The Student Room Group

HCl is an acid or H+?

OK so would you say that HCl is an acid or H+ is an acid. If you say HCl is an acid then it doesn't fit the lewis acid definition of an acid. So what is the correct answer?
HCl fully dissociates in aqueous solution, meaning H+ and Cl- ions exist in the solution.

A Lewis Acid is one that accepts electrons right? So in this case NH3 + H+ -> NH4+ where the H+ is accepting electrons and a bond is formed.
Reply 2
Original post by SteelCookie
HCl fully dissociates in aqueous solution, meaning H+ and Cl- ions exist in the solution.

A Lewis Acid is one that accepts electrons right? So in this case NH3 + H+ -> NH4+ where the H+ is accepting electrons and a bond is formed.

Got it. Thanks!
Well I have to but in here......

H+ doesn't actually exist. The acidic molecule found in aqueous solutions of acids is the hydronium ion H3O+

This is different for all solvents but you'll only ever cover aqueous.

Now to say that HCl isn't a lewis acid is just wrong. Of course it can accept electrons, what do you think happens when you form the hydronium?

Bear in mind that the lewis definition is a far better and broader definition, you just cover it later so you assume it's somehow less important. Actually to the contrary. Bronsted acids are a seb-set of acids according to the lewis definition.
Reply 4
Original post by JMaydom
Well I have to but in here......

H+ doesn't actually exist. The acidic molecule found in aqueous solutions of acids is the hydronium ion H3O+

This is different for all solvents but you'll only ever cover aqueous.

Now to say that HCl isn't a lewis acid is just wrong. Of course it can accept electrons, what do you think happens when you form the hydronium?

Bear in mind that the lewis definition is a far better and broader definition, you just cover it later so you assume it's somehow less important. Actually to the contrary. Bronsted acids are a seb-set of acids according to the lewis definition.

I thought I had understood it but this actually helped further... Thanks!
Original post by Aaradhana
I thought I had understood it but this actually helped further... Thanks!

Well.... Just realise that A-level is just scratching the surface (and often just downright incorrect!)
Reply 6
Original post by JMaydom
Well.... Just realise that A-level is just scratching the surface (and often just downright incorrect!)

As is the H3O+ :wink:
Original post by Borek
As is the H3O+ :wink:

..... I hope you're just joking
Reply 8
Original post by JMaydom

Oh, I'm doing IB by the way... downright incorrect? Like half truths or something?
Original post by JMaydom

Well what you said was not entirely correct as well, since you are neglecting the fact that the excess proton in water often forms symmetric molecule H5O2+ in addition to the H3O+ form (i.e. Zundel complex).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aaradhana
Oh, I'm doing IB by the way... downright incorrect? Like half truths or something?

I have far less experience of IB but higher IB is a lot more in depth than A-level so far as i have seen.

Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Well what you said was not entirely correct as well, since you are neglecting the fact that the excess proton in water often forms symmetric molecule H5O2+ in addition to the H3O+ form (i.e. Zundel complex).

I hadn't ever heard of those. They're not surprising though being the intermediate form between proton exchange between water and hydronium. No reason why hydronium shouldn't be hydrated like any other ion
Original post by JMaydom
I have far less experience of IB but higher IB is a lot more in depth than A-level so far as i have seen.

I hadn't ever heard of those. They're not surprising though being the intermediate form between proton exchange between water and hydronium. No reason why hydronium shouldn't be hydrated like any other ion

Seems to be a common misconception that IB HL is more 'in-depth'

I've worked wth several A' level boards and currently with the IB and it's not the case.

There are areas where each out-performs the other. A' level is much better for organic and spectroscopy. IB is better for redox and acids.
Reply 12
Original post by JMaydom

No - Doctor_Einstein already mentioned what I was aiming at.

Hydrated protons have the general formula (H2O)nH+. n depends on the concentration, unfortunately to some extent it also depends on the method used to determine its value. Table in Electrochemistry by Koryta, Dvorak and Bohackova that I happen to have here lists 5 as determined using entropy of hydration and 1 or 2 as determined using compressibility.
Reply 13
Original post by charco

I've worked wth several A' level boards and currently with the IB and it's not the case.

There are areas where each out-performs the other. A' level is much better for organic and spectroscopy. IB is better for redox and acids.

Do you think I can cover up for that lesser depth in organic if I take further organic as my option?

My subject choice is PCM HL and I'm going to do engineering (undecided- but I'm sure I'll go for something more physics and math, surely not chemical engineering) in the future. In al the options topics, which ones do you think would be useful to me in the future?
Original post by charco

OK, well it's just the experience I have of it. I have taught a few different A-level boards and a bit of IB. The highers IB went into 1st year undergrad quite a lot.

Original post by Borek
No - Doctor_Einstein already mentioned what I was aiming at.

Hydrated protons have the general formula (H2O)nH+. n depends on the concentration, unfortunately to some extent it also depends on the method used to determine its value. Table in Electrochemistry by Koryta, Dvorak and Bohackova that I happen to have here lists 5 as determined using entropy of hydration and 1 or 2 as determined using compressibility.

mmm, interesting. As I said, I'd never encountered this but I suppose it's obvious in hindsight.

Quick Reply

Latest