The Student Room Group

Cambridge offer but forced to reject it help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by James222
Even US states have different fees for out of state students grow up

How can you compare a malaria victim to a student

US has a lot more scholarships available. At top universities like Harvard it costs same or less for 90% of Americans to go to their in state uni and Harvard (stated on the harvard website). Also US states work quite differently from each other.

In Canada it isn't like that except for Quebec which has a really low fee for Quebecois students and French students. Yes French people would be the same as a Quebec resident.
Reply 141
I'd just speak to Cambridge, tell them your situation and see the options. Money should never be a factor in this stuff but its the world we live in. I seriously hope you make it there because its a fantastic opportunity and wealth shouldn't decide yes or no.
Reply 142
Does anyone know if a Computer science degree or Computer Engineering or Software Engineering from McGill or Waterloo would be recognised in the UK?
Reply 143
It sickens me that someone with 4 A*s, who is clearly very academically able, and must have worked their socks off to get those grades might have to decline their offer from Cambridge because they cant fund their education. What sort of world am I living in? it seems to be full of racist & heartless idiots. I dont understand why the UK is so popular, it doesnt deserve any bit of reputation when half of it's so called "true british" citizens are so stupid and gullible... I wonder what they are actually being educated on. Talk about taxes, people seem to forget immigrants also pay taxes. They seem to forget that visas dont come cheap, they seem to forget that many highly skilled immigrants actually contribute so much more into the British economy in their lifetime than the majority of British citizens. The whole "the increasing number of immigrants means a rise in benefits being claimed" is all utter bull****. In the last few month, the treatment of Romanians and Bulgarians as well as non-EU immigrants made me realise that the UK is lost. People dont seem to realise that a very high percentage of immigrants are not even entitled to benefits, and the ones who are tend to be refugees, those under asylum or those seeking humanitarian protection, or those who actually genuinely need the money. Ofcourse, there is a small % of people who claim benefits for wrong reasons, but keep in mind, this is only a small %. Politicians skew the truth to gain vote, they feed on myths and people's fears. What sort of world do we live in that people complain about allowing people a right to feel safe and protected, what make british people any better than refugees? Is it the fact that their ancestors colonised and exploited many nations in the past to get to where they are today, or the fact that they live in a country with abundance of everything, but greed blinds many into thinking "because the UK is in a recession, the country's wealth has drastically decreased, and it means that british citizens have to fight to survive" -__- As they say, money is the root of all evil. The greed of human beings has led to one country having too much food, and another with little. One country offering many oppurtunities to numerous people who dont even care about making the best out of life, and another where, the people of the country desperately seek for any oppurtunity to come. Dont get me wrong, I live in the UK, and there are numerous genuinely down to earth British people, but no-one can truly comprehend how much it pisses me off that the country where a person is born or their citizenship plays such a huge factor for the rest of their life. Wow i have gone way off topic, but what i am trying to say is that "do you think that uk universities cannot afford to fund the education of international students who cant afford the fees? do you think it actually hurts their pocket so much?" I work in the university of manchester, I can tell you that the amount of profit made by the university that go to waste on silly causes is a joke, so I dont see why UK universities cant be charitable and asssist people in need. The OP is right about how it is much easier to get a scholarship in North America than in the UK, because they are less racist and a lot more accepting of different races and cultures. The UK has so much unnessecary pride and it's only a matter of time till that all changes.
OP, I advise you not to give up on your dreams, there are too many idiots in this world and on TSR, so just ignore the haters. Keep striving, and i know you will achieve your goals. Cambridge is a really good uni, but why dont you try applying to ivy league universities in the America, I know applications for admission will be closed now, but there's nothing wrong with taking a gap year. And you can always defer your offer from cambridge (if you can), just to be on the safe side. Maybe get a job and save up as much as you can, then you might have enough money saved up to show you can afford at least the first half of your first year, and apply for a study permit. the university are more likely to assist you in if they see that you're having financial diffuculties which are affecting your studies, they cant be having that as they want the best out of all their students. I have heard many stories of universities giving fee waivers to struggling international student, or even sponsoring a struggling student's entire course because they see that the student is extremely talented, and see it as a good investment :smile::smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by bee5
It sickens me that someone with 4 A*s, who is clearly very academically able, and must have worked their socks off to get those grades might have to decline their offer from Cambridge because they cant fund their education. What sort of world am I living in? it seems to be full of racist & heartless idiots. I dont understand why the UK is so popular, it doesnt deserve any bit of reputation when half of it's so called "true british" citizens are so stupid and gullible... I wonder what they are actually being educated on. Talk about taxes, people seem to forget immigrants also pay taxes. They seem to forget that visas dont come cheap, they seem to forget that many highly skilled immigrants actually contribute so much more into the British economy in their lifetime than the majority of British citizens. The whole "the increasing number of immigrants means a rise in benefits being claimed" is all utter bull****. In the last few month, the treatment of Romanians and Bulgarians as well as non-EU immigrants made me realise that the UK is lost. People dont seem to realise that a very high percentage of immigrants are not even entitled to benefits, and the ones who are tend to be refugees, those under asylum or those seeking humanitarian protection, or those who actually genuinely need the money. Ofcourse, there is a small % of people who claim benefits for wrong reasons, but keep in mind, this is only a small %. Politicians skew the truth to gain vote, they feed on myths and people's fears. What sort of world do we live in that people complain about allowing people a right to feel safe and protected, what make british people any better than refugees? Is it the fact that their ancestors colonised and exploited many nations in the past to get to where they are today, or the fact that they live in a country with abundance of everything, but greed blinds many into thinking "because the UK is in a recession, the country's wealth has drastically decreased, and it means that british citizens have to fight to survive" -__- As they say, money is the root of all evil. The greed of human beings has led to one country having too much food, and another with little. One country offering many oppurtunities to numerous people who dont even care about making the best out of life, and another where, the people of the country desperately seek for any oppurtunity to come. Dont get me wrong, I live in the UK, and there are numerous genuinely down to earth British people, but no-one can truly comprehend how much it pisses me off that the country where a person is born or their citizenship plays such a huge factor for the rest of their life. Wow i have gone way off topic, but what i am trying to say is that "do you think that uk universities cannot afford to fund the education of international students who cant afford the fees? do you think it actually hurts their pocket so much?" I work in the university of manchester, I can tell you that the amount of profit made by the university that go to waste on silly causes is a joke, so I dont see why UK universities cant be charitable and asssist people in need. The OP is right about how it is much easier to get a scholarship in North America than in the UK, because they are less racist and a lot more accepting of different races and cultures. The UK has so much unnessecary pride and it's only a matter of time till that all changes.
OP, I advise you not to give up on your dreams, there are too many idiots in this world and on TSR, so just ignore the haters. Keep striving, and i know you will achieve your goals. Cambridge is a really good uni, but why dont you try applying to ivy league universities in the America, I know applications for admission will be closed now, but there's nothing wrong with taking a gap year. And you can always defer your offer from cambridge (if you can), just to be on the safe side. Maybe get a job and save up as much as you can, then you might have enough money saved up to show you can afford at least the first half of your first year, and apply for a study permit. the university are more likely to assist you in if they see that you're having financial diffuculties which are affecting your studies, they cant be having that as they want the best out of all their students. I have heard many stories of universities giving fee waivers to struggling international student, or even sponsoring a struggling student's entire course because they see that the student is extremely talented, and see it as a good investment :smile::smile:

Have I found someone who isn't ignorant or narrow-minded? I completely agree with you. The UK doesn't deserve it's reputation and praise. The government are all about improving the economy and here there are smart, hard-working people knocking on our door. Some Britons are just so lucky that it just so happens that they were born here and can live the rest of their lives hassle-free. Use your brains well people, if it helps; put yourself in their situation and decide how you would've wanted others to treat you. And now that your in your own body, think whether they should be treated differently.
Reply 145
Original post by bee5

I might not be much contributing to the topic or the problem at hand, but if I could just cut in and say 'thanks'. :smile: That reply of yours was really refreshing and a very adequate grasp on the subject at that.

Man, from the moment I started following this thread, my heart literally started sinking with each post. I can't even imagine how discouraging it must've been for the OP reading some of that loadacrap from the first pages.

What was it? Ah,
Original post by Old_Simon
We do not need foreigners who are pretending to be an "asset" to the UK. We have plenty of bright people of our own. Go to McGill.
What a ridiculously close-minded and stupid statement to make. I am shooting blanks here, but I'm pretty confident in my saying that probably over 40% of the lecturers in RG unis are of Pakistani, Indian, west Asian, east Asian, southern and eastern European descent.

Basically though, it was just nice to be reminded there are still some decent and conscious people out there. :smile: Keep it up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kcorbins
Have I found someone who isn't ignorant or narrow-minded? I completely agree with you. The UK doesn't deserve it's reputation and praise. The government are all about improving the economy and here there are smart, hard-working people knocking on our door. Some Britons are just so lucky that it just so happens that they were born here and can live the rest of their lives hassle-free. Use your brains well people, if it helps; put yourself in their situation and decide how you would've wanted others to treat you. And now that your in your own body, think whether they should be treated differently.

Exactly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Old_Simon
I don't see why we should be educating the entire planet.

If you went to a half-decent university maybe you would realize the extent to which their quality stems from non-British academic staff. I presently study Law at UCL - less than half the lecturers for your ENGLISH law are British. Many of the textbooks we use are written by non-Britons. I also just received an offer for law at Oxford - 3 out of 4 of my interview tutors for your ENGLISH law were not British.

Asides from the immediate and obvious economic benefits to your country, this is why your universities "educate the entire planet." These are largely the people who end up teaching your British kids at university - kids that, as a matter of general fact, end up getting into these universities with worse grades than their foreign friends.

If you're so intent on disallowing foreigners from being educated at British universities, that's fine, but you better be prepared to deal with the loss of all those foreigners that are such a crucial part of why your British university education is so sought-after. You can't have it both ways.
(edited 7 years ago)
Delete Duplicate Post
(edited 6 years ago)
I have been lurking in this forum for a while. To be honest, this thread has really made me depressed about the situation in the UK and provides the confirmation that I have made the right decision for my 2 kids who are applying to universities right now.

Let me start with our family background:

1. Both my wife and I were educated in England more than 30 years ago from universities which are ranked one of the top universities in the UK including Oxbridge;

2. After our degrees, we returned to our home country but were posted back to London on an international job assignment. As a result, both our kids started their primary schooling in London.

3. After we returned to Asia, we were keen to let our kids benefit from the same experience we had in the UK. So, we enrolled them in an international school, a British one no less, at our own expense which is not insignificant. The plan was that they will go on to attend universities in the UK, get some work experience, and return to Asia. This had always been the plan since day one.

Fast forward 10 years: the indiscriminate tightening of immigration rules for international students, increasing anti-foreigner sentiment/rhetoric (as partly evidenced by some contributors on this thread), and finally culminating in Brexit have made our family review our plans. Until Brexit occurred, we never contemplated any other country other than the UK. After all, my kids were been educated in the UK system all their life and both my wife and I had great experience in the UK universities.

As our kids are putting in their application for universities today, I can safely say that there is less than a minimal chance that they will go to the UK, and will likely instead end up in Canada. Why Canada? Mainly because of its welcoming stance towards international students, quality universities and its unique co-op system which allows students (even international students) to work and study as part of their degree. If we are going to spend up to GBP400,000 in total for higher education for both our kids, we might as well spend it in a country which welcomes them, and as a bonus offers them a clearly defined path to permanent residency and citizenship.

We have thought long and hard and this decision pains us greatly. We are so familiar with the UK system of education and have benefited greatly from its quality education. Our plan has always been that our kids will end up in the UK for university following the path of their parents. Our kids never intended to live in the UK permanently as they know that the future is in Asia. But what's wrong with letting international students get some work experience to complement their academic degrees? We get the feeling that the immigration laws in the UK taints all foreigners with the same broad brush and assumes that every international student wants to stay in the UK illegally and god forbid sponge off state benefits.

This is not the same UK both my wife and I knew when we were students almost 30 years ago. What the UK is heading towards will in the long run diminish UK's influence in the world. One of the UK's greatest strengths is its Higher Education system which is a significant soft power which UK can still assert. But I fear that the current government is inflicting self-harm on this very last bastion of Great Britain. If a family like ours which have such significant ties to the UK education system are changing its mind, imagine what may happen in the long term.
Wow, some of the responses on this thread! I’m appalled...

OP, if you are lucky and talented enough to get into Cambridge, then chase your dream! I don’t know much about visas and immigration laws so I can’t help you in this respect, but if there’s a will there’s a way. Who says a foreigner can’t be a great asset to higher education in the UK? If you work hard and make the most out of Cambridge, then you can be their next great, Nobel Prize-winning alumnus.
Reply 151
I would love to live in Quebec
Original post by kluejay
Bump Anyone:confused:

If someone has the ability and skills to graduate from Cambridge you don't think such a person deserves to attend? Wouldn't such a person be a valuable asset to the UK?

Besides I've already given up on that, I want to immigrate after graduating if I can.

I've been made an offer to Cambridge. But I'm not from the EU or U.K. Therefore, my tuition bill will be enormous...about £50,000.00 per year. I'm honored that Cambridge is willing to use one if its coveted spots to make me an offer I will do one of two things: pay the tuition and gladly attend; decline the offer and go to a uni I can afford; I can go to uni in my own country and hopefully get a financial need grant. Not everyone gets what they want and life isn't fair! I'd like a private jet and I'd like a flat in London and box seats at La Scala. Nobody gets a free ride.
Original post by Karpdiem
I've been made an offer to Cambridge. But I'm not from the EU or U.K. Therefore, my tuition bill will be enormous...about £50,000.00 per year. I'm honored that Cambridge is willing to use one if its coveted spots to make me an offer I will do one of two things: pay the tuition and gladly attend; decline the offer and go to a uni I can afford; I can go to uni in my own country and hopefully get a financial need grant. Not everyone gets what they want and life isn't fair! I'd like a private jet and I'd like a flat in London and box seats at La Scala. Nobody gets a free ride.

Yes, it's true we should all be able to be educated to our fullest potential but it doesn't mean we have a right to go to Oxbridge when plenty of UK nationals also want to attend Oxford or Cambridge. Oxbridge can easily fill its spaces with its own U.K. students, EU students and a few highly qualified foreigners willing to pay full tuition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending