories for oasc candidates every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swalley
Congrats on IOT!

SWalley

Thanks!

I was specifically asked for five news titles for each and had made the mistake of only having 3 of each and I picked obscure yet in my opinion significant ones.

They didn't like this and I was marked down for both points as 'lacking a depth of knowledge of what was going on around me in the world' an advised to 'read a quality newspaper'.

I corrected this for my third filter and picked big obvious significant ones like Syria, North Korea etc and for home HS2, Scottish independence etc. I had some curveball questions about the one from each chosen to see how I responded with a solid opinion.

Pick 5 of each and if you must pick obscure try to keep it to one or two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adam_1991
That's great Tina especially not giving up after so long good determination! Congrats on getting to IOT :smile: now I know officer and airmen applications differ but what sort of stuff could I expect on interview?

Thanks Adam, I can't deny I wasn't determined but recruitment has been so competitive these last few years.

One of my cadets recently went through selection for MT driver so I know a fair bit. You'll be asked similar subject areas such as RAF knowledge (aircraft, stns, overseas ops etc) your training (basic and trade) NATO, your personal experiences etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by teasin_tina
Thanks Adam, I can't deny I wasn't determined but recruitment has been so competitive these last few years.

One of my cadets recently went through selection for MT driver so I know a fair bit. You'll be asked similar subject areas such as RAF knowledge (aircraft, stns, overseas ops etc) your training (basic and trade) NATO, your personal experiences etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great thanks for info! Can get preparing and researching now :smile:
Reply 9
I used the following last week.

Ukraine
Aghanistan
North Korea
Singapore
Syria

Northern Ireland
Scottish Independence
The Floods
HS2
British education standards

The asked me questions on Ukraine, Scottish Independence and we also touched on Afghanistan.
Reply 10
Update from me - got email today inviting me to P3 presentation it's next Tuesday at 12pm. That was quite quick!
Reply 11
Well done thats great- good luck!
Reply 12
Waiting start basic training at Halton as a supplier.

Failed Filter interview for officer ( was very young when I took, inexperienced)

Feel free to ask any questions about the application, PRTC etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Sat in AFCO now waiting for pres to start xD
Reply 14
It's boring, but take notes, it's all for the interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Got ya Rhys :smile: still waiting lol but ill note every little detail down!
Reply 16
Got an email yesterday from AFCO got my interview booked for 30th of this month! :smile: happy things are moving along quite smoothly :smile:
Reply 17
I have my PJFT this weekend, so fingers crossed I get given my provisional dates next week. Just in the process of doing my security clearance stuff, anyone know how long these generally take to process?
Reply 18
Good luck DJ hope you pass it not sure how long the security clearance will take. If it's a CRB then maybe about 2-3 weeks of memory serves (I've had a CRB before) but with RAF could be longer
Reply 19
Thanks Adam, good luck with the interview on the 30th. Don't worry about it too much, as long as you do the research you'll breeze through it.

Quick Reply

Latest