The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices Dilemma...

Okay, so my problem is that I'm beginning to think the subjects I have chosen might be too much work. I therefore feel that I should change one of them, but I'm not sure which. For that reason, I'd really appreciate some help and advice from someone :smile:

Summary:
I'm currently in year 11 and I am predicted 10 A*-A's and 1 B (the B being in Italian, a subject I took up mid-Y10 which I'm not doing very well in and quite frankly I think I'd be lucky to get a B...). I took GCSE Core Science last year and got an A, and I was 4 marks off an A*. I study Art, Dance, English Lit, English Lang, Geography, German, History, Italian, Maths and Additional Science.

My favourite subjects are Science and Maths, and the others are all equally liked, really. I hope to study Bio NatSci one day, so that's my main goal at the moment. Eventually, I'm thinking of having a career in research.

I applied to college in September, and have received an unconditional offer. Originally I applied for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths, but after talking to teachers I think it would be too much work, so I am hoping to going to change Physics for another subject.

I'm having a really tricky time deciding, and I don't really know what to do. So I thought I'd ask you for some help.

Do you take these subjects? If so, is it too much work?

Would you swap physics for something else?

Should I pick a subject with more coursework, e.g. Art?

What sort of subjects go well with Science/Maths?

If you could answer any of these questions, I would be very grateful.

Original post by Caitlin_3008
Okay, so my problem is that I'm beginning to think the subjects I have chosen might be too much work. I therefore feel that I should change one of them, but I'm not sure which. For that reason, I'd really appreciate some help and advice from someone :smile:

Summary:
I'm currently in year 11 and I am predicted 10 A*-A's and 1 B (the B being in Italian, a subject I took up mid-Y10 which I'm not doing very well in and quite frankly I think I'd be lucky to get a B...). I took GCSE Core Science last year and got an A, and I was 4 marks off an A*. I study Art, Dance, English Lit, English Lang, Geography, German, History, Italian, Maths and Additional Science.

My favourite subjects are Science and Maths, and the others are all equally liked, really. I hope to study Bio NatSci one day, so that's my main goal at the moment. Eventually, I'm thinking of having a career in research.

I applied to college in September, and have received an unconditional offer. Originally I applied for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths, but after talking to teachers I think it would be too much work, so I am hoping to going to change Physics for another subject.

I'm having a really tricky time deciding, and I don't really know what to do. So I thought I'd ask you for some help.

Do you take these subjects? If so, is it too much work?

Would you swap physics for something else?

Should I pick a subject with more coursework, e.g. Art?

What sort of subjects go well with Science/Maths?

If you could answer any of these questions, I would be very grateful.

If you are wanting to change a subject for anything else i choose geography. I know geography goes well with those subjects, and if you are wanting to go into something biology based at uni, it might be useful. I did it at a-level and really enjoyed it.
Speak to teachers again, about the subjects you have taken. Dont doubt yourself, as you are clearly clever- hence the predicted grades you have. You could always drop a subject if you found it too much anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by Emma:-)
If you are wanting to change a subject for anything else i choose geography. I know geography goes well with those subjects, and if you are wanting to go into something biology based at uni, it might be useful. I did it at a-level and really enjoyed it.

Do you still have to learn case studies if you do it at A-Level? I have to revise for 18 case studies at the moment, as well as all the main topics:confused: It's stressing me out...
Do you still have to learn case studies if you do it at A-Level? I have to revise for 18 case studies at the moment, as well as all the main topics:confused: It's stressing me out...

Yeah, you have to learn case studies. But you get used to it. Some of the case studies are similar to gcse, so you remember them. And some case studies are the same/similar for different topics, so you remember them.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
Yeah, you have to learn case studies. But you get used to it. Some of the case studies are similar to gcse, so you remember them. And some case studies are the same/similar for different topics, so you remember them.

Hmmm, I don't think I'd manage geography... but I can see what you mean, with it being helpful :smile: Thanks.
Hmmm, I don't think I'd manage geography... but I can see what you mean, with it being helpful :smile: Thanks.

Id definately stick with the subjects you have. They would be good.
It might also be useful to look at entry requirements on unis websites to see if they specify any particular subjects (as well as grades etc).

Quick Reply