The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Global Health BSc Queen Mary

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

I know this post is quite old and I doubt anyone will see it. I was just wondering what this course is like? What type of alevels do you need in order to be accepted? Also I would greatly appreciate any personal statement advice. Thank you
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by orangee123
Hello,

I know this post is quite old and I doubt anyone will see it. I was just wondering what this course is like? What type of alevels do you need in order to be accepted? Also I would greatly appreciate any personal statement advice. Thank you

Hi, I just finished the first year of Global health at Queen Mary's

The course is really interesting. There's a good mix of topics as well: in the first term of year one you study politics, social determinants of health, epidemiology and a module on research, analysis and essay writing. The second term has politics, geogrophy, anthropology and economics. Essay writing is part of it, but you usually get one essay and exam for each module per term. Its not too full on, you have plenty support and lecturers are happy to provide extra help outside of lectures and seminars. Regarding A levels, everyone on the course did a different mix, most did biology however some did all sciences and maths. I personally, did biology, english literature and history.

For personal statements, mine was directed at medicine, which was the case for most people. So I think its good to mention why you're interested in Global Health and what aspects you're passionate about - but don't make it university specific. Mention activities or volunteering you may have done discuss what it taught you and relate it back to why you are interested in GH.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Hope it helps :smile:
Original post by jessica_asabea28

The course is really interesting. There's a good mix of topics as well: in the first term of year one you study politics, social determinants of health, epidemiology and a module on research, analysis and essay writing. The second term has politics, geogrophy, anthropology and economics. Essay writing is part of it, but you usually get one essay and exam for each module per term. Its not too full on, you have plenty support and lecturers are happy to provide extra help outside of lectures and seminars. Regarding A levels, everyone on the course did a different mix, most did biology however some did all sciences and maths. I personally, did biology, english literature and history.

For personal statements, mine was directed at medicine, which was the case for most people. So I think its good to mention why you're interested in Global Health and what aspects you're passionate about - but don't make it university specific. Mention activities or volunteering you may have done discuss what it taught you and relate it back to why you are interested in GH.

This was loads of help for me as I have put QM global health as my firm for September. can I ask what grades you got? And what your accomodatikn is like as I could only apply to Whitechapel which is different from the main one so I'm worried it won't be as sociable
many thanks for your help
Does anyone know about the Msc program? Any information would be of great help. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skelly123
This was loads of help for me as I have put QM global health as my firm for September. can I ask what grades you got? And what your accomodatikn is like as I could only apply to Whitechapel which is different from the main one so I'm worried it won't be as sociable
many thanks for your help

I got ABB which is the entry requirment but people got lower and were still accepted. I lived in Floyer House and it was good. I got on really well with my flatmates, and whether its sociable or not depends on how much you go out of your way to talk to people. If you make an effort and are friendly it will be okay :smile:
Hi, I am joining QMUL/Barts to study Global Health Bsc in September and I am so excited but a little nervous at the same time. I will be living in floyer house. I was wondering how many people were on the course last year and whether the lectures are at Mile End or Whitechapel? Many thanks :smile:
I got ABB which is the entry requirment but people got lower and were still accepted. I lived in Floyer House and it was good. I got on really well with my flatmates, and whether its sociable or not depends on how much you go out of your way to talk to people. If you make an effort and are friendly it will be okay :smile:

Hi, I am joining QMUL/Barts to study Global Health Bsc in September and I am so excited but a little nervous at the same time. I will be living in floyer house. I was wondering how many people were on the course last year and whether the lectures are at Mile End or Whitechapel? Many thanks :smile:

I've only just read this but thank you very much you have been so helpful! I was quite worried because at the start of the year I was more interested in a law/politics related degree and so all of my subjects are humanities/social science and I've only recently came across this degree so I hope that I am still able to apply...
Reply 28
Has anyone studied this without taking a science subject at A Level?
Hey there. I think that's probable although am not sure as am on the masters course
Reply 30
Is it likely you'll get interviewed for the Global Health course?
Original post by alicega
Is it likely you'll get interviewed for the Global Health course?

I have an interview for Global Health.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending