The Student Room Group

St Georges University Grenada Caribbean

Has anyone been / planning on going there?

I'm seriously considering it and have heard mixed reviews about it
Grenada is not RCVS approved, or at least it wasn't a few years back. This means you would need to pay a hefty fee and do further (possibly difficult) exams if you want to practise in the UK - something to be aware of. At the time I remember Grenada being way more expensive than English-language vet degrees in Europe (which are often RCVS approved). See here for a list of all approved degrees: http://www.rcvs.org.uk/registration/who-can-register/#foreign

Be ware that often you won't get loans if you study abroad and will have to pay fees up front from your own / your parent's pockets.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I looked into it YEARS ago, but at the time it was neither AVMA nor RCVS accredited. I believe it is now AVMA accredited with partial (or something like that) RCVS accreditation. Because you intercalate at another school for your final year there, there were 2 students in my final year, one of whom was in my rotation group for awhile. She seemed to really like it, and I would say her knowledge/skills was at least equivalent to our own. She had more surgery experience as there are more opportunities to do surgery over there, if I remember correctly.

But yes, although the RCVS *thought* her school was accredited when she phoned to inquire, it turns out it isn't (I never fully understood the 'mixup' there) and she had to take the board exams, which she did say were challenging.
Reply 3
Original post by Tarnia
I looked into it YEARS ago, but at the time it was neither AVMA nor RCVS accredited. I believe it is now AVMA accredited with partial (or something like that) RCVS accreditation. Because you intercalate at another school for your final year there, there were 2 students in my final year, one of whom was in my rotation group for awhile. She seemed to really like it, and I would say her knowledge/skills was at least equivalent to our own. She had more surgery experience as there are more opportunities to do surgery over there, if I remember correctly.

But yes, although the RCVS *thought* her school was accredited when she phoned to inquire, it turns out it isn't (I never fully understood the 'mixup' there) and she had to take the board exams, which she did say were challenging.

Original post by SilverstarDJ
Grenada is not RCVS approved, or at least it wasn't a few years back. This means you would need to pay a hefty fee and do further (possibly difficult) exams if you want to practise in the UK - something to be aware of. At the time I remember Grenada being way more expensive than English-language vet degrees in Europe (which are often RCVS approved). See here for a list of all approved degrees: http://www.rcvs.org.uk/registration/who-can-register/#foreign

Be ware that often you won't get loans if you study abroad and will have to pay fees up front from your own / your parent's pockets.

Yeah, I'd heard about having to take the RCVS exam after I'd finished, it's just a consideration, I love the country and the way of life out there so thought i'd do some more research, thanks for your help?
Hi there.

I'm thinking of applying to St. George's University for veterinary medicine. Are there any South African students who were accepted to SGU? If so, would you please share your credentials -- i.e. did you apply straight from Gr 12? What were your marks and what was your APS score, if you wouldn't mind sharing?
I'd be grateful for the information! :smile:

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending