The Student Room Group

Is love real?

Is love actually real or is it something we trick ourselves into believing so we can just generally feel a lot more stable? Does having the hope that one day you'll find the "perfect" man or woman make people believe more in love than they believe in reality? True love (if there is such a thing) seems like a distant fantasy for most people but why exactly is that? Is love just how you feel about someone in a specific situation or is it continuous? I'm only 16 but for most of my life I haven't experienced much love. Apart from my parents and some of my siblings, the people I love always end up hurting me. So can I conclude that love isn't real if it's not natural love between family members?

Scroll to see replies

Love is real.
Reply 2
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Love is real.

Is it really? How?
Original post by Nissie1
Is it really? How?

It's chemical reactions in the brain and feelings that most people experience. I would say that that qualifies it as real. If not, then by that logic nothing can be classified as real..
Reply 4
Original post by Nissie1
Is it really? How?

It's not. Ask my ex

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Just because love is real, doesn't mean that you can't get hurt by it!

I have relatives (siblings, even) that I don't love, cause I've never met, so this "natural love" that you describe is not automatic. You can have that bond with anyone.
I think it's real :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It's chemical reactions in the brain and feelings that most people experience. I would say that that qualifies it as real. If not, then by that logic nothing can be classified as real..

I understand the science behind it but if we think of real life situations it doesn't matter what the brain does or how people think they feel, people say they're in love but they don't act as if they are. Actions speak louder than words but I get what you're saying
Reply 8
Original post by MidnightDream
I think it's real :smile:

Ok how?
Reply 9
Original post by Another
Just because love is real, doesn't mean that you can't get hurt by it!

I have relatives (siblings, even) that I don't love, cause I've never met, so this "natural love" that you describe is not automatic. You can have that bond with anyone.

I get that. But why would anyone hurt someone they love?
Reply 10
Original post by Nissie1
I get that. But why would anyone hurt someone they love?

Well, either:

1) She fell out of love for you (I don't love my family ALL the time, even!)

2) The love she has for herself overrides the love she has for you
At age 16 I'm not sure I really understood much about love. Teenage relationships are phenomenally intense but coming at a time of great change in our lives, our relationships with our family, and a growing independence, I don't think that's the right age to make any settled judgements about what 'love' is.

The OP is right to make the distinction between people saying 'I love you' and actual love. I can't offer any proof of something so personal and difficult to describe except that you know when you love someone, and you eventually come to know it when you see it too.
Time for a Dumbledore quote:

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
For it to have been written so much about in literature, poetry and history. For it to have captured the human imagination so fiercely, occupied every pocket of thought, conquered dreams and cities and caused so many wars, I feel it must only be real.
Reply 14
Original post by Lotus_Eater
At age 16 I'm not sure I really understood much about love. Teenage relationships are phenomenally intense but coming at a time of great change in our lives, our relationships with our family, and a growing independence, I don't think that's the right age to make any settled judgements about what 'love' is.

The OP is right to make the distinction between people saying 'I love you' and actual love. I can't offer any proof of something so personal and difficult to describe except that you know when you love someone, and you eventually come to know it when you see it too.

I get what you're saying about being 16, but I'm not the average 16 year old. I've been through so much crap that I've kinda had to grow up quickly. So age aside, I know when I love someone but how real is it?
Reply 15
Original post by HumanCitizen
For it to have been written so much about in literature, poetry and history. For it to have captured the human imagination so fiercely, occupied every pocket of thought, conquered dreams and cities and caused so many wars, I feel it must only be real.

Literature and poetry don't have to be based on reality. It could be that love is just something all humans long to feel or to have, and because of that desire we do strange things....
I think love is very real. It's both unconditional and eternal. I think it's fair to say that some people don't understand it and "love" every person they date - thinking that it changes depending on how they feel. But when you love someone through every fight, every happy and sad moment and love them for who they are, that's love.

To some, love is a delusion; it's unstable, changes over time, completely disappears and turns into some type of obsession - but that's just getting confused. However, with others it's real.
Reply 17
Original post by timetogettoned
I think love is very real. It's both unconditional and eternal. I think it's fair to say that some people don't understand it and "love" every person they date - thinking that it changes depending on how they feel. But when you love someone through every fight, every happy and sad moment and love them for who they are, that's love.

To some, love is a delusion; it's unstable, changes over time, completely disappears and turns into some type of obsession - but that's just getting confused. However, with others it's real.

Love is eternal.... how do you then explain breakups and divorce?
Original post by Nissie1
Literature and poetry don't have to be based on reality. It could be that love is just something all humans long to feel or to have, and because of that desire we do strange things....
I find that the most inspiring literature on romantic love, is based on the author's on experiences in life. I'm utterly convinced of love's existence and don't need more evidence (other than my experiencing it of course) to know it's real. Have people not been imprisoned in the name of love, died of their love of the other, committed suicide and other irrational acts. It couldn't all have been lust?
Reply 19
Original post by HumanCitizen
I find that the most inspiring literature on romantic love, is based on the author's on experiences in life. I'm utterly convinced of love's existence and don't need more evidence (other than my experiencing it of course) to know it's real. Have people not been imprisoned in the name of love, died of their love of the other, committed suicide and other irrational acts. It couldn't all have been lust?

Hmmm, i'm now in deep thought...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending