The Student Room Group

Medicine hopefuls!

I'm in my GCSE year and I'm hoping to study Medicine at Uni in a couple of year's time. How much work experience and/or extra curricular stuff have people been doing/have done and should I have already done loads already, as it's so competitive?
Reply 1
I only started after my GCSEs; you've timed it well!

During the summer after GCSEs I spent every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (except two weeks on holiday) in the local (albeit small) hospital doing volunteering work - this was probably overkill, but I would start off trying to volunteer so do a bit of research and contact the "Voluntary Service Manager" for your local hospital.

You may also want to contact any family friends who are doctors or a local GP and request that you do some work experience. GP is probably the best one to start with; I also shadowed a plastic surgeon and a ophthalmologist. The point of this is to make sure you really know you want to do medicine.

(I also managed to do some stuff in the US - very cool, but again overkill and totally not necessary)

Tl;dr: Start with volunteering(old peoples home and hospital) and try and organise some stuff with a GP
Reply 2
Original post by ladams
I only started after my GCSEs; you've timed it well!

During the summer after GCSEs I spent every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (except two weeks on holiday) in the local (albeit small) hospital doing volunteering work - this was probably overkill, but I would start off trying to volunteer so do a bit of research and contact the "Voluntary Service Manager" for your local hospital.

You may also want to contact any family friends who are doctors or a local GP and request that you do some work experience. GP is probably the best one to start with; I also shadowed a plastic surgeon and a ophthalmologist. The point of this is to make sure you really know you want to do medicine.

(I also managed to do some stuff in the US - very cool, but again overkill and totally not necessary)

Tl;dr: Start with volunteering(old peoples home and hospital) and try and organise some stuff with a GP

Thank you! Wow, that sounds like A LOT! There's and old people's home and small GP's surgery near where I live, would these likely let me volunteer? Also, when contacting the local(ish) hospital, do they have any sort of selection process? Or is it first come first served? And should I write a CV or similar for any of these, (I know I'm bot applying for a job, but..) and do I specify an area in the hospital in which I'd prefer to work/shadow?
Reply 3
It probably was, but remember its stretched out over a long time so its not too bad really.

I would try and contact them; the old people's home is more likely to give you something though. For the hospital I had an interview, but it was fairly relaxed and is probably more to check that you're serious and not going to waste their time. Probably first come first served. I didn't have to, I wouldn't bother unless they ask you to.

The 'volunteering service manager' was very helpful and put me in different areas of the hospital (Old peoples rehab ward, old peoples home, gardening, physiotherapy dept. etc...). I would worry about that when you get there, discuss it with who you're coordinating with.

Although its better if you organise it yourself, see if your school has any volunteering-type activities available; it makes it a lot easier. Also, ask your parents if they have any doctor friends - even if you can only get a day or two of experience.

If you want I can have a dig for emails I sent requesting expr.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending