The Student Room Group

Concerned about friend's baby

Anon for obvious reasons.

So I have a friend who has a baby, he's about 8 months old. I love her so much, and she loves him so much, he's pretty much her whole life now, and I can see that she's trying to be the best mother she possibly can, spending most of her money on his needs, and taking him to baby groups/library groups etc.

However, there are a few behaviours that I've seen that have got me slightly concerned for his welfare. I'm training in childcare and know roughly the stages of development he should be at, (although I know every child is very different) I really don't want to go to social, as I don't believe it's that serious, however I'm wondering how to talk to her and if there's any advice I can reasonably give...I don't have a child so I know she's more likely to see it as an insult.

- He is stuck in his high chair, IMO far too much. Last time I was over there for example, I was there for 2 hours and he was in there the whole time, save for nappy changing. She says that she doesn't want him crawling in the living room as she doesn't have a carpet yet, just floorboards, but I gave her a huge rug not long ago for that purpose.
- She is saying that she will not get him vaccinated, (MMR etc) because of scare stories that she's seen on the internet. I know this is a contentious issue, but it's gotten me worried.
- She is feeding him far too much mushy food. He should be on soft solids by now, but all she gives him is very mushy baby food, as she says he doesn't like the solid stuff. Surely this will impact speech development?
- She smokes in the house. I'm a smoker myself, but I feel very uncomfortable smoking in any house, let alone with a baby in there. Again, this is a behaviour born out of naivety, as she does it in the kitchen whilst he is in the living room, but I don't know how to get the danger across without seeming stuck up.

I'd like to reiterate that the baby is very well loved, and not at risk of any physical harm or neglect. It's just that she comes from an extremely troubled background and there are some thing which do concern me, as she just doesn't have some of the knowledge, and the last thing I want to do is come across as insulting or patronising.
Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
OP here, meant to say *she gives him very mushy foods at dinner time, and some very soft fruit and maybe a rusk in between. So not all mush, just very few solids.
Surely this isn't a job for Social Services, it's just a case of supporting her parenting? SS in many areas are so overstretched that they can't deal with children who are on the brink of being killed by their parents, so I doubt they're going to be concerned about a baby spending two hours in his highchair.

Does he have a playpen or anything like that? She may be able to pick something up off freecycle / gumtree, and that would solve the issue. I can only presume that she's concerned about the inevitability of him crawling off the rug.

As for the vaccinations, she should know that all the claims about MMR were thoroughly debunked. There also seems to have been a loss of institutional memory about how horrible (and fatal) measles, mumps, rubella, whooping cough etc. can be. You might like to show her this website, which is full of stories of babes and small children who died because they weren't or couldn't (couldn't is relevant because of the concept of herd immunity) be vaccinated http://shotbyshot.org/

Could you have a look into any free local parenting classes, and perhaps get her a book on weaning and solids?

You might also like to repost on mumsnet, as most people here (including me) aren't parents.
You can't really do all that much about the first three, but smoking in the house when you have a baby is absolutely disgusting, in my opinion, and you should perhaps say something about that.
Original post by Anonymous

So I have a friend who has a baby, he's about 8 months old. I love her so much, and she loves him so much, he's pretty much her whole life now, and I can see that she's trying to be the best mother she possibly can, spending most of her money on his needs, and taking him to baby groups/library groups etc.

However, there are a few behaviours that I've seen that have got me slightly concerned for his welfare. I'm training in childcare and know roughly the stages of development he should be at, (although I know every child is very different) I really don't want to go to social, as I don't believe it's that serious, however I'm wondering how to talk to her and if there's any advice I can reasonably give...I don't have a child so I know she's more likely to see it as an insult.

- He is stuck in his high chair, IMO far too much. Last time I was over there for example, I was there for 2 hours and he was in there the whole time, save for nappy changing. She says that she doesn't want him crawling in the living room as she doesn't have a carpet yet, just floorboards, but I gave her a huge rug not long ago for that purpose.
- She is saying that she will not get him vaccinated, (MMR etc) because of scare stories that she's seen on the internet. I know this is a contentious issue, but it's gotten me worried.
- She is feeding him far too much mushy food. He should be on soft solids by now, but all she gives him is very mushy baby food, as she says he doesn't like the solid stuff. Surely this will impact speech development?
- She smokes in the house. I'm a smoker myself, but I feel very uncomfortable smoking in any house, let alone with a baby in there. Again, this is a behaviour born out of naivety, as she does it in the kitchen whilst he is in the living room, but I don't know how to get the danger across without seeming stuck up.

I'd like to reiterate that the baby is very well loved, and not at risk of any physical harm or neglect. It's just that she comes from an extremely troubled background and there are some thing which do concern me, as she just doesn't have some of the knowledge, and the last thing I want to do is come across as insulting or patronising.

I would just talk to her, given your background it's reasonable to say, if she has family who could do it for you you could approach them? the MMR thing was completely disproved, the guy who found the 'evidence' even admitted himself it was utter nonsense, you could try and persuade her to get the carpet out so you can play with the baby and ask if you can give him bits of your dinner etc so he tries new things and gets more of a taste, the smoking thing will probably be harder as she probaby sees no problem
Original post by Anonymous

- He is stuck in his high chair, IMO far too much. Last time I was over there for example, I was there for 2 hours and he was in there the whole time, save for nappy changing. She says that she doesn't want him crawling in the living room as she doesn't have a carpet yet, just floorboards, but I gave her a huge rug not long ago for that purpose. How about a travel cot/playpen? If he's happy in the highchair and has toys and stimulation, as well as going to mother and baby groups where he can crawl around then it shouldn't e too much of a problem. How about in her room, is there a carpet and space for him to crawl about?
- She is saying that she will not get him vaccinated, (MMR etc) because of scare stories that she's seen on the internet. I know this is a contentious issue, but it's gotten me worried. That's a personal choice but how about having her read this article http://www.voicesforvaccines.org/growing-up-unvaccinated/.
- She is feeding him far too much mushy food. You are not an expert even if you're doing a childcare course. He should be on soft solids by now, but all she gives him is very mushy baby food, as she says he doesn't like the solid stuff. Surely this will impact speech development? If he won't eat solid food, it's better that he's eating than not eating food at all. You're coming at this from the perspective of the textbook, all babies are completely different, they haven't read the textbook and a mother has to do what's best for their baby not what is the best thing if you're baby follows the guidelines.
- She smokes in the house. I'm a smoker myself, but I feel very uncomfortable smoking in any house, let alone with a baby in there. Again, this is a behaviour born out of naivety, as she does it in the kitchen whilst he is in the living room, but I don't know how to get the danger across without seeming stuck up. This is the only thing that is concerning, has she thought about quitting? It's a hard subject to bring up.

I'd like to reiterate that the baby is very well loved, and not at risk of any physical harm or neglect. It's just that she comes from an extremely troubled background and there are some thing which do concern me, as she just doesn't have some of the knowledge, and the last thing I want to do is come across as insulting or patronising. To be honest I think you are, you're not qualified in anything and she knows her baby better than anyone, just because you've read something in a textbook doesn't mean you know more about what's best for her son than she does.

People get very defensive when their parenting is criticised, it's hard work and she's doing the best she can for her son. The only worrying thing is her smoking.
I would educate her about the vaccination thing... the reports of it causing autism have basically been disproved now, find some articles for her to read, and show her the symptoms and risks of him catching the diseases she's planning to not vaccinate him for. Show her that the risk of not getting him vaccinated are more real and proven than the risks of not having him vaccinated. Its purely coincidental that signs of autism start to show around that age anyway and if he has it, it has nothing to do with vaccinations..

Discourage her from smoking in the same room as the baby... but ultimately, thats her choice.

The other things, I wouldn't overly worry about and would just put it down to individual parenting styles and opinions.
Eating mushy foods at 8 months old is not a problem. I'm still blending food for my 8 month old because, frankly, he never took to baby-led weaning particularly well.
It's an absolute non-issue.
And no, it will not "impact on speech development" at all. Not even remotely. You really should butt out here. I really have got no clue why you even would assume that an 8 month old eating mushy food is wrong.

Being stuck in a high chair all the time is unfortunate but still not enough for you to start calling SS! Just offer to play with the child on the rug a bit, or, as others have said, suggest a play pen.

Not getting the child vaccinated is the mother's prerogative. I delayed the MMR with my 3rd child, and I refused the new rotavirus vaccination for my 4th child (and will be delaying the MMR for him as well). You might disagree with it, but it really has got nothing whatsoever to do with you.

The smoking is the only serious concern here.
Reply 8
i hate people who treat children like animals, children need just as much stimulation as adults, what adult would be happy stuck in a place for hours?
as you can see from post 8 parents get VERY sensitive when their parenting is criticised, even by implication.

The high chair may not be much of an issue. When you are there your friend will want to talk to you without the distraction caused by watching the baby, he may be out of the chair much more when you aren't there. Also you mention the baby being taken to mother and baby groups and libraries so he's clearly getting a range of activities. Ask if you can play on the rug with the baby.

If she doesn't listen to her gp/health visitor about vaccination she's unlikely to listen to you. Showing her stories about children who have got measles when not vaccinated might make a difference. Professionals tend to concentrate on statistics when individual stories have more impact.

Mushy food can impact a bit on speech development but it's not going to be serious unless he's still on it at 5 - and that's unlikely as it's just too much fuss. It may mean he needs more orthodontal treatment later in life as his teeth may be too big for his jaw. However that's a common problem as our diets just aren't the same as they were and any difference is likely to be small. Once again what she does with you there may be different to the rest of the time, she probably won't want the mess of a baby with more solid food with you around.

You need to say something about the smoking but as you are a smoker you can do it by wanting a cigarette and going outside to smoke "because smoke does get everywhere doesn't it and it's so bad for the baby". That is more than enough criticism - and please do balance it with some praise of how well she is doing taking him places and how strong/healthy he looks. Mothers need to hear praise now and then! Passive smoking is bad for a baby but the effects wear off and it's far more important that he has a mother who loves him and is doing her best.

You could also ask her if she'd like a copy of a book by Allen Carr, maybe this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/014103940X. Try it yourself, his books seem to help a lot of people.
Original post by parentlurker
as you can see from post 8 parents get VERY sensitive when their parenting is criticised, even by implication.

I'm not being sensitive :s-smilie: It's not my child.

Mushy food can impact a bit on speech development but it's not going to be serious unless he's still on it at 5 - and that's unlikely as it's just too much fuss.

What loony would still be giving a 5 year old mushy food? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending